Creative: Importance of language techniques (1 Viewer)

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
My friend is a published writer and has provided me many insights into creative writing. HSC Belonging stories are not good stories; I don't care what anybody says. They are meant to demonstrate your understanding of belonging/use of language. Therefore, a good HSC creative will be insightful and have an array of literary techniques.

On the other hand, real, publishable writing is nothing like this. It does not demonstrate belonging. Literary devices are annoying as fuck in a real novel (especially when overused/overtly used). I wouldn't ever put my name on anything I've written in the HSC for Belonging because it is plain bullshit and is not a good story.

Also, everybody who thinks that loading their work with adjectives to form a 'complex' story are wrong. Google 'purple prose' and read. You'll learn something about 'good' writing, I assure you.

Summary: there is a dichotomy between 'good writing' and a 15/15 creative in the HSC. The former takes skill whereas the latter requires bullshit, a demonstration of belonging, various literary techniques and a 'big word' here and there.

In regards to OP - focus on Belonging and literary techniques such as a motif (e.g. sound/smell). Use a big word here and there but don't go overboard. Don't use too many adjectives because they tend to tell and not show.

iStudent

HSC
WOW this is my problem too. Most B6 creatives I've seen is just flooded with description... so sad because my story is the opposite
Even worse is that the people who I've shown it to have really liked it (one cried because of how moving it was) but markers don't really care about the "creative writing" but instead language techniques >.>

Edit: The only standout technique in my writing is a poem and symbolism, otherwise barely any description
Damn nice

Reactions: QZP

Intrinsic

HSC
This is why I absolutely HATE creative writing. English teachers usually emphasise the importance of visual/auditory/sensory imagery in creative stories - not to mention there is a crap load of Do's and Dont's it's unbelievable.

Only 6 more days -.- 6 more........

HSC
Late to the party but I've been told from feedback to 'do less for the plot and focus more on characters'
Personally I do not enjoy stories that go round and round for one event and the character(s) don't actually do anything
Would not read hsc creatives for leisure!

photastic

HSC
Late to the party but I've been told from feedback to 'do less for the plot and focus more on characters'
Personally I do not enjoy stories that go round and round for one event and the character(s) don't actually do anything
Would not read hsc creatives for leisure!
I just took a simple piece of event and injected with sophisticated description.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)