Crazy ATAR differences from MAIN round to EARLY FEBRUARY round offers. (1 Viewer)

tricks08

"educated".
HSC
ATAR cut-offs - UAC undergraduate website

well after looking at that and at my course , i noticed UWS Bach. of design (Visual Communication) has jumped from main round ATAR (64.05) to ATAR (89) in the early feb round lol !

anyone else spot a massive difference in other courses? .. and is this normal between main and late rounds?

freydee

HSC
Communication & Media Studies/Law at UOW jumped from 90 to 99.95.

I feel pretty good about the fact I got a main round offer for that course with my not overly impressive ATAR of 84.45. Ha.

debts

HSC
N/A
ATAR cut-offs - UAC undergraduate website

well after looking at that and at my course , i noticed UWS Bach. of design (Visual Communication) has jumped from main round ATAR (64.05) to ATAR (89) in the early feb round lol !

anyone else spot a massive difference in other courses? .. and is this normal between main and late rounds?
upon seeing vis comms huuuge jump, i took my main round offer by going to UWS's offer acceptance site. i'm still in two minds about the course though, but that jump is incredible, must be a lot of UTS rejects..

arts at UWS (i think parra) is 98.35, lol. significantly higher than 91 and 90 at USYD and UNSW respectively.

Last edited:

tricks08

"educated".
HSC
upon seeing vis comms huuuge jump, i took my main round offer by going to UWS's offer acceptance site. i'm still in two minds about the course though, but that jump is incredible, must be a lot of UTS rejects..

arts at UWS (i think parra) is 98.35, lol. significantly higher than 91 and 90 at USYD and UNSW respectively.
yeah , im kinda glad i took viscom when it was still 64.05 .. thinking of all the people who either got rejected from uts or changed their minds from mains to early feb rounds .. i kinda feel bad.

general reception from UWS viscom i got was pretty good. a lot of people said it was an enjoyable course .. but i guess we'd have to experience it for ourselfs. i still cant believe that jump though ..

JB10

HSC
I noticed Policing at UWS went from about a 68 to a 94.

Why is Arts at MAC still so low? Only 76?

debts

HSC
N/A
yeah , im kinda glad i took viscom when it was still 64.05 .. thinking of all the people who either got rejected from uts or changed their minds from mains to early feb rounds .. i kinda feel bad.

general reception from UWS viscom i got was pretty good. a lot of people said it was an enjoyable course .. but i guess we'd have to experience it for ourselfs. i still cant believe that jump though ..
i've heard it's pretty good too. it's very very well regarded by UTS, who i remember at open day suggested it as a second option for those who didn't get UTS vis comm first time.

I noticed Policing at UWS went from about a 68 to a 94.

Why is Arts at MAC still so low? Only 76?
supply and demand. obviously people would rather UWS due to location or something.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Yeah not much demand for MQ uni..shame..MQ > UWS imo..lols (being slack)

But then..UAI's/ATAR's always increase after the main round and late round..its sort of normal yeah..but a massive jump to 90's mark for uws is probably not normal :cook:

SMS.EDWIN

HSC
I got into business/commerce at uws but now i want to do bach design [visual communication]. Thought it would be fine to get in 2nd round coz its 64 n now its effing 89. EFF. any chance i can get in final round?

oliverbedon89

HSC
N/A
What's weird is that my friend who got high 60s UAI got into UWS Arts (the highest one which is 98.30 :eek:) in the late round but not Macquarie Arts even though he put Macquarie as first preference...

engineering

HSC
N/A
You need to understand the meaning of the published ATAR. It represents the ATAR of the lowest person accepted in the course. If only one person was offered a place, and his ATAR was 99, then the published ATAR cut off is 99. In niche courses or later rounds, where student numbers are very small, the published ATAR is quite often numerical nonsense.

If you want to make a genuine assessment of the "difficulty" or "popularity" of a course, solely on some type of ATAR basis, ask the appropriate person if they can tell you the median ATAR (not the lowest) of all new students in the course without including any bonus points.

chefman21

HSC
N/A
It's a flawed system using ATAR for university applications. Often, high ATAR scores won't be a reflection of how a student performs. University learning is a completely different kettle of fish to school learning. Intelligence matters, but hard work and dedication matters a lot more. I've had friends who got very high ATAR/OP/UAI's and didn't perform anywhere near as well as expected. I've also had friends who did poorly in Year 12 and got excellent marks at university, including one University Medallist (lucky bitch). It will be nice once university places are uncapped in 2012. Courses filled by demand, placing more emphasis on a students performance at university due to a larger number of potential graduates, will be better for all. I'm not sure whether ATAR will be abolished though. Maybe courses will only be available to students level e.g

Engineering available to any student with an ATAR over 80
or/
Engineering available to any student with the following scores in the following subjects

I'll be interested to see how it works.

rajputsingh

HSC
What's weird is that my friend who got high 60s UAI got into UWS Arts (the highest one which is 98.30 :eek:) in the late round but not Macquarie Arts even though he put Macquarie as first preference...

They may not have met the basic requirements for Macq. Different uni's have a different set of basic requirements I do believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)