CPA requirements (1 Viewer)

turtleface

HSC
waiter said:
lol dumbass

did you ever think you were debating against someone who worked in the big 4? as it, told your sorry work experience ass what to do?

hahah dumbass.

hahahaha listen to you go on and give people career advice... WHEN YOU ARE A SECOND YEAR STUDENT IN UNI... HAHAHAHAHAH

This is gold.
I'm sorry I don't have "your" "real world" experience that you allude to. How about you try contributing something constructive rather than just bagging me or bagging accounting or bagging auditing
If you are a grad or a lowly junior then you are just a pencil pushing grunt who has a long way to go. Don't make it sound like you're some expert cause you know how to, as you say, "tick and bash". Grad does not equal Audit Expert or Auditor for that matter. You're just an assistant.
If you are a Senior or Supervisor, you're still just a Partner's slave
If you are a Manager you aren't a RCA so you can't deal with much professional judgement issues yet, still have a while to go for you!
If you are a Partner and a Registered Company Auditor then god help us all...
Anyway what firm are u from? i wouldn't be surprised if ur (edited out -i dont wish to alienate these ppl lol)

waiter said:
If you don't want to be an accountant, don't bother becoming a Chartered Accountant. Spend your time wisely on other broader and more flexible qualifications.
So much for your alleged knowledge of Accounting and Auditing...the ICAA has spent a lot of time and effort to broaden the scope of the CA program, significantly beefing it up from the PY a few years ago, and also the old CA curriculum, which admittedly was not as "broad" or "flexible". The CA program nowdays covers everything from Tax to Corporate Governance to Corporate Finance to Risk Management to Strategic Business Forecasting to International Transaction Analysis to Contemporary Performance Reporting.

redruM said:
Just out of curiousity, what exactly would this route be? Work in financial services departments at your firm, during your CA. Then apply at an investment bank (for what position though)?
Some people who want to get into Ibanking desperately so they spend a few years in either the Financial Services Practice of Audit, or in Corporate Finance. I think. I'm just repeating what people have told me and I've found on sites. I don't know much about Ibanking though in Australia though, its best to look at those job search websites and check out their requirements. In the US where the big cash is, everyone pretty much gets their MBA and then apply as an associate. Some people are lucky and join as an analyst and go DTA (direct to associate) after a few years without a MBA. but again this is the U.S.

Last edited:

waiter

HSC
N/A
turtleface said:
How about you try contributing something constructive ....[etc etc 10 pages of crap]
Pointing out how retarded your points of view are, is constructive.

It is highly dangerous, sad, and pathetic to hear you give career advice to UNSW students, when you are:

1. unqualified
2. inexperienced
3. unemployed
4. from melbourne university, with zero local knowledge

It is highly obvious you lack basic common sense, with your persistent belief that everyone who uses this forum is a uni grad. All you need to know is that some people here have actually done in real life, all you claim to theoretically know, but you are so pathetically incorrect about.

But this is not a matter of who is more qualified in opinion. It is about putting like you who swallow, hook line and sinker, the promotional bullshit that the ICAA feeds everyone, back in their place.

Words of advice from an actual CA with several years big 4 experience:

1. shut the fk up
2. stop career counselling others with incorrect advice
3. realise you are a low-life 2nd year uni student, with zero life experience.
4. don't believe the bullshit they feed you
5. don't pass on bullshit.

omg. what. a. fkn. forum. trolling. fagget. you are.
goddamit. fkn piece of shit.

Last edited:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I'm sure you would've learnt the difference between "unexperienced" and "inexperienced" from doing your CA and several years of Big 4 experience.

waiter

HSC
N/A
yeah inexperienced is when you get so desparate you have to join deloitte A&A.

going into external audit is bad enough..

but going into external audit for the lowest paying "big4 firm".. (the one which pretends to be a big 4 in australia).... is another thing..

hahaha and then, boasting about it on an internet forum sig is another.... nice work mate.

waiter

HSC
N/A
oh sorry, i only just realised you only made it to macq uni... which explains everything..

tell me again why you troll this UNSW forum again? jealously?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
waiter said:
oh sorry, i only just realised you only made it to macq uni... which explains everything..

Im not a commerce student, however you're calling him inexperienced, and then you resort to schoolyard bullying, saying that he's dumb as he choose macq u ? :confused:

Oh just realised all your posts are like that.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
waiter said:
hahah. Going by your theory, I should walk up to a cadet and call him desparate? Moron.
waiter said:
going into external audit is bad enough.
Another sweeping generalisation with no proof or explanation. Audit does gives me the opportunity to move into other divisions if I want to. Also, it was a good way to get my "foot in", with Audit taking 60-ish grads.
waiter said:
but going into external audit for the lowest paying "big4 firm".. (the one which pretends to be a big 4 in australia).... is another thing.
With someone with as much experience as you, you should know that for a graduate, starting salary is a non-issue. It wasn't the case with me...
waiter said:
hahaha and then, boasting about it on an internet forum sig is another.... nice work mate.
If you are discrediting the value of an "internet forum", then why waste your time? I mean, don't you have things to do as a CA, with several years of experience...

(Troll, you'd have to be...)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
waiter said:
Yeah, only Macq Uni...We should both go into the UWS forums and flame them...:rolleyes:
waiter said:
Read back to my first post, and you'll see why I responded to a question about CPA vs CA. It wasn't even related to UNSW (Hell I didn't even know it was a UNSW thread, until I saw the list of subjects).

turtleface

HSC
waiter said:
Pointing out how retarded your points of view are, is constructive.

