corporate law - without doing commerce? (1 Viewer)

Porcia

HSC
well corporate law sounds interresting and im studying law at unsw this yr but not combining it with commerce. my question is simple as this: does having a commerce degree help in regard to corportate law?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
A commerce degree will make you more attractive to a corporate law firm than an Arts degree (or another non-Commerce degree), yes. The extent of this "boost" is not great however. And it only affects the situation when all else is equal, which it never is. Your law marks count for more than anything.

So there is no significant disadvantage for practicing in corporate law.
LottoX said:
... (unless the BCom/LLB student majored in Business Law).
A BCom/LLB student is prohibited from majoring in business law for their Commerce degree anyway.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
It's because the prerequisite for business law is accounting and comm/law students can only choose one commerce major (which is normally finance anyway).

HSC
so if i'm a law student and i major in taxation law, could ordinary commerce students be able to do that too?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
You can't major in taxation law, either under law or commerce. There is no "taxation law" major in commerce, and you don't do a major in law.

You can do tax law subjects under the law faculty. Only law students may enroll in such subjects. The commerce faculty may also offer courses in taxation law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)