COmpany storage system? (1 Viewer)

Johno2003

What storage do company use these days to backup their data, from data loss - data failure or even data protection?

Servers?
Tape drives?

Anything else?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
I thought some did it on DVD's ?

Tape drives was so 10years ago LOL!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
i think most companies use magnetic tape (yes i know it is prehistoric) and thou it does not support direct access and only has sequential access it is cheap so they can backup cheaply...they also use firewalls, encrypting etc... i shld know 4 sure since i just did IPT exam this week but brain has gone to mush

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
most companies are using RAID setups because they are automatic and works well

sunny

meh.
HSC
Grizzly said:
I thought some did it on DVD's ?

Tape drives was so 10years ago LOL!
Believe it or not, tape drives still offer one of the largest possible storage mediums for backup and are still in common usage. Prices vary alot, but you're looking at about 320GB per tape sometimes for ~$100. Thats no bad at all.

Something else you can look into are Storage Area Networks (SANs).

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Oh ok, i thought tape drives are unreliable though.
Not safe for back-ing up.

sunny

meh.
HSC
If they are well kept, theres no reason why they wouldn't last a reasonable amount of time. Of course they don't have the same lifespan as optical media, but for what they're worth its very reasonable. Tape drives if you look around tend to be used for daily and weekly backups of networks etc, usually not for long term archival purposes (that you would use optical media), so storage isn't really a problem.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Johno2003 said:
You mentioned the RAID setup. Whats the most popular brand/model they used in todays companies?
i got this from Johno in a PM, i don't know why we can't discuss this here? :)

there are sooooo many different raid setups these days, SCSI setups were the norm back when IDE was limited to 100MB/sec but these days when SATA came along things have changed
two of the most widely used brands for RAID controllers are Adaptec and High Point. High Point recently has grown in popularity over Adaptec, but Adaptec as a company is getting smaller compared to its hey-days reason is that they make dodge software

there are sooooo many RAID setups available, but most people would say RAID5 offers the best backup system because it is both redundent and fast

i would have no idea what system companies would use, things like this are never really disclosed to the rest of the world

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)