Cricket more predictable? (1 Viewer)

Has cricket become more predictable?

• Total voters

HotShot

-_-
HSC
The beauty of cricket was the fact that it was difficult to predict the result of a match. Matches would change and twist and leave you forever guessing as to the final match.

But alas, thanks to 20/20, recent favours to batsman, the sport is becoming more and more predictable. eg aus vs sa, that match the curator predicted 300+, and it was easily surpassed. although slightly weird.

so what do u think, so far i have been able to predict the match result for india vs england about 99%, aus vs sa is too predictable. pak and sl, well u can tell by the first innings.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Yes, because Bradman's Invincibles were always even money to win a series.

Likewise for the Windies of the late 80s, early 90s.

And Steve Waugh's team between about 1999-2004.

IMO, cricket is less predictable today than it was five, ten, twenty, fifty years ago.

Case in point -- tell me what the 06/07 Ashes result will be. If I had asked you ten years ago what the score for the next series would be (as in, around '97), I reckon you would have had a much more definite response.

Also, with the exception of the First Test in South Africa, the Saffies have pushed Australia to five days (I think) in all the Australian Tests and the Second Test just completed. The last time there was a double tour of Australia and South Africa, apart from the horror that was Durban, I think Australia cleaned the Saffies up inside four days every other match.

It is a shame that some sides are quite out of form at the moment in the Test arena, such as India and Sri Lanka, or are just not good enough - Bangladesh and, I'm sorry to say, West Indies.

One Day cricket is fairly predictable, on the other hand. Australia and India are practically sweeping all before them, whilst New Zealand seem to be improving very quickly (and hardly ever losing a home series).

Overall, though, I think cricket (especially Test cricket) is less predictable than it has probably ever been.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Yes, because Bradman's Invincibles were always even money to win a series.

Likewise for the Windies of the late 80s, early 90s.

And Steve Waugh's team between about 1999-2004.

IMO, cricket is less predictable today than it was five, ten, twenty, fifty years ago.

Case in point -- tell me what the 06/07 Ashes result will be. If I had asked you ten years ago what the score for the next series would be (as in, around '97), I reckon you would have had a much more definite response.

Also, with the exception of the First Test in South Africa, the Saffies have pushed Australia to five days (I think) in all the Australian Tests and the Second Test just completed. The last time there was a double tour of Australia and South Africa, apart from the horror that was Durban, I think Australia cleaned the Saffies up inside four days every other match.

It is a shame that some sides are quite out of form at the moment in the Test arena, such as India and Sri Lanka, or are just not good enough - Bangladesh and, I'm sorry to say, West Indies.

One Day cricket is fairly predictable, on the other hand. Australia and India are practically sweeping all before them, whilst New Zealand seem to be improving very quickly (and hardly ever losing a home series).

Overall, though, I think cricket (especially Test cricket) is less predictable than it has probably ever been.

but i mean by predictable by the first innings, not before the match has even started.. like after a first innings of team, i feel it very easy to predict the result of the match,

for eg, sl vs pakistan test- i predict either a win to SL or a draw.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
I dont know how good your memory is (although judging by your IQ of 87 or whatever you said it was, i dont think its too good), but just two weeks ago there was a match in which two teams just got over 400 defeating everyones predictions. Also, yesterday, India defeated England. When a team gets bowled out for 203, you dont think that they have a good chance of winning, but then, the England side got pWn3d by a in from Harbhajan adn there you go. Cricket is still great, and its even better now cos Australia has shit bowlers.

timprice

great success!
HSC
so you predicted south africa chasing 434? get a grip mate, cricket is probably still the most unpredictable game in the world. the game can change entirely in a matter of a few moments back and forth. it's the best game ever.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
but i predicted the results quite accurately, for eg i predicted that sa would win. and that ind vs eng, ind would win0 though tat was close guess. as for the pak sl i suggest sl would win or draw. its going to be a draw.

maybe its just me, maybe i am gud at predicting stuff.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
HotShot said:
but i predicted the results quite accurately, for eg i predicted that sa would win. and that ind vs eng, ind would win0 though tat was close guess. as for the pak sl i suggest sl would win or draw. its going to be a draw.

maybe its just me, maybe i am gud at predicting stuff.
You predicted SA would win...but did you predict they'd score 437 to get the win?

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Minai, perhaps he predicted South Africa would win when they were something like 1/270 off 30 overs.

I must say, it was a master prediction.

HotShot,

I cannot believe you are telling me that it's easy to predict a game after it's already halfway through being finished.

Let me get this straight.

You are effectively saying this:

In 1997, when Australia had a lead of, say, 200 runs on the first innings against England, it was genuinely tough to predict the outcome of the match?

And yet, in 2005, when England had a lead of 50 runs on the first innings against Australia, it was much easier to predict the outcome?

Get a grip.

Good to see that you can predict Sri Lanka vs Pakistan would either be a win for Sri Lanka or a draw when you see that Sri Lanka score 450-odd runs in the second innings, lead by 460 and have Pakistan two wickets down already.

Yes, you MUST be a really good analyst! Nice predicting :)

timprice

great success!
HSC
did you predict taht england would be coasting about to get the runs india set but lost 6 wickets for basically nothing to loose? cricket is horribly unpredictable at the best of times.

MRCUNT

Banned
HSC
N/A
for the aus vs sa, match, i predicted sa would win after aus had score 437 (at the close of their innings) i didnt even watch the match, just on cricinfo.

ok, here is the deal, i will predict who will win the ind vs england series. india will win, they are already 2-0. next match, who will win? well i need know the first innings total, any way i will predict that if england bats first, then india will win.

yeah i am saying it is easier to predict matches now than before, especially with pitches now basically favouring batting, or being predictable as well.

this aus vs sa, atm i favouring sa, but they havent finished their innings, when they finish i will predict and lets see what happens.

MRCUNT

Banned
HSC
N/A
well i did say i was favoring sa to win.. still not 100% about 80%, i will tell you my final decision at the end of australia's innings thats about half way.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Dude, why don't you tell us your prediction when Australia are batting in the fourth innings, and are 8/120 chasing 260 for victory with 60 overs still to face?

Then we would know you are a TRUE champion of all predictors.

MRCUNT

Banned
HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
Dude, why don't you tell us your prediction when Australia are batting in the fourth innings, and are 8/120 chasing 260 for victory with 60 overs still to face?

Then we would know you are a TRUE champion of all predictors.
lol, i will predict at the end of australia's current innings.

richz

yes 20/20 cricket favours batsmen, and they make bowlers look pedestrian, its gonna destroy the game, young kids will never want to be bowlers no more.

Another stupid idea brought about by the pommies.

HannahMc

HSC
Yeah, 20/20 cricket is ruining it. People just don't have as much of an attention span to watch test matches as often I guess. Tests are still really unpredictable. Who would have guesse Aust would lose the ashes?

vizman

HSC
its mainly because all our guns are getting old, warne and mcgrath notably - hence were not as dominant :eek:

HannahMc

HSC
^^ That's partly true. When I first got into cricket, about 3 or 4 years ago, we were dominating. No one could beat us, etc, etc, etc. Now that the players are aging, and there's no young superstars to replace them, Australian cricket is worsening. It was bound to happen sometime, and it looks like it's happening now. Hopefully Cricket Australia will find a couple promising up-and-comers and give them lots of experience, allowing our older players to retire and let up retain our dominance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)