Computing courses for Actuarial (1 Viewer)

FuJu

HSC
In the ACTL1001 WebCT Vista files, a document was put up encouraging students to undertake a relevant computing subject as a General Education course to complement their studies in Actuarial.

I was just wondering if there were any recommendations or suggestions as to which computing subjects would be of most use?

Cheers.

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
In the ACTL1001 WebCT Vista files, a document was put up encouraging students to undertake a relevant computing subject as a General Education course to complement their studies in Actuarial.

I was just wondering if there were any recommendations or suggestions as to which computing subjects would be of most use?

Cheers.
COMP1911 - Covers programming language C

LordPc

HSC
COMP1911 - Covers programming language C
COMP1911 - Covers half of the programming language C, comp1921 covers ther other half.

I wouldnt advise anyone to take 1911. take COMP1917 instead because

comp1911 + comp1921 = comp1917

so by the end of comp1917 you have learnt how to program in C, whereas if you take comp1911 you still need to take 1921 to learn some of the most useful things in C.

another reason is that after about 4 weeks in comp1917, you have learnt the entire comp1911 course. so if you find that the course is too hard for you or its moving too quickly, you can move to comp1911 around week 4 and the rest of the year will be revision. but if you find that the course is moving at a reasonable pace, you can continue. going from 1911 to 1917 is a little harder though

especially if you are taking a comp course as an elective, I think you should be trying to get the most out of it. the only thing is that comp1917 isnt easy and will take time to learn how to program. it is 6 contact hours a week and it requires you to practice programming at home too. so it might be a little to intensive for a gen ed

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
if you want it easy then do ENGG1811. very basic and covers abit of VBA

EDIT - read it was for actuarials, disregard my post - go for the ones above me

Last edited:

shinn

HSC
I'm doing comm/sci with actuarial and have done COMP1917 this semester. I picked to do it purely out of interest. As LordPc has stated, it covers twice the amount of content as COMP1911 so I wouldn't do this unless you are also really interested in programming.

I suggest doing COMP1911, I think its enough for general programming skills that you'll need in actuarial such as writing macros in VBA/excel.

Last edited:

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
I'm doing comm/sci with actuarial and have done COMP1917 this semester. I picked to do it purely out of interest. As LordPc has stated, it covers twice the amount of content as COMP1911 so I wouldn't do this unless you are also really interested in programming.

I suggest doing COMP1911, I think its enough for general programming skills that you'll need in actuarial such as writing macros in VBA/excel.
I agree with shinn - I did COMP1911 and I found it sufficiently challenging already - with the assignments I mean. The final exam wasn't so bad - but the assignments, I wouldn't've done it without a friend to do it together with (not plagiarising, just working together).

stupid_girl

HSC
N/A
I would suggest MATH2871.
It teaches you the computer software SAS and involves some basic programming techniques.

I believe that it can be count as general education as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)