Conversion (1 Viewer)

ozidolroks

HSC
hey

can anyone please tell me where I can find the census data / any data for conversion in the changing patterns of religious patterns from 1945- 2006?

how do i give reasons for births and death to changes in religious adherence from 1945-2006?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
hey

can anyone please tell me where I can find the census data / any data for conversion in the changing patterns of religious patterns from 1945- 2006?

how do i give reasons for births and death to changes in religious adherence from 1945-2006?
That could be difficult re conversion as no data has been collected on this that I know of outside of the Church Life Census which is held by the CRA (cra.org.au) but it is only a random sampling .: its accuracy could be questioned (+they only deal with Christianity .: conversion to Islam and Buddhism (2 "biggies") isnt really looked at-maybe the various religious groups may have info on this...from memory, the Buddhists do)

I dont know how much detail they go into re conversion on their website (data is mainly in their books) (esp. as conversion isnt really a 'huge' factor...more people leaving than converting (??)+ add in declining age of adherents in Christianity (largest sector)+ the ot really answered section of the census has to also be taken into account (incorrectly lumped in with 'no religion' which is inaccurate in itself as it doesnt distinguish between atheist and agnostic)

+you would have to define / clarify what you mean by conversion as well

re births and deaths...I personally wouldnt bother worrying to much as the reason for change is that people are born or they die!

Last edited:

JacquelineR

HSC
It is near impossible/impossible to find data for conversions to Buddhism in Australia, for a number of reasons.

1) it does not exist
2) even if it did exist, it is very hard to give an accurate estimate of the number of converts to Buddhism (as has been observed in the US) because many Buddhist converts do not participate in a Buddhist community.

Haha, I'm a Buddhist convert myself and I've been trying to find data for years.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
It is near impossible/impossible to find data for conversions to Buddhism in Australia, for a number of reasons.

1) it does not exist
2) even if it did exist, it is very hard to give an accurate estimate of the number of converts to Buddhism (as has been observed in the US) because many Buddhist converts do not participate in a Buddhist community.

Haha, I'm a Buddhist convert myself and I've been trying to find data for years.

Religious Growth - Statistics
Buddhism Australia - Census shows non-Christian religions continue to grow at a faster rate - News - Buddhist Council of Western Australia
:rofl:

JacquelineR

HSC
I'm familiar with these, and nowhere could I find CONVERSION stats.

While of course there is plentiful statistics available for religious GROWTH, it is to be noted that religious growth does not equal religious conversion.

The recorded growth of Buddhism in Australia, and among those born in Australia, is generally assumed to be mostly due to immigrants having children rather than as being due to converts.

(it's worth a read if Australian Buddhist demographics interest you)
http://www.thezensite.com/ZenEssays/Miscellaneous/Characteristics_of_Buddhism.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)