Contact hours for BMedSc (1 Viewer)

jrk

HSC
Hey guys.

Anyone have any information with regards to the number of contact hours per week for the BMedSc course, and how it compares with other courses like BSc or BEng?

Anything else about the courses are welcome!

Cheers

jrk

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
Hey jrk,

It's 26 hours per week in first semester of first year (almost an hour for each credit point):
2 x 1 hour lectures + 1 hour tutorial for each maths subject (and you have two maths subs)
3 x 1 hour lectures + 1 hour tutorial + 3 hour lab for chemistry
3 x 1 hour lectures + 1 hour tutorial + 3 hour lab for physics
3 x 1 hour lectures + 3 hour lab for biology

Second semester is either 27 hours per week or 22 hours per week (it alternates):
2 x 1 hour lectures + 1 hour tutorial for each maths subject (and you have two maths subs)
3 x 1 hour lectures + 1 hour tutorial + 3 hour lab for chemistry
3 x 1 hour lectures + 1 hour tutorial + 3 hour lab for physics
2 x 1 hour lectures + 5 hour lab (every second week) for molecular biology

It is kind of similar to BSc, but BSc has more flexibility. With MedSc, you have to do the above subjects, there are no choices (but it isn't too bad). The only choices are with the level of maths/chem/phys/bio (except you have to do molecular biology in second semester) you choose.

Second year:
each semester there are four subjects, and for each of these subjects you have 2 x 1 hour lectures per week, and 5 hours of tutes/labs/seminars every fortnight.

I have no idea about third year.

Hope this helps.
26 hours a week in the first semester that is not good!! Lemme get this straight.. are the four subjects of Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry compulsory without any flexibility for the first two years?

Would having a BMedSc be better than a regular BSc if applying for the BDent later on? If not, what other reasons would people take the BMedSc for?

Thanks sportsgal this helps a lot.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
There's no flexibility in first year. Not sure about second.

BMedSc in my opinion gives no significant advantage for grad med or dentistry over BSc provided you choose your subjects in BSc to reflect this.

26 sounds like a lot...how did I manage 30+ last semester...

allstarr69

i wouldnt do med science unless you really want to become one of those researchers who have nothing better to do so they make up stupid claims like... 'too much sex causes bowel problems'...'cabbage causes cancer etc etc'

If you got your eyes on medicine then it might help but prolly not either :p

lol onli kiddin.. if u luv medical stuff then go ahead but it wasnt my cup of tea... but then again I guess I was judgin it on MBLG which sucked :p

allstarr69

SpoRTsGaL said:
Yes, they are compulsory (btw they are two maths subjects worth 3 credit pts each).

Allstarr: omg you do medsci! Did you do phys1004 or higher level phys? Just curious.

EDIT: and there's no flexibility in second year.
keyword... i 'did' do med science... but im dropping out hehehe. The onli med sci subjects i did was chem 1102 and MBLG both of which were brutal to my health hehehe.

Nothin against med sci tho.. im sure ure lovin it. Oh btw have u met nithin? he sed he met u and sed ure a tall gal :p

allstarr69

SpoRTsGaL said:
heheh sif I'm loving medsci. Yeah MBLG sucked.

nithin? nit for short? does medsci? IS A BOSER? I know a nitesh....
Yeah I'm a tall girl, but I'm confused, because there aren't many medsci peeps here, and I didn't think many peeps knew me, and wait, do I know him?
very confused.

oh, and what's his bos name?
and do I know you?
theres a fair few chicks i know that do med science... if u eva went up to level 5 wentworth ude be plagued with science / med science / engineering ppls.

Umm i dont know you but i know you now :d lol. hehe I partially know nit... played cricket with him on the grass outside wentworth 2nd semester a while back... remember nit? ;)

you must have met nit coz he sed hes met u. (or maybe it was only a one way meeting :p hehee)

allstarr69

SpoRTsGaL said:
Have I met him? I've met a guy named nit who was in most of my classes and I do average classes.
I don't think I have met THE nit who went to SGS and got 99.9. Or have I? maybe he's met some other tall medsci girl. You or I would have to ask him.
Out of curiousity, do you know a girl named darshini who does medsci?
well wen I added him to msn he recognised 'allstarrr' and sed 'wait your from bos!!!' so we got on talking about bos members and I asked do you know who Sportsgal is and he said he had met you and that your really tall. hmm strange...

Hmm I know a Dashi who does med science lolz. is her full name darshini?? it just might be... I call her Dashing Dashi :p hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)