credit average? how hard? (1 Viewer)

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
sorry bout ignorance regarding uni marks, but how hard is it to get a credit average eg: wats marks i need to obtain and wat percentage of students is able to obtain a credit average.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Other people will give their own opinions, but mine are:

1. Hardness? Not too bad. Depends on the subject I guess. If you at least attempt all the weekly work and actually study for the final exams, then a Credit shouldn't be too hard.

2. The mark for a Credit grade at most uni's is 65-74, which means an average within that range is a Credit average. A pass is 50-64, Distiction is 75-84 and High Distinction is 85-100.

3. Depends on the uni. Some uni's and courses/subjects apply bell curves so that only certain % of students get a certain grade. There would be a larger proportion getting a Credit though. At uni's like UTS (and UWS I believe?) they don't really use the bell curve system.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i would say if you work your arse off you're in for Ds most of the time, depending on your ability in the unit of course.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i depends on how smart you are of course, and also your personality. if you are a self starter you are most likely to succeed.

my cousins both have HD WAMs at macq for law but at school they had no interest in work. at uni they got interested and everything just happened cause they liked the work and learning..........

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
To get a reasonable mark at uni will depends on your interest and what subjects you are picking.
take me for example, i did chemistry and philosophy last semester. Chemistry (from the science faculty) and philosophy (from the arts faculty) are completely different. I had to study very, very hard in chemistry to get 71. yet i didn't really do much in philosophy and ended up getting 82. So it's up to what subjects you pick. And if you pick something interesting for you, like biology for me, even though it is difficult, I still manage to get a HD.

It's not hard to pass a subject at uni no matter what subject you take. Just put in a little bit of effort. On the other hand, it is difficult to get over 90. *cough* band 6 in uni? lol

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
UOW is fairly easy to get through and attain a credit average. But it depends on the course. I guess the answer to these questions can only be answered by yourself after you've done a year at uni.

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
i went to the open days, and they were all telling me about credits and distinctions, it is so confusing. this sorta cleared things up a bit, but i guess i have to start uni to really know.

and heaps of thanks for your help.

doingHSC

HSC
do they have some sort of scaling, cos its not fair for a person to do difficult subjects and get crapier marks in comparison to a person doing easy subject (especially if ur looking for a transfer)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
It depends on the course as said above, in my experience it's not too difficult if you like the subjects you do and have some sort of intelligence. I failed 2 subjects and still ended up with a credit average at the end. Your first years is your best bet to lay a good GPA down, some of those subjects are made to get HDs in, you know things like Comp100-Introduction to Microsoft Office. And because it's all a bell curve you just have to go beat the majority of other people that take the subjects.

Once you are at uni it doesn't matter that someone who does an easier subject gets a higher grade, because that person could not possibly be doing your degree so it's really irrelevant. You can go and find out what the bludge subjects are if grades mean that much to you and base your degree that way but if that is all you care about you might not learn anything at all.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Scaling...differs from subject to subject, school to school, and faculty to faculty.
I know one subject I did last year, the lecturer-in-charge wasn't happy with the overall marks for the midsession exam, and so bumped them all up to fit a bell curve, where in fact most of the marks were in the 50's (%).

Generally through, particularly in subjects with large candidatures, lecturers will employ the bell curve, hence most people gain credits.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
slinky said:
i went to the open days, and they were all telling me about credits and distinctions, it is so confusing. this sorta cleared things up a bit, but i guess i have to start uni to really know.

and heaps of thanks for your help.
yeah true, i forget i didn't understand what they were at this time last year

doingHSC

HSC
LeftrightOut said:
It depends on the course as said above, in my experience it's not too difficult if you like the subjects you do and have some sort of intelligence. I failed 2 subjects and still ended up with a credit average at the end. Your first years is your best bet to lay a good GPA down, some of those subjects are made to get HDs in, you know things like Comp100-Introduction to Microsoft Office. And because it's all a bell curve you just have to go beat the majority of other people that take the subjects.

Once you are at uni it doesn't matter that someone who does an easier subject gets a higher grade, because that person could not possibly be doing your degree so it's really irrelevant. You can go and find out what the bludge subjects are if grades mean that much to you and base your degree that way but if that is all you care about you might not learn anything at all.

Natstar said:
From my expereince, there is scaling when it comes to determining ur end grades (at UWS anyway). A certain number of people get a HD, a certain number of people get a D, a certain number of people get a C. The unit co-ordiantors can scale up or down the marks of the canidature, according to how they perform in the assignments and the final exam.
I wouldent say u in competition with others. I dont feel any competition with my fellow students in the same unit whatsoever. Not everyone who does the same unit as you, does the same course so remember that, so just cuz they do the same unit as you, they could do different units..Not everyone who does ur unit is in the same year as you, some could be 2nd and 3rd year students- especially when it comes to electives

Minai said:
Scaling...differs from subject to subject, school to school, and faculty to faculty I know one subject I did last year, the lecturer-in-charge wasn't happy with the overall marks for the midsession exam, and so bumped them all up to fit a bell curve, where in fact most of the marks were in the 50's (%).

Generally through, particularly in subjects with large candidatures, lecturers will employ the bell curve, hence most people gain credits.
makes sense, thanks

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
I have question that I would like to ask. Are marks important in uni? Do high marks make it easier to get an interview with employers? Or does someone who barely passes their subjects have as much of a chance of getting a job interview as someone who consistently gets good grades?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Yes, that's what I said... :p

It is the entire package (grades, experience, other activities, personal statements, etc) rather than just the grades that will take you to an interview, but those grades will mean little if you do not understand the material or know how to apply it in a practical sense. Your grades are important, but I would more concerned with understanding what it is that you are learning.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Generator said:
Your grades are important, but I would more concerned with understanding what it is that you are learning.
hehe. than again, it's pretty difficult NOT to understand anything and get 100 in a given subject. :p

craz

HSC
I can understand why people want to bludge. It's so easy to at uni! but uni if u want to get somewhere a good job or into like a postgrad course after (like me) you have to work to maintain a 'd' average which is not easy in arts, lecturers mark hard!!!!

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
it would be easy to bludge if you arent doing a course you like............but then youd be better off not being at uni...........

i went to a very expensive school. i had all the facilities i needed to perform. then i realised i was wasting my parents money so i decided to do some work. it pays off and you also learn what you are capable of too. i learnt that i was really interested in sciences and thus my long term career goal to be a doctor or medical researcher.

i know this sounds a bit off track but getting good marks can teach you a lot more about yourself. you may find that you enjoy achieving and that you are actually suited to particular areas. it can give you more options.

so if you arent planning on putting your best effort in at uni there really is no point in going (unless you can cruise into a D average)

craz

HSC
It's really a so called 'free education'! Eventually you have to pay back your HECS to the government.

I believe working and doing something you don't enjoy - isn't worth it. Actually working at a job sometimes is better so you realise this is where i want to go!

BUT...hey im at uni now, but still working in my holidays.

I went to a private school and did the HSC with loads of help from my teachers so did reasonably well, considering how intelligent i am (not really!) Uni is easy for some people, i have friends interested, but yet are just really bright in writing essays.

Me...Im just happy with my credit average!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)