Computer is CHOKING HARDCORE (1 Viewer)

blackbunny

HSC
i boot up my pc ( took me about 40 seconds usual time ) and i notice that it does not run that fast. later i restart it and it simply took 10 minutes to get to desktop and from then on it was toooo slow, about 3 minutes to open each application. so i installed norton and scanned and got nothing out of it.
some ppl told me to scan for staker virus or watever you call it and it found it and deleted it.

anyway i restarted and then it took me full 30 minutes ( 20 minutes from the boot splash and 10 from the logon window) , thats right 30 minutes to get to desktop. and from then on its just way to slow.

lucky i have lynix installed on a different partition and it seems to run fine.

when i try to install windows to a different partition ( thats installing from the cd, as if you just reformated) i get to the choice of wat i want to do ( ie, install windows, go to recovery console, and some other option. so i press enter to install windows) it just hangs on the "searching for the previous versions of windows" so i just restart.

WTF!? are my disks failing?

HELP ME PLEASE. GOT UNI EXAMS NOW NEED PC TO PREPARE AS LINUX SUPPORTS NOTHING.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its the RIAA's way of telling you 'ha this is what happens when you post how big your e-penis collection is'

Seriously: It sounds like a memory problem, perhaps a chip fried or something.

Disks failing usually means you can hear the harddrive trying to seek and fucking itself out like a grinding sound.

Try plugging the hard drive into another computer, and see if that helps, but it could be hardware. Enough cooling?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yeh, I remember when my 6GB HD failed 5 years ago.. the noise was pretty loud and disturbing in a way. So yes, could be:

HD.
Could be the memory.
PSU might also have something to do with it.
Viruses. You said you used Norton and got nothing out of it. Now network your comp to another and use their AV to scan your computer.

Try out your RAM chips on another computer to see if that's the problem.
Try the HD on another computer too.. just try to isolate the problem.

But being a smart fellow, I'm sure you periodically backed up your data right?

blackbunny

HSC
maybe its not disk fauilre. caz i have windows and linux on same physical disks but on different partitions. windows wont run good, and wont even get to the screen where it asks me for the drive to install. just hangs on the "searching for the previous versions of windows".
im using linux as we speak and it runs fine.

OMG IM AM CUT

Collin

HSC
N/A
Here's some advice. Next time you have to reinstall Windows, make a third partition. That's where you keep all your files like documents, music, movies, photos etc. That way, if one of your OS partitions fail, your documents aren't bound by it in that partition.

That's what I do (except I actually have two HDs, 1 40GB for hosting Windows and 1 250GB for keeping all my data). That way, if my Windows screws up due to whatever reason, I simply reformat and I don't even have to worry about losing any precious data. If you do this though, it wont prevent you from losing your data if your HD fails.. but of course if Windows itself only fails, you still get to keep your data.

As for your current dilemma, download a program called Memtest and let it run for a few hours. Basically tests the integrity of your memory.

blackbunny

HSC
i backed up most of important stuff. but it wont let me reformat or install to another partition. and this is why i have lynix installed caz i know windows will fail so at least i can still use my pc

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
same thing happened to me before...i tried everything but didnt work and im not a noob...so i had to format...but i backedup my important stuff onto another comp before doing so...

i think the only thing u can do is format...to not lose info..gotto a mates place or woteva and transfer all ur important stuff

blackbunny

HSC
when i put the cd in and it loads all the stuff. and then i have to press f8 to agree to the agreement. then im supposed to get into the thing were i press L to delete the partition. but it does not it just sits on the "searching for the previous versions of windows" at the bottom of the screen. I CAN NOT REFORMAT. OMFG

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
blackbunny said:
when i put the cd in and it loads all the stuff. and then i have to press f8 to agree to the agreement. then im supposed to get into the thing were i press L to delete the partition. but it does not it just sits on the "searching for the previous versions of windows" at the bottom of the screen. I CAN NOT REFORMAT. OMFG
Sounds like a memory module, exact same thing happened to me, but i could get up to 75% install, then it just wouldn't kick over.

One of the memory chips had fried itself.

Enoch

HSC
windows xp only needs 256mbs to run

take all ur sticks out except for one...then see which is the one via process of elimination...to see which is killing ur comp. try that.

blackbunny

HSC
woot. managed to delete the partiton through lynix.

anyway. i reinstalled. which was slower that usual. still the computer is just slow. not as before but still really slow. AND THAT IS AFTER I REFORMATED.

.......... tear :'(

Collin

HSC
N/A
Dude, try what everyone has been suggesting and determine whether or not it's the memory. So either take the chips out and try it on another computer/use only one chip at a time or download memtest.

blackbunny

HSC
its not the memory . i just installed on a new disk and everything is fine. so i think its the disk :( so much for 160

Last edited:

Enoch

HSC
...lol u went and bought a new hd...doubt it was hardware related..

Collin

HSC
N/A
Well you know, HDs contain platters which spin at thousands of times per minute. They gotta fail eventually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)