Confusion Over Multiple Choice Question (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Graney said:
What if I was to transport goods without creating air pollution- my emission free truck, car, boat, horse drawn cart!

Emissions free production!

What then huh?
Lol Pm I received from 8th1da

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if u plan on transporting 20-50 tons on a rowboat go 4 it, if u studied economics u would realise that productivity is a major problem, and if u are taking 30 steps back to save the environment and hinder mankind then u arent solving the economic problem (e.g. horse drawn cart). furthermore any proccess creates pollution E.g. workers driving to work, or taking public transport this still creates pollution therefor these is no such thing as emmission free transport.

before trying to post something that makes u look like a retart next time think about what you are saying and wether it is logical

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Year 11 economics students are sick at logic and stuff.

Last edited:

gnrlies

HSC
Yes a nice piece of insight into the 'economic problem'

SimonLee13

HSC
I think what you are all arguing over is the plausability of the answers themselves. A is obviously the best choice, but could it be implemented? Hell no. Therefore you have B as the best choice.

eskimoh

HSC
i think its B because the question asks for the most EFFECTIVEEEE method.
most of those answers are correct in reducing the negative effects of some bs. activities, BUT B is effective in that the tax will discourage harmful activities as well as the tax revenue collected can be used to reinvest it back into the economy and repair some of the damages which have already occurred.
?

michael1990

HSC
eskimoh said:
i think its B because the question asks for the most EFFECTIVEEEE method.
most of those answers are correct in reducing the negative effects of some bs. activities, BUT B is effective in that the tax will discourage harmful activities as well as the tax revenue collected can be used to reinvest it back into the economy and repair some of the damages which have already occurred.
?
We went through this.
The most effective would be (A) but it is not visable.

And can you reduce the negative effects of climate change if companies are still doing the exact same thing to help climate change?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
lightning9t said:
If you read your work on environmental management and the feasibility of options, B would definitely be the answer. When it asks 'the most effective' you should be realistic concerning the economy.
It asks for the 'most effective at preserving the natural environment?'.
Not the most effective on preserving the environment whilst sustaining steady economic growth, equal income distribution, sustainable CAD, low unemployment and low inflation.

It's a stupid question. But to answer the question, and the question alone, the answer is (A).

It is a stupid idea and should never be implemented but it is the 'most effective at preserving the natural environment'.

EDIT: But Michael, C would not be a better idea than B.
By putting a tax on pollution firms are encouraged to change the way the produce their goods to produce less pollution.

By setting a quota on the amount of goods a firm can produce will not make it produce more environmentally sustainably. It can lead to firms producing less goods but with more pollution.

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
It asks for the 'most effective at preserving the natural environment?'.
Not the most effective on preserving the environment whilst sustaining steady economic growth, equal income distribution, sustainable CAD, low unemployment and low inflation.

It's a stupid question. But to answer the question, and the question alone, the answer is (A).

It is a stupid idea and should never be implemented but it is the 'most effective at preserving the natural environment'.
Well said.

i didn't bother quoting him/her because we already discussed this question and he/she should of read the replies.

mcs-one

Grease Bucket
HSC
michael1990 said:
My Economics Class were arguing over a certain multiple choice question in the Leading Edge Workbook (2008) on Environmental Management.

Q10. Which of the following government policies would be the most effective at preserving the natural environment?

(A) Banning the production of goods which create air pollution

(B) Taxing the production of goods which create air pollution

(C) Setting a quota on the production of goods which create air pollution

(D) Subsidising the production of goods which create air pollution.

Okay the class had said (A), but our teacher had said (B) as that was the Leading Edge Answer.

We all came down to the fact that (C) would be better than (B) anyway evening if (A) wasn't the answer. (even thought it is quite obvious (A) is the correct answer). As large firms would be able to afford a high tax rate whereas if there was a quota they wouldn't be able to buy more power to pollute the air.
b and c only discourage air pollution, but it may not preserve the environment. however, u could say with b, that the tax revenue could go to fund environmental stuff. but i would probobably say a.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)