• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

composition..? what composition...? (1 Viewer)

skankit

tell me, am i SLIGHTLY screwed?

its friday. we're recording our compositions on monday. i've written one of them, but i've only written one minute of the other. one minute. of a 3 minute piece. and i now have the weekend (and half of monday) to write another 2 minutes...

i was originally writing for big band, its been cut to solo trumpet because of lack of time.

i also havent written in my composition diary since march.

fun weekend I'M up for.... :uhhuh:

anyone else in a similar boat? do you reckon i can pull it off??? :(

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
haha yeah i know what u mean.. youll be fine dont worry!!
ive just started my comps a few wks ago (3u), one for reduced stage band (VERY reduced lol) and one for clarinet quartet.. and ive done my whole portfolio in 4 days (almost finished) cos its due monday. but u have it a bit worse seeing as you're recording mon.. but yeah if you're spending the whole weekend on it i think you'll be right (unless your portfolio is due as well? that makes it a little harder!) cos u sound like a great musician =)

i've found the composing a helluva lot easier than the portfolio, if we didnt have to do that freakin thing id hardly be stressed at all!! i just want to get on with my comps grrrrrrr
anywayz gd luck this w/e!!!!
what are your comps like (style etc?)

cayte

I was exactly the same when I was doing it (coupla years ago now). You'll be fine, you may be disappointed when you get your final mark, but it won't be bad. I actually changed from jazz composition for stage band to impressionist for piano (1900-1945 if I remember correctly). And the port should burn in the nadir of hades.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
skankit said:
tell me, am i SLIGHTLY screwed?

its friday. we're recording our compositions on monday. i've written one of them, but i've only written one minute of the other. one minute. of a 3 minute piece. and i now have the weekend (and half of monday) to write another 2 minutes...

i was originally writing for big band, its been cut to solo trumpet because of lack of time.

i also havent written in my composition diary since march.

fun weekend I'M up for.... :uhhuh:

anyone else in a similar boat? do you reckon i can pull it off??? :(
mate, i know exactly how u feel.. my compo (core one) is meant to be ready to submit on monday and i havent even started.. ive only written bullcrap in my portfolio so far.. :( im screwed basically..

skankit

I DID IT!! :uhhuh:

i just pretty much finished. im gonna run through it now on trumpet (ive only been playing it on piano so far) but i did it. i tried to make it as1900-1945 as possibl, like overly. its mostly wholetone, with a slightly jazy section, and the whole thing is non retrogradable.

as in, theres a semibreeve in the middle witha trill, and if you folded the piece in half there, it would be completely symetrical (yay for Messiaens quartet for the end of time!!!!)

i ahvent finishedmy portfolio.. but oh well. god im happy! thanks for helping me :D

oh if you were wondering, my core comp is for brass quartet (well its now 3 trumpets and trombone coz i couldnt find a good horn player) and its supposed to be a musical representation of the stages of grieving.. its kinda crap but oh well.

luvs

skankit

moon_styla said:
mate, i know exactly how u feel.. my compo (core one) is meant to be ready to submit on monday and i havent even started.. ive only written bullcrap in my portfolio so far.. :( im screwed basically..
good luck! im sure you can do it :)

and just think, in your final hsc, this is worth 7.5 marks. thats it! so dont get too stressed

chepas

HSC
I've finished my 3U composition just a few weeks ago, and I'm using a choir + weirdarse ensemble and learning is very slooow. Recording on September 2 (cutting it fine!)

Core - am doing it now. It's crap. I'm glad it's only short... portfolio is virtually non-existant

Elective - doing a prelude and fugue. Almost finished prelude, fugue is in a bad state, so is portfolio.

YAY 4am finishes for composition....

skankit

its the onlyw ay to do it. i actually really like my one i did in a day, im proud of it!

we recorded ours today and i fucked mine up BIG time... everyones like dont worry, they mark the recordings, theyre just a guide. but im sure it doesnt hurt to have a good one! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH :mad:

chepas

HSC
Ahhh.. Recordings question...

That's the thing about the recordings. Are they taken really seriously? They say that the 'recordings are just as a guide', yet in one of the standards packages one of the comments on the exemplar response (I think? This is 2002) that "there were some anomalies between the score and the recording." - does this mean that we need the most precision musicians that get everything completely right as written? Cos I as I'm rehearsing mine with my ensemble/s, I still can't get right rhythms out of them, even after playing the godawful sibelius midi to them... (and yes, practice would seem to be the obvious thing but. let's leave it at a hmmm.....).

skankit

i dont know.. your sposed to have the recording as close to the score as possible, but like they allow for mistakes by performers.

like mine was a brass quartet (in which i played 3 of the parts myself :() and so i guess they allow for split notes and stuff like that.. i dont know though, i hope they use their brains a bit coz i had one MAD bit in my composition that screwed up in the recording and it doesnt sound like its sposed to, and im hoping theyll realise what its meant to sound liek?? stupid music! so stressful!!!!

vicksta

HSC
mmm nobody realises how stressful music is as a subject..not only all the set works and concepts to learn, but the bloody compos/performances/essays to do too!! I reckon we should all get default band 6 marks just for surviving the year!!!
Apart from compos (im recording mine tuesday...arrgh.. major stress), i find that finding accompanists is sooo difficult and not to mention expensive!
For my trials, i needed a new violin player, cos my old one was having a baby, and i seriously rang 20 violinists before i found one who could do it!!! Can anybody else empathise????

