Coverletter (1 Viewer)

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Yo,

I am applying for cadetships and I'm not sure exactly what to include in the coverletter. So it would be helpful if someone could tell me how to structure a coverletter and what I'm supposed to write in it?

Thanks in advance =)

wanzer123

HSC
N/A
Well this is my very first time writing one too! but what ive heard from friends, siblings and teachers and from research is it's just a overview of what makes u eligible for the position you are applying for. Try to keep it simple and someone told me to make it sound professional. Don't use too many "I" and make sure when you read over it again there are: no typos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't count on my advice tho, do your research over the net.

angel313

HSC
hey if you want agood cover letter remember to address the person dont write Dear sir / Madam tell them why you are writting then write what your qualifications are then put why you are suited to the job :D

miss-smexy

HSC
Hey la davina!

I'm in exactly the same position as you.

How do we address the people if we don't know their names?

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
What is the reccommended length? If we don't know who will be reading the cover letter, will Dear Sir/Madam suffice?
I hope they don't reject me just by looking at the cover letter cuz it ain't good :p

angel313

HSC
dont write dear sir / madam
try and get the name of the owner it will look much more profesional
oh and try to get at least a 3/4 to about 1 page in length if you want a sample of mine i will send it to you
cheers :D

angel313

HSC
John Smith
234 Walamara Road Canberra
4562 N.S.W

Dear

My name is _______________ and I am writing to apply for a position at __________. I am currently employed at central ________________ but I am looking for new experiences in the retail industry.

I have been employed at ____________ for the past two years and have been fortunate enough to have won several awards, such as cleanliness and customer service. I have also been selected as employee of the month. While working at _______________ I have learnt many skills related to the retail industry such as customer service, money handling, stock taking and cashier work. Through my successes at work I have been fortunate to be selected as a member of the safety team for my store. The job has a strong emphasize on customer service and we are constantly revising our work procedures to improve customer service.

My outgoing personality has allowed me to work well as a team member and one who thrives on challenges. My qualities include that I work well under stressful situations. I have a strong work ethic and enjoy new challenges. I pride myself on my communication skills with customers and the ability to help them meet their shopping needs. I am confident in a retail setting and willing to ask question if unsure.

My experiences in the retail industry have equipped me for the opportunities that your store will present.
I am look forward to your reply and the opportunity of working in your store.

Yours Sincerely

:wave:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hmmm, I think I'm missing something with regards to skills summaries on resumes. If you highlight your skills on your cover letter, then do you need to put a skills section in your resume anyway? Because I keep hearing that rehashing your resume is a big no-no but I don't see any way out of that?

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
I'd say: try not to use 'I' too much.

I this, I that, I have etc can really get on some people's nerves. 'My' would be good :p

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
don't spend too much time on the wrapping, it is the good that matters. so try not to stress about the cover letter, rather spend your effort on the resume itself.

and for god sakes, it is a cadetship, they won't be too judgemental about it.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
wuddie said:
don't spend too much time on the wrapping, it is the good that matters. so try not to stress about the cover letter, rather spend your effort on the resume itself.

If my guess is right, that it is one of those Big 4 Accounting cadetships, then they are pretty competitive...

G

Gavvvvvin

Not as competitive as for positions at the Telstra Stadium tuck shop :rolleyes:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
wuddie said:

no no no WRONG! i've worked in HR/recruitment and the cover letter is the first thing they look at. it absolutely has to be done right if it's a competitive job. how much detail you have to go into is really dependent on what the job is, i tend to keep them short and to the point. however, if it's something with required experiences etc of course you'd go into them.

this is one that i recently got complemented on and am about to do my 3rd interview for, like i said, short and to the point - but also clear and articulate:

26-June-2007

Dear Ms M_____

I am writing to apply for the position of Offices Service Assistant as advertised on http://www.seek.com.au on 26-06-2007.

I feel that I possess many of the qualities which you are looking for, and if given the opportunity could truly succeed in this position. I am articulate, motivated, reliable and able to adapt to a number of situations to perform at a high standard. I have just completed the third semester of my L.L.B/B Communications, and am now on an 18 month leave of absence. I am passionate about the law and would love the opportunity to work in a legal environment during my absence from tertiary studies.

Thank you for reviewing my application, and I hope you will consider me for this exciting opportunity. I look forward to discussing this position further, and can be contacted on ____ if you feel that I am an appropriate candidate.

Sincerely,
Erin C____

however that was for a general position with little to no selection criteria. ALWAYS ADDRESS THE CRITERIA, if there's not much you could do it in a cover letter (although, like I said, I recommend keeping those short, a page at most), otherwise do it on top of your resume

anyway - I temp at the moment and I've done most of it in HR and recruitment so if you have any questions about the actual process, ask me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)