COMSOC seriously sucks...sending out overdue messages/emails..unorganised & worthless (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL jago you know uhawww?

jago, secks in comlabs~

hero.

HSC
N/A
Re: COMSOC seriously sucks...sending out overdue messages/emails..unorganised & worth

hello wrong turn,

are there any volunteer opportunities at comsoc at the moment?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: COMSOC seriously sucks...sending out overdue messages/emails..unorganised & worth

recently there was positions for the ball committee that was advertised on the comsoc website.

but there should be some opening up soon. what year are you? pm me

dexst8r

HSC
N/A

wrong_turn said:
recently there was positions for the ball committee that was advertised on the comsoc website.

but there should be some opening up soon. what year are you? pm me
>< some ppl were spot on above

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad

haha thats ok. its gonna be a new year next year. theres still time left at uni. get involved. the constituent societies are as good as its members make it become.

Avanti

HSC
wrong_turn said:
yeh like uhawww just mentioned. the people in comsoc do not get paid for it. they do it for free. they volunteers. and what a lot of people dont recognise is that these are student volunteers.

thats right STUDENT volunteers. meaning that they are primarily students and secondly are volunteers.
Your point is? Many of us have commitments outside of study. That's not an excuse to stuff up at work or when volunteering. What do employers look for? (let's not deny many join commsoc to beef up their resumés). The ability to balance work and study. Yes that actually means you have to be able to handle BOTH things effectively. If the commsoc team doesn’t have the time to commit, then don't do it.

I understand the frustration of the OP. I received an email of an event AFTER it had occured.

The fact of the matter is, many students, especially 1st years, do not have the industry knowledge to find these events and opportunities by themselves. Often they won’t know the various names of these companies. That's where commsoc steps in to help. Commsoc markets itself as a large organisation that has vast industry and alumni networks as well as a dedicated team to organise events and bring the latest information to commerce/eco students.

That's what commsoc tells its members and that's what they promise during elections. Therefore we expect that they won't make basic errors like sending out overdue event notices. It hasn't just happened once. it's happened quite a number of times. Don't turn around and tell us "it's not our fault, commsoc comes second!". Members have a right to be angry.

I acknowledge that they do many things successfully. But they should at least also acknowledge there a many mistakes that they should not be making.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
as you have stated that comsoc has completed some things successfully. well i am not part of the careers portfolio so this is an opinion. careers is the one which deals with the above events which you have accustomed comsoc with dealing (i.e. industry opportunities with access to a vast industry and alumni networks).

notices that are brought to the attention of the careers portfolio is brought to the attention by the companies themselves. therefore we process the information when we receive it. and just out of curiosity, what overdue notices are you mentioning?

you state that we are making basic errors. you have to realise that during planning, on paper, they look good but when put to practice, some things do not work. and i do not mean the actual structure of the event, but also when people have to pull out, shortage of memebers to make sure the event runs smoothly, companies pulling out, companies arriving late etc.

as i have stated in this thread, if you want to complain about how disastrously comsoc is doing, do something about it. i know you dont want to hear it, but primarily we are students and we commit to comsoc concurrently with the rest of our everday lives. i am also aware that some people who help out with comsoc just want to spice up their resume. however, by branding all people who help out with comsoc as the aforementioned is wrong.

its tough to be a volunteer. i personally still study full time, have 2 jobs amounting to over 20 hours a week and still help out with comsoc. i know others in the team who work even more hours than me.

Jagermeister.

HSC

dexst8r said:
seriously the most unrespected, shit, crap UNSW....:mad1::burn:
t okay

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
After having spent nearly two years at university and having been involved with all sorts of societies, I've have come up with a singular conclusion...

I have a developed a serious contempt for most student societies and organisations.

The reason being that students mostly have short-term interests in whatever they do at uni so as such, they try to get as much as they can out of whatever they do by whatever means necessary. In other words, most societies amount to petty power-struggles (like there is any real fucking power anyway, hahaha) between its members when it comes to naming positions, engaging in annual/new activities and etc. or they amount to pure inactivity due to a general sense of apathy within the society or within us university students who couldn't be fucked going to their events. I find that the bigger faculty societies tend to experience either scenario the most.

However, I have made one exception. The revues. Everyone has clear, pre-defined roles and we will always know that there is a tangible and consistent result due to their efforts, the actual revue itself (irrespective of its quality). I find that the revues are in general, the most substantial societies to get involved with as you will be given a definite role (cast, tech, directors, etc) and will actively need to rehearse it for hours on end before the week of performance. For the record, the most I have done for the reviews is front of house and a few scripts so I'm not one of those revue die-hards.

Lastly, I find it amusing seeing how most first-year students want to get involved in societies in the first few weeks of university only to see how their lazyness wins out as they lose complete interest later on.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)