corrosion vs oxidation (1 Viewer)

Farmerism

HSC
just wondering

if a metal corrodes, is it being oxidised or reduced

P

pLuvia

Wouldn't it be oxidised because the oxygen reacts with the metal to form an oxide

Farmerism

HSC
hm yeah i guess so. but now im confused about another thing.

with reference to galvanising. um.. is what i have to say below true?

zinc is more readilly oxidised than iron. since zinc is being used to protect the iron from corrosion (which is what happens when the iron oxidses), when it is scratched ...........

no wait im confused here. when iron 'corrodes' isnt it accepting electrons? ..... because Fe^2+ + 2e -> Fe...

no wait.. when iron corrodes it should be Fe -> Fe^2+ + 2e because Fe ions break off the crystal lattice and become Fe^2+?....

can anyone see where my problem is.. im confused about whats oxidised and whats reduced in the galvanising protection thing....

the above was just my thinking process. hope it didnt make anyone dumber

P

pLuvia

Farmerism said:
hm yeah i guess so. but now im confused about another thing.

with reference to galvanising. um.. is what i have to say below true?

zinc is more readilly oxidised than iron. since zinc is being used to protect the iron from corrosion (which is what happens when the iron oxidses), when it is scratched ...........

no wait im confused here. when iron 'corrodes' isnt it accepting electrons? ..... because Fe^2+ + 2e -> Fe...

no wait.. when iron corrodes it should be Fe -> Fe^2+ + 2e because Fe ions break off the crystal lattice and become Fe^2+?....

can anyone see where my problem is.. im confused about whats oxidised and whats reduced in the galvanising protection thing....

the above was just my thinking process. hope it didnt make anyone dumber
Zinc acts as the sacrificial anode which is the metal which protects iron from being oxidised.

When iron corrodes it is being oxidised so it loses electrons which is called the anodic site, and where reduction occurs is called the cathodic site.

So:

Fe2+ ---> Fe(s)+2e-

Some impurities such as carbon, where these electrons can flow, where carbon can act as a cathode if present. The oxygen dissolved in where the water touches the metal is where reduction occurs

Last edited by a moderator:

pkc

HSC
N/A
do you mean

Fe^2+ + 2e- ---> Fe (s) ?

How do you make superscripts anyway???

P

pLuvia

Well I didn't mean that, but because iron is oxidised it loses electrons, but the actual half equation I meant was:

Fe(s)--->Fe2++2e-

To do subscripts and superscripts

Fe[ sub ](s)[/ sub]--->Fe[ sup]2+[/ sup]+2e[ sup]-[/ sup]

Without the spaces

suebear

HSC
N/A
Farmerism said:
just wondering

if a metal corrodes, is it being oxidised or reduced

the one that corodes is the one being oxidised

tartaresauce

HSC
corrosion of iron is when it gets oxidised. the equation should be
Fe(s) -> Fe^2+(aq) + 2e-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)