• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

compSci or IT? (1 Viewer)

sunny

meh.
HSC
No there is a fair bit of difference - IT tends to study the technology at a higher level than comp sci or the other computing degrees. For example, you might learn how to create a database and use it in IT, but it computing you'll be learning how the database works, and the algorithms that drive it.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
basically speaking CompSci is harder than IT
lol
theres also a B Computing..... which has more of a business side to it eg. business information systems, e-business...

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by miss_pie
but iT is more highly looked upon?
depends from who is interviewing you for the job and what the job is.

Law is highly looked upon, but useless if they're apply for as an maintenance engineer at rolls royce.

miss_pie

HSC
ok. so what areas of employment would each degree be beneficial for?? sorry for all the questions. and if i wanted a programing position in the long run id do compSci?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by miss_pie
ok. so what areas of employment would each degree be beneficial for?? sorry for all the questions. and if i wanted a programing position in the long run id do compSci?
Comp sci opens you up to most computing jobs. I don't know about BIT/IT programs - but for a strictly programming position you might even want to look at software engineering, and it teaches software development and managment skills (not just programming).

Majesty

HSC
N/A
I was/am doing a BIT or (BCIS which was the old name for the degree). In all honestly it feels more like a software engineering/computer science degree with a tad of Information Systems.

COMP114 - Introduction To Information Systems
COMP115 - Introduction To Computer Science
COMP125 - Fundamentals Of Computer Science
COMP225 - Algorithms & Data Structures
COMP249 - Web Technology
COMP227 - Requirements Analysis & Systems Design
COMP226 - Computer Architecture
COMP224 - Database Systems

If you want a techy job, i'd go with a CompSci degree. If you want more of a business related/info tech degree (recommend a double degree here) then IT/Information Systems would be the way to go. In reality there is a lot of overlapping between the two degrees.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
IT has more of a mangement and leadership focus in it, where as comp sci is focused towards programming.

i'd say IT is much more higly regarded in australia (judging by the uai cutoffs at usyd and uts), but in the US, a comp sci degree is much more valued.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Put it this way:

Telstra just rentrenched much of its software engineers that mostly programmed...

In Australia its a mixed bag... Jobs tend to be more IT management focused rather than programming...

You see, they outsource to places to India and Asia because they are more effecient workers and the job costs less...

But saying this, I know lots of programmers in Oz earning lots of money with secure jobs...

kantong

dun worri just choose one u like best now and if u dont like it, change at the end of the yr or after 1 sem coz mostly first yr subjects will be core subjects between IT and B. Sci.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)