Criminally Underrated Bands in Particular Genres (1 Viewer)

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Post amazing bands, active or not, that deserve much more recognition

Paulson
Genre: Indie/Synth-pop/Alternative Rock
For those who like: The Postal Service, Minus The Bear, Umbrellas
Best Songs: Voids, Calling on You, Window Frames, Just Shy, Convertible.

A band I've not been able to stop listening to over the past few months, they have an infectious, original sound. The vocals are particularly great.

Benton Falls
Genre: Midwest Emo/Indie/Post-Hardcore
For those who like: Any 90's emo, Thrice and The Appleseed Cast are the only well known bands I can think of with strong similarities.
Best Songs: All These Things, Sad Like Winter Leaves, Always Behind a Smile, No Hero, This Housecall Could Kill, The Race to Die, Angel on Hiatus.

This band released two of the most amazing, deeply personal albums ever then broke up. Lyrics have a descriptive, narrative-like style and are combined with atmospheric and sometimes very intense melodies. Was never going to breakout in popularity for obvious reasons, but its hard to see music like this not appreciated. Warning: Can be extremely depressing.

Osker
Genre: Pop-Punk (first album) Melodic Punk/ Alternative Rock (second album)
For those who like: The Lawrence Arms, Saves The Day, Alkaline Trio
Best Songs: Dying, Ballad of a Traitor, Panic, 13, Strangled, Kinetic, Back to You, Disconnect, Disconnect.

I bought both Osker's albums when I was 14, and both were favourites for most of my teenage years. The first album Treatment 5 is abrasive pop-punk with songs primarily about hating everyone and how people suck (not exaggerating, these are literally the subjects of the songs). I used to love it but can't relate as much now, even though I still think it's awesome. The second album, Idle Will Kill, is close to my favourite album ever. It's much more melodic, full of brooding, moody, honest songs. I've never heard anything else like it.

The Weakerthans
Genre: Indie, Folk Rock
For those who like: Death Cab for Cutie, The Mountain Goats
Best Songs: None of the Above, Aside, Pamphleteer, Left and Leaving, Plea From a Cat Named Virtue, Uncorrected Proofs, Night Windows.

Much more well-known than the others mentioned here, yet don't seem to be as popular as very similar acts, especially in Australia. The poetic lyrics are some of the best I've ever heard, and there are just so many beautiful songs. Think Death Cab For Cutie with less radio friendliness, far better lyrics, and fewer pretentious boring parts.

I await your contributions!

johony

HSC

binary star

HSC
The Avalanches.
they've gained media attention .. but still....

ray ban

HSC
all these pop punk bands aren't popular for a fucking reason.

Hornby

Banned
HSC
Steel Panther

Genre: Glam Metal

For those who like G'N'R, Motley Crue, Van Halen, Scorpions, etc.

These guys have been around for ages and had many different band names, and have without a doubt the best lyrics out of any glam metal band period.

ray ban

HSC
Steel Panther

These guys have been around for ages and had many different band names, and have without a doubt the best lyrics out of any glam metal band period.
finally a band making good music. nice dude.

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
Steel Panther

Glam/hair/general faggotry metal makes me want to vomit.

Kill Devil Hills are terribly under-rated. Mix of bluesy/folk/blah/whiskey/junk habit rock.
the song Drinkin' too Much is epic, and Angry Town

Abbe May is particularly excellent in the same genre. Dope voice.

Last edited:

Hornby

Banned
HSC
Glam/hair/general faggotry metal makes me want to vomit.

Kill Devil Hills are terribly under-rated. Mix of bluesy/folk/blah/whiskey/junk habit rock.
the song Drinkin' too Much is epic, and Angry Town

Abbe May is particularly excellent in the same genre. Dope voice.
I'm glad you picked up that the post was made as a bit of fun as Steel Panther poke fun at the whole Glam Metal scene. Granted some of it, does verge on blah most of it is awesome and you got to remember that what makes it great is that it's so ridiculous

And as for Kill Devil Hills, I totally agree, great band. My particular favourites were "The Gunslinger" and "The Drought"

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Name: The Presidents Of The United States Of America
Link: Presidents of the USA on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Genre: Alternative Rock
Sounds Like: Nick Cave, Andrew Bird, Offspring

Description: Although the hit commercial success with 'Lump' and 'Peaches' they still remain reletively unknown. Providing a comedic edge to the later sounds of grunge, the lyrics range from unusual observations, to surreal imagery. They're also one of the few bands I know to employ the use of a basitar and a guitbass.

Songs: Volcano, Back Porch, Supermodel, Bath of Fire, Some Postman, Peaches, Lump.

Best Albums: II, The Presidents of the United States of America

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)