construction management and property (1 Viewer)

h.sc

HSC
who is considering doing this course

savio23q

Band
HSC
I am.

I dunno which to put as a higher preference, UTS or UNSW. I'd also like to hear what other people thought of it, what it's like, which uni would be better to go to and other general info.

demetri

HSC
Re: construction management and property I am having the same problem i dont know which course to do the unsw or the uts . I reckon that the uts course seems abit better but i dont know i might be wrong. The best thing to do would prob be to got to visit advisory days of both uni's and talk to students and lecturers .

MathsIsWeird

HSC
Before you make your decision on which uni check out this list QS Top Universities: Top 100 universities in the THE - QS World University Rankings 2007
from what i hear you should aim for UNSW and only use UTS as a last resort.
I too plan on doing this course however im doing building studies at Tafe (unfortunately) before being able to gain entry into this course at UNSW (crap uai).
UTS is not seen as prestigious as other unis because it usually accept more students than other unis.
Anyway ive got a whole year if im lucky to decide which one i want to go to and if not maybe even 2 :mad1:
To you guys i say goodluck and hope to see you in uni in the near future

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
MathsIsWeird said:
Before you make your decision on which uni check out this list QS Top Universities: Top 100 universities in the THE - QS World University Rankings 2007
from what i hear you should aim for UNSW and only use UTS as a last resort.

UTS is not seen as prestigious as other unis because it usually accept more students than other unis.
Construction industry... nobody cares how "prestigious" your university degree is... 80% of the people you work with will be trades and labour...

Read up about the courses in the university handbooks, visit the unis and see which on you like better. Read through the relevant schools' websites etc. Inform yourself. You can always swap after a year if you don't like it.

MathsIsWeird

HSC
Well part of what you say is true but the fact that you went to a more prestigious uni will make potential employees see you in a better light.
Also unless you are dealing in small projects you wouldn't be working with labor 80% of the time that's only if you do things like management but if your doing something like construction law or estimating then you will pretty much never see them.
And from what i hear but don't quote me on this is that UNSW have a better partnership with companies within the construction industry, thus giving better oppturtunities.
But hey like you said go to the unis speak to the lecturers and current students because how you feel about the course and the uni is only part of it if you hate the people then uni wont be very enjoyable.
Drew since you finished your HSc in 2004 can i ask what course you did and where you did it?

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
MathsIsWeird said:
since you finished your HSc in 2004 can i ask what course you did and where you did it?
Civil eng, just finished. Plenty of uni places, jobs, scholarships + high pay in civil eng.

Tried working in construction industry but hated it, hours were 7-6 (+2x1hr drive) and working with morons really gets me down... they don't understand the concept of working smarter, not harder. The only interesting work in construction is the design, the rest is just moving stuff around in the right order. Think lego. You could just follow the instructions, but the fun is in designing your own stuff.

Now going into consulting engineering (ie office job in the city), which will hopefully be more interesting. If that fails, phd. Plenty of phd places in eng, government pays your fees and uni pays you up to 33K non-taxable :)

MathsIsWeird

HSC
Yeah i understand what you mean about working smarter not harder that's my philosophy as well, as for working with morons i hopefully don't have to put up with them but unfortunately they are always around.
Congrats on finishing your civil engineering course.
I'm thinking of either going for construction law or civil engineering like you, not positive but am leaning towards law but im not sure about job availability with that however as you said civil has a high amount of jobs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)