Comparison of Maths Ext 2 books (1 Viewer)

Inverse

HSC
Fitzpatrick does have worked solutions now, but as mentioned, a lot of questions aren't exam style and there are still errors in the solutions. Some questions are just useless. Personally, I think its good practise though some areas aren't covered in detail (e.g complex vectors and roots of unity).
But hands down Cambridge and Terry Lee 4u - would recommend those two particularly! :)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Na Cambridge 4u is not good. Terry Or Ptel and Coroneos has range of exam style questions

Makematics

HSC
Na Cambridge 4u is not good. Terry Or Ptel and Coroneos has range of exam style questions
Terry lee doesnt really... Cambridge is good for building basics, terry lee is alright but sometimes he goes nuts and puts in totally irrelevant shit. I did enjoy his volumes and integration chapters though :)

braintic

HSC
N/A
Cambridge is good for building basics
The exact opposite of this. Cambridge does almost no 'building' of concepts. In each exercise there are a couple of basic questions, then its straight into the hard stuff.

Makematics

HSC
The exact opposite of this. Cambridge does almost no 'building' of concepts. In each exercise there are a couple of basic questions, then its straight into the hard stuff.
Really? Apart from maybe complex numbers, i didnt really find this to be the case... For example, all of the volumes questions and integration questions were easy difficulty

iBibah

HSC
Really? Apart from maybe complex numbers, i didnt really find this to be the case... For example, all of the volumes questions and integration questions were easy difficulty
Maybe you're just too beast for these "deep-end" questions ;)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I liked cheating in Terry Lee. huehue. lol jks...only did so when I was completely lost.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of topics, I personally recommend:
Coroneous for Complex Numbers - this one has by far the most challenging questions for complex numbers.

Patel for Integration (I really like this book in general in the way it splits the topics up), I borrowed it from the library and loved how it summarised the course, but this topic I reckon is its strength. As many have noticed, this one is also the best for "notes" in my opinion.

Fitzpatrick is terrible for Complex Numbers; and is mixed for Conics (not much moderate stuff). Some of the conics stuff in Fitzpatrick is good if you need a challenge, although the newest version waters down it a bit, and the "multiple choice" questions as well as the ones before it in the new version are just bad.
The best section is that for some parts of mechanics: conical pendulum and banked tracks part of mechanics. I personally would recommend the older version of Fitzpatrick if you want a harder book. (edit: maybe not)

Cambridge and Terry Lee are two good all-rounders for most topics, especially the latter. Cambridge is good for questions but not for learning the concepts, use anything else.

The old Arnold-Arnold book apparently has some good reduction questions for integration, as afore mentioned.
My school also used Couchman and various other old textbooks as well at times.

Also the MANSW solutions for the older HSC exams are your best bet for pre-2000 exams, and Terry Lee's are also good for the years that it is available for.

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC
Really ? I found the older version of Fitzpatrick bad compared to the newer one?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Really ? I found the older version of Fitzpatrick bad compared to the newer one?
The new one has multiple choice questions which are pointless; and the summaries are sometimes lacking (although at least the new version has them). I think that Patel is the best book of the lot for revision excluding the exercises. (He also wrote the Excel book which is reasonable)

leehuan

HSC
Patel's textbook was my main textbook. I extracted a ton out of it.

But it's pathetic for graphs and it's inequalities are biased on the algebraic ones.
-------------
Apart from M/C new Fitzpatrick has been argued by several people to be superior to old
-------------
Edit: I'm joking. It's not pathetic for graphs. But it goes into a bit too much with it. Most of the time the HSC gives you an arbitrary graph to make alterations; not make you do function of a function etc with KNOWN functions e.g. e^(sinx) as opposed to e^f(x) where y=f(x) gives you this random graph

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Patel's textbook was my main textbook. I extracted a ton out of it.

But it's pathetic for graphs and it's inequalities are biased on the algebraic ones.
-------------
Apart from M/C new Fitzpatrick has been argued by several people to be superior to old
-------------
Edit: I'm joking. It's not pathetic for graphs. But it goes into a bit too much with it. Most of the time the HSC gives you an arbitrary graph to make alterations; not make you do function of a function etc with KNOWN functions e.g. e^(sinx) as opposed to e^f(x) where y=f(x) gives you this random graph
Would agree mostly; my school breezed mostly over the graphs section however. The new fitzpatrick is better in most areas, than the old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)