Creative Writing (1 Viewer)

Sambam429

HSC
Hi, so my story is about a man going to war who daydreams while at fighting the war, they start off good then deteriorate. There is only two daydreams. What could I name them? One's obviously got have a happy name and the other bad. My tutor told me to use the seasons but I don't understand how to because there isn't four daydreams? Or do I name his fighting in the war too?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In general, I would strongly advise you to stay away from war and daydream stories, because unless you know someone who is a soldier in real life, there is a very real risk you might over-dramatise war-as scenes seen on TV dramas or movies and also daydreams and war usually don't go together in a realistic manner, it is highly unlikely individuals will be day-dreaming in war... the best stories with the most authentic voices are usually centred on your personal real life experiences, perhaps focus on those ordinary everyday events rather than the extra-ordinary ones:)

GabbyS

HSC
In general, I would strongly advise you to stay away from war and daydream stories, because unless you know someone who is a soldier in real life, there is a very real risk you might over-dramatise war-as scenes seen on TV dramas or movies and also daydreams and war usually don't go together in a realistic manner, it is highly unlikely individuals will be day-dreaming in war... the best stories with the most authentic voices are usually centred on your personal real life experiences, perhaps focus on those ordinary everyday events rather than the extra-ordinary ones:)
Agreed. Even if you research, it often doesn't work well - my friend wrote one and it sounded like a wikipedia article (and she is a brilliant writer). If you don't want to change your story, consider adding another 'dimension' to make your character authentic. I personally like the use of motifs to give more power and symbolism behind narrative, but it's up to you to decide what suits you and your writing style. Consider structure too, it can make or break a narrative. Good luck!

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
Why don't you have a little kid daydreaming in class about being a soldier going to battle?

@AbsoluteZero Winter is coming

Sambam429

HSC
Agreed. Even if you research, it often doesn't work well - my friend wrote one and it sounded like a wikipedia article (and she is a brilliant writer). If you don't want to change your story, consider adding another 'dimension' to make your character authentic. I personally like the use of motifs to give more power and symbolism behind narrative, but it's up to you to decide what suits you and your writing style. Consider structure too, it can make or break a narrative. Good luck!
Thanks for the concern and advice guys! My teacher told me to stick with this story so I think I will as I got full marks but thankyou anyways! I hope I don't regret it later!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)