Confused.. (1 Viewer)

Fruitsalad

HSC
Hey all,

I'm just wondering, what is the difference between content analysis and secondary research. According to the BOS, they are very different, but from teachers I've heard they are kind of similar...:confused:

Is secondary research what all students must do, and content analysis an optional methodology?

cmckie

HSC
Hey, yeah you are right. Secondary research is getting background research on a particular topic through books or off the internet, where as content analysis is a primary reserach methodology that involves breaking down sources, such as newspaper articles and looking for trends etc

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Content analysis is a fair bit different because you're analysing the composer's own values as expressed through the text for your own purpose. A lot of it involves counting the number of times certain themes, concepts, emotive language, positive versus negative representations of social groups/persons/etc appear. It's a lot of tallying to get through if you're looking at a large amount of texts :D Some of it's also about looking at what they're *not* saying i.e. omission of certain details that appear in other texts you might analyse and compare. It therefore helps you identify the value placed on certain issues, expressions of power/authority, and often reveals the author's bias.

Sorry if it's a bit muddled, I'm a bit weird with content analysis but it can be really fun :)

Fruitsalad

HSC
Hey thank you to you both :)

So secondary research is the one where you can use
throughout the PIP, and add footnotes at the bottom?

Sorry I might sound repetitive, but I really would
like to know ;)

cmckie

HSC
Hey yeah, secondary reserach is incorperated throughout the whole PIP, footnotes usually go on the bottom of a page, to make clarifications, references etc
:) goodluck

Fruitsalad

HSC
Thanks for that cmckie, :)

I probably sound like I don't read read the
text book because I'm asking so many questions,
but I suppose that because the PIP is an important
part of our HSC marks and all, I wanted to ask the views
of others.

:wave: Thanks!

Birichina Bimba

HSC
Help!!!!

Hey I really need help with writing an introduction for my PIP. Does anyone have a scaffold or a checklist or something that could help.

Please

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Help!!!!

This is a brief checklist adapted from the Heinemann Book.

Introduction (no more than 500 words):

- Have you described what your topic is about?

- Have you explained why the topic was chosen?

- Have you addressed how your topic contributes to a better understanding of Society and Culture?

- Have you explained and justified your choice of methodologies?

- Have you stated your cross-cultural component?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)