creative arts (1 Viewer)

leeha

HSC
could anyone tell me what they think of this degree...anyone doing it..argh i have no idea

HSC
N/A
Myself and lcf are doing this degree :)

Don't be fooled by what non-BCA people have to say about this degree... contrary to popular belief, the MQ B of Creative Arts is NOT 100% arts-based, and I can see why some arts-loving people might totally not have the patience for this degree (and on the other hand, people like myself who love arts but want to ensure a certain income per year/standard of living greatly appreciate it ;))

In a recent study of degrees in NSW (can't remember the name of the book, you can get it from Borders though) it lists your regular BCA as one of the most "risky" degrees to undertake, due to the limited number of career opportunities (writer, actor, singer, dancer, artist, can you say "competition"?) and huge numbers of graduates taking up jobs such as waitressing etc which have little relation to their degree. Of course this isn't to say regular BCA graduates are doomed from the start - just be sure what you're getting into, and that you know this is the career path you want to go for.

Hence it is so refreshing that MQ's BCA is not entirely arts-focussed. Essentially, it's like two half degrees (one arts-based, one arts-management based) rolled into one - you'll get to work on your "art" and at the same time, do some marketing/business/accounting/human resource management/Arts Practicum which will enable you to pick up a "real" job in arts management/arts marketing/publishing/arts organisation etc if in the event you need/want one. Let's be honest and realise it's incredibly hard to make a decent living out of being an "artist", regardless of what field you're interested in... most artists will work part-time or even full time at least once (if not entirely) through their lives in another career, with something like MQ's BCA you can pick up a higher-earning job (ie one that requires tertiary education) that can better fund your art, whilst at the same time allowing you to work within the "arts" field.

A great deal of the MQ BCA degree is based on arts organisations and how they work - how and where and why to apply for government grants, how existing organisations work (how much government money they get at all, how corperate sponsorship can work/affect creativity, the nature of consumer markets) and so on. Whilst it can definately hone your abilities within your chosen "art" (Writing, Drama, Visual Art, Music, dance is an option but filed under "visual art", you are also allowed to do your 'art' units at other universities if so inclined), in my opinion it offers a much broader perspective of arts organisations and how they work in Australia which is absolutely essential if you want to make a living within this industry. There's a good bit of industry "prac" experience thrown in, and you'll do a 100-hour internship at an approved arts institution at the end of your degree (a lot of graduates get job offers from this internship).

On a flip side, there's no "You WILL become a <insert major of choice here>" vibe with the MQ BCA degree like you might find at other universities... My major might be Creative Writing, but I'm entertaining the idea of going into journalism (and other things, so undecided at the moment! lol), so I'd say this "flexible" approach is another big plus to consider :)

EDIT: I become so chatty on BOS when there are uni assessments calling out to be finished :(

In other words,

Your regular BCA/B of Drama/Dance/Music/whatever: is good for when you know exactly what you want to do, are willing to pour all your energies into that direction. By the time you graduate, you'll know that field inside out.

the MQ BCA is good for: People who are definately interested in the above career, but aren't 100% sure about it/want a solid fallback option, or want the more open-minded/flexible attitude and options this degree provides.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
That post deserves a freaking golden star or something *whips lynn back to assessment*

leeha

HSC
oh my goodness. yes 10 gold stars for that post.
thanks heaps for that effort and info!
i want to get into arts admin and organisation management all that jazz..whilst i do love performing, i KNOW im not good enough to even think about making a career out of it. so this degree sounds something super.

im also thinking about bach arts communication and theatre media at csu..someone told me i have do to dramatic audition for that...and thats not really the feild i wanna take...really into the arts production side..but hey..we shall see whats instore for the life of leeha

thanks again for your info, you cleared up heaps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)