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
ahh i know exactly how you feel vicksta, my bloody accompanist decided to go oversea and not tell me, so i had to organised a crappy last minute accompanist that stuffed up my trials :(...and composition ahh. im so crap at that, i can never get good ideas. its due so soon and it only goes for 1:30 so far...ahhh bloody HSC Music.

skankit

man i totally empathise, our drummer went and joined the airforce so we ahd to find a new one and he way charged us heaps... grrrr

music is soooooo the hardest subject, like everyones all "its such a bludge" but as if!!!

it just takes SO much time, coz as well as doing at least an hr of practice a night you also gotta write compositions and learn stuff for the written... but its so worth it :) i love music

im SO glad my compositions are over! as much as i dont think theyre that good, i dont care anymore. just so glad theyre finished

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:
i dont know.. your sposed to have the recording as close to the score as possible, but like they allow for mistakes by performers.

like mine was a brass quartet (in which i played 3 of the parts myself :() and so i guess they allow for split notes and stuff like that.. i dont know though, i hope they use their brains a bit coz i had one MAD bit in my composition that screwed up in the recording and it doesnt sound like its sposed to, and im hoping theyll realise what its meant to sound liek?? stupid music! so stressful!!!!
hey i wrote mine for a brass quartet as well!!! hehe my comp is crapy, but it has some cool bits in it where the 1st trumpet is marked 'fffffff' and goes up to a high G!! And the tuba does some multiphonics and stuff. We recorded it the other night and it went ok... people kept stuffing up though (including myself!). Oh well, at least it gives the markers a general idea of what its meant to sound like... i hope!!

My elective comp is for trumpet and orchestra - and it was a nightmare to try and record it cos our school orchestra is sooooo shit especially the strings they are so shit. The recording sounds ok, except im really out of tune !! o well

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:

hey i wrote mine for a brass quartet as well!!! hehe my comp is crapy, but it has some cool bits in it where the 1st trumpet is marked 'fffffff' and goes up to a high G!! And the tuba does some multiphonics and stuff. We recorded it the other night and it went ok... people kept stuffing up though (including myself!). Oh well, at least it gives the markers a general idea of what its meant to sound like... i hope!!

My elective comp is for trumpet and orchestra - and it was a nightmare to try and record it cos our school orchestra is sooooo shit especially the strings they are so shit. The recording sounds ok, except im really out of tune !! o well

chepas

HSC
Just finished core comp... Thank god for cut/paste/transpose functions. It's only 1.40 and kinda repettive but I am so over it I just don't care anymore... I've got to get a portfolio together.

^^
'fffffff' and goes up to a high G!!
Nice dynamic and note!! :p

The second movement to my extension comp is in E Major, modulating to C# major, so it has been an experience rehearsing it with the ensemble! I had to go back and translate parts into Db because some people find flats easier, though some people find sharps easier. - there's never a happy medium.

skankit

trumpet geek said:
hey i wrote mine for a brass quartet as well!!! hehe my comp is crapy, but it has some cool bits in it where the 1st trumpet is marked 'fffffff' and goes up to a high G!! And the tuba does some multiphonics and stuff.
man where did you find people who could play it? im so jealous! i had to play mine myself because i thought my teacher was mad at me (but he wasnt... damn it) and i like hadnt practiced since my trial so it sounded SO bad...

my comp was really boring.. all like long notes and stuff except one section thats too fast and i couldnt play it :eek:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:
man where did you find people who could play it? im so jealous! i had to play mine myself because i thought my teacher was mad at me (but he wasnt... damn it) and i like hadnt practiced since my trial so it sounded SO bad...

my comp was really boring.. all like long notes and stuff except one section thats too fast and i couldnt play it :eek:
hehe i got my friends to play in my brass quartet - the guy who played 1st trumpet hes a freak hes only 18 and he plays really realy high and really really loud so i wrote the part especially for him! Twas funny we had to record it like 6 times cos we kept screwing up .... i got scared cos i thought he was going to explode from playing all those high notes! woops!

skankit

well you know how compositions are due on monday? i had my drama performance on friday, so i completely forgot to print them, and so i cant get them bound... fuck what can i do??

im just hoping like HELL my school can bind....

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
mine is due in exactly 8 hours and 24 minutes
what do you mean bind?
you have to bind your comps??!?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)