It is highly dangerous, sad, and pathetic to hear you give career advice to UNSW students, when you are:

1. unqualified
2. inexperienced
3. unemployed
4. from melbourne university, with zero local knowledge

It is highly obvious you lack basic common sense, with your persistent belief that everyone who uses this forum is a uni grad. All you need to know is that some people here have actually done in real life, all you claim to theoretically know, but you are so pathetically incorrect about.

But this is not a matter of who is more qualified in opinion. It is about putting like you who swallow, hook line and sinker, the promotional bullshit that the ICAA feeds everyone, back in their place.

Words of advice from an actual CA with several years big 4 experience:

1. shut the fk up
2. stop career counselling others with incorrect advice
3. realise you are a low-life 2nd year uni student, with zero life experience.
4. don't believe the bullshit they feed you
5. don't pass on bullshit.

omg. what. a. fkn. forum. trolling. fagget. you are.
goddamit. fkn piece of shit.
The only bs I won't believe is yours. You keep on going on about "real life" and the "real world". Seriously what are you on? Are we uni students living in some dreamland where we're all delusional about "the real world"? When's the next shuttle to this "real world"? As for your bagging of university education, the only justification I need for theoretical bullcrap I learn is that it is required by the ICAA, which is required by the Accounting firms, and the fact that a university degree of no less than 3 years is required by the Corporations Act Section 1280 and ASIC policy statement 180 for registration of company auditors.
Also I think people realise there are non uni students here. e.g. the admin, minai who's EY

Anyway, I take great offence at this comment:
waiter said:
It is about putting like you who swallow, hook line and sinker, the promotional bullshit that the ICAA feeds everyone, back in their place.
Noone believes the bs in CPA and ICAA material and I am offended to be associated with that propaganda. If you can associate one comment of mine with any promotional paraphenalia, I'll edit all my posts and replace it with the words bullcrap. Who gives a shit about being able to travel and being recognised, the only stuff I follow is what is said in independent reviews and whitepapers the institute and other stakeholders conduct into the profession and the quality of the program. Also for the record I've had a Big Four job since Semester 2 of first year and I'm also happily at Safeway (woolworths) so I'm happily employed but thanks for the job offer.

waiter said:

going into external audit is bad enough..

but going into external audit for the lowest paying "big4 firm".. (the one which pretends to be a big 4 in australia).... is another thing..

3 things:
1. If Deloitte is so crap, why would it be boasting to have it as a signature?
2. Would everyone else be boasting simply by stating some facts on their signature? Am I boasting that I'm asleep on my signature?
3. Although in Giam Sweiger's earlier years the Big Four was referred to as the Big Three, he's done a fairly good job of increasing organic growth and increasing Deloitte's competition advantage through process innovation, now Deloitte is right up there, and as of last year had a higher productivity rate than KPMG = higher wages, ceteris paribus.

Again, so much for you alleged knowledge.

___
redruM said:
hahah. Going by your theory, I should walk up to a cadet and call him desparate? Moron.
lol

Last edited:

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
wat happens if i only did 1 semester of maths and dun plan to do 2nd semester...but will be doing da legal and info sys course later on?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
check the handbook but infs and legt are administered by the faculty of commerce whilist maths is a science subject so it shouldnt be a problem, unless you are referring to qma as maths.

dum_di_dum

Gladiator
HSC
Online Handbook said:
The Bachelor of Commerce program may be conferred as a Pass or Honour degree. In the case of superior academic performance throughout the program, the Pass degree with be conferred with Distinction.
What's this Distinction business? Is it exceptionally useful? :p

phungus

HSC
dum_di_dum said:
Sorry for dredging up old posts but I had a sudden urge to start planning my career and I came upon this thread.

As Sumthing says, I think if you are doing a double major (say accounting/finance) and you try doing:

All the prequisites for both CPA/CA
+ Remaining units in accounting/finance majors
+ Core subjects for first year
+ 12 UOC geneds

You will end up with 150 UOC which is 6 more than the 3 year B Comm degree allows. Is there any way to squeeze in this extra 6 units during the 3 years and still have it count towards your degree? Maybe by overloading?
Yeh i've just had a look at that and started thinking the same thing...so does that mean for the courses you choose to do at unsw if you are doing a double major, you can only choose the courses to fit "EITHER" the requirements for CPA or CA but not both?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
dum_di_dum said:
What's this Distinction business? Is it exceptionally useful? :p
When you graduate with a Distinction WAM, it says BCom with Distinction on your academic testamur.

I think it's something similar to the Cum Laude thing overseas.

phrred

HSC
im doing comm/arts and want to do CA/CPA but i cant fit in all the requirements. It will take me 252UOC (12UOC over total and 6UOC too many of level 1 courses in Comm).
Can i grad with 252 UOC? the handbook says minimum UOC for the degrees is 240UOC but doesnt state a max.
Also, would they have to take 1 of my first level courses out? would they delete the excess courses from the transcript and from my WAM or would they leave it there? does anyone know how this works

hope that makes sense

Also why do people think CA is more difficult? is it coz of the highly technical approach of the CA?

turtleface

HSC
phrred said:
Also why do people think CA is more difficult? is it coz of the highly technical approach of the CA?
Yes, CA is more technical. CPA is more general business-ish, and more Finance-ish.

Also, CPA you don't have any compulsory technical units, and can mix and match whatever you want, other than some basic Financial Reporting.

CPA also used to be all multiple choice exams, and so was easier to pass by bad candidates. This has now changed though.

Also once you have your CA, you are exempt from all but 2 modules in the CPA program. I do not think the CA allows any exemptions from its program unless it is a tax exemption if you have a MTax. Some may take this as indication CA is a superior program.

phungus

HSC
Ok so i'm gathering that it is not possible to satisfy the course requirements for both CPA and CA recognition by doing a double major?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)