Csu - journalism (1 Viewer)

rachelann

HSC
Hi,
I was wondering whether present Journalism students of CSU Bathust could give me an idea of what is required for admission.
I am aware of the "ATAR+Criteria" response given on the website and in uni guides but I would like to know what UAI/ATAR current students achieved (and were subsequently accepted).
Also, what kind of questions were asked in your interview and questionaire?
I have been very interested in persuing journalism for the past few years but fear not being accepted into university or achieving the required ATAR.
Is it necessary for one to be studying advanced or extension english?

Basically, if students from the past couple of years (so it's relevance is greater) could respond to this, that would be fantastic.
I am a little stressed regarding being accepted into uni as I am quite a perfectionist & have very large aspirations for my future.

Thanks,
Rach

toby12

HSC
i got accepted for this year and deffered.. i think it was 3 long response questions i answered with one being an essay with a very odd question that i cant really recall atm, but i may have it somewhere so i will have a look for you!

and i got in with a uai of 80.1, but i do know of a friend who got 63 as a uai and they also got into a communications course! which really tells you that the questionaire is very important..

rachelann

HSC
fantastic!
if you could find that question thatd be awesome.
so the questionaire talks about what kind of questions?
thank you again :)

Flying_Penis

Banned
HSC
Yay csu. You know theres sheep and cows and chickes on campus. My pet dog did a bachelor of commerce there