conic question please help!!!! (1 Viewer)

coeyz

HSC
P (ct, c/t) lies on xy=c^2 the normal of P meets the hyperbola again at Q. PQ is a diameter of a circle, and the circle meets R again. Find the coordinates of Q and R. THANKS A LOT!

kwabon

Banned
HSC
P (ct, c/t) lies on xy=c^2 the normal of P meets the hyperbola again at Q. PQ is a diameter of a circle, and the circle meets R again. Find the coordinates of Q and R. THANKS A LOT!
sorry, there is something really fucked up with this site atm, something is wrong with my post, cant upload or copy any pictures into it, and "enter" does not work, as i cannot go onto next line, so i wont be able to show any working but will guide u through the steps. derive xy = c^2 and find the gradient and equation of the normal. simultaneously solve the normal with xy = c^2 to give u P. the midpoint of P and Q is the center of the circle. use the distance formula to work out the distance of the diameter. hence finding the equation of circle. simultaneously solve xy = c^2 with the equation of the circle to obtain R. hope this helps =)

jet

Banned
HSC

I think I'm done helping people for the night, lol.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm not quite sure where "R" is. Do you mean it's where the circle intersects with the hyperbola again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)