computer randomly freezing (1 Viewer)

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
hi all, I need some help.

Lately my computer has been randomly freezing. It freezes when I play games e.g. BF2 and browsing the net. Now this problem didn't happen until recently, and this computer is new +- 1.5 months old.

The specs are:

Windows XP Pro
Palit 7600GT 256mb graphics card
CPU AMD 64 3200+ CPU
Ram 1gb
Gigabyte K8t890 series mobo
Super Multi DVD burner LG
80g hard drive.
Thermaltake Mambo Case

Now I don't know exactly what the problem is.
I checked the temperature of the CPU/GPU during running games.
When running games, the GPU is at 45 degrees whilst the CPU is at 30 degrees give or take.

I opened up my case to have a look at the inside for the first time since buying it, and cleaned up some dust (which wasn't alot) and the fans are quite big, which look quite sufficient to cool most if not both the heat intensive components.

The CPU looks like its using the stock fan. whilst the GPU has its own heatsink and fan + with the addition of the mobo's back fan.

I highly doubt its a heat problem particularly at this time of year.

Another possibility is faulty RAM, but unless that could be a possibility I haven't tested that yet.

Does anyone with the computer-ness know what else I could test for to get to the root of the problem? It could very well be a hardware problem, but how would I go to diagnose it first? Could it be a software problem as well? I recently installed about 5 games onto the computer...

The freezes are random, and can happen at least once a day. It is getting annoying, but before taking the computer to the computer person as a last ditch effort, I want to see if anyone has ideas and solutions to this very annoying problem.

Thanks all!

sunny

meh.
HSC
Random lock ups generally are either temperature related, or because of bad RAM. If its software related then its not really random and you just haven't noticed the pattern yet. Try use your computer in safe mode / with very few programs running and see what happens.

If you suspect RAM: http://www.memtest.org/

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
thanks sunny,

I'll check out the site about RAM testing, I did come across it earlier but brushed it off because of its wall of text.

If anyone has more ideas, keep them flowing

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
a faulty network adapter was causing lockups for me before (playing BF2 online?), but id check your RAM first.

tempco

HSC
Or it could be bad sectors on your HD. Although that's quite unlikely on a new computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)