CSE wireless network (1 Viewer)

rand0m3r

HSC
how does the cse wireless network work? i believe for uniwide you have to pay $1 just to get connected. is there a similar fee for cse? and is the range of the cse limited only to the vicinity of the k17 building?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Usage for CSE wireless comes out of your CSE account so theres no fee, just like as if you were sitting on a lab machine. Wireless covers each floor of CSE and the immediate outside area.

CSE wireless is MAC address protected, so you have to get your MAC address registered at help desk.

rand0m3r

HSC
and are you aware of any $30 quota for the uniwide network at the start of each session. i heard about it somewhere.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yes...CSE students get funding for UDUS, which is meant to be UNSW's modem pool. The funds for UniWide come out of your UDUS account. You can check the account it at the comms unit DIY page: https://www.diy.unsw.edu.au/

rand0m3r

HSC
interesting... i have had $12.80 credit since july last yr up until end of february this yr. why such an odd amount?

is it going to replenish at the start of session 1. and should i be expecting more if i'm in seng/comm ?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
How does Uniwide work? Is there a piece of software that you use to log in or...?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Its a VPN, theres a VPN client Disconnect installs for you.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
sunny said:
Its a VPN, theres a VPN client Disconnect installs for you.
And downloads are free right? Just the $1 login? Sounds like leechers heaven.

rand0m3r

HSC
ok another question for you sunny.

which linux distribution + which wireless network card is it easiest to set up wireless internet on linux. like at home, i've got a netgear card and mandrake 10.1, but there are no linux drivers for my card so i can't even get on the net.

so yeah i need a good distribution and the right card. thx.

Vylen

HSC
rand0m3r said:
ok another question for you sunny.

which linux distribution + which wireless network card is it easiest to set up wireless internet on linux. like at home, i've got a netgear card and mandrake 10.1, but there are no linux drivers for my card so i can't even get on the net.

so yeah i need a good distribution and the right card. thx.
you're better off looking at http://www.linuxquestions.org/ to look under the "Linux HCL" aka Linux Hardware compatibility List... and view various devices that are known to work/not work on linux...

any distro should be fine too... it all depends on what you're used to... i used to use Mandrake 9.1... but i grew out of the need for RPM's and use Gentoo on my PC

sunny

meh.
HSC
Wireless network card support is somewhat horrible in Linux (the last I tried). I've had some success with Fedora.

Vylen

HSC
After a quick browse of the HCL.. seems like there's a lot of success with users on Ubuntu and wireless cards...

rand0m3r

HSC
i'm probably going to install fedora coz it has been recommended to me by a number of ppl, and even the new edition of "Linux for Dummies" uses fedora as their examples, so i think it'll be a good distibution for a linux n00b like myself.

also, where in sydney is a good place to shop for lappies? i've been to capital square a few times but i thought they were quite pricey. i'm looking for a 13" widescreen, centrino... don't really need mad specs coz i'm not planning on playing games on it, but as long as i can watch movies well on it.

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
rand0m3r said:
haha good one! what about non-dells.
I'm currently using one of those Toshiba M50. I don't think it's good at all. Should probably consider the Acer Aspire 5502 or the HP/Compaq ones. I've always had Compaqs before this and they are very reliable and robust imho.

Last edited:

f3aCyclone

HSC
Thinkpad all the way!

My X40 runs debian very well, since IBM supports linux relatively well. Mine has the Atheros a/b/g wireless card which works perfectly with the madwifi linux drivers. Took a while to get the config right initially, but I use it every day. Most centrino based laptops should also work ok now. This wasn't the case when I got mine (nearly 12 months ago). Check http://www.linux-laptop.net/ for details before you buy.

If you are new to linux I would recommend ubuntu, since it is debian based but much more friendly during install/setup. It also has a great community that has already answered nearly any question you could have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)