Contemporary Compositions.. (1 Viewer)

compo^_^guy

HSC
Hey, are any of you guys composing really contemporary compositions, like with really extended techniques and stuff. Because im writing one at the moment and im finding it really hard, like despite the huge amounts of stuff we did in class. What are your thoughts on this.. what are your compositions like..?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Basically, as long as you can justify essentially everything you do (ie, not putting it in there for no reason except to look good), your composition will score well. If you're looking at extended techniques, I would visit the Conservatorium library, and view scores by composers who made use of extended techniques. Composers like Berio and Stockhausen come to mind, though there are many more.

The next thing is to actually find players of the instruments, to demonstrate the techniques. It's no good writing a certain part if the instrument cannot successfully play it.

I would recommend a visit to a composition tutor - preferably one who is primarily a composer - before you complete your work. There are many composers throughout NSW who are more than happy to tutor you for a reasonable fee. If you're in the Greystanes area, I charge around $30 an hour, otherwise one of my colleagues may be more suited to your purposes.

Eslyssa

HSC
I am - but I've focused a lot on extended techniques for my program, so I guess it's coming pretty easily to me. However, I'm having a little .. fun .. with notation. How are you notating it?

smeb

HSC
N/A
are youi writing it on sibelius?? thats the easiest. if ya are, send it to me and i could tell you what i think?!?

compo^_^guy

HSC
hey yeh well i wouldn't use sibelius im against it, it may be easy but it's weak. for contemporary notation i'm using finale, its extremely powerful in that field. i am having fun with the notation its soo cool

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You'll find that there are MANY professional composers who will use Sibelius even for things like extended techniques. It's an incredibly strong program, which has done everything I've wanted it to do for the last four years.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
also, does anyone know how to make an entire free rhythm comp. on sib. 3? I can do it for a couple of bars, but for longer it is impossible (so far)

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
um if your having trouble with that the thing i use is just notate it all normally and then put invisible barlines :)

screaming? - freedom now suite?

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
yeh like freedom now lol. but different.
i still have trouble....if i write with invissible bar lines, the groupings are still governed by a time sig.
Oh woe is me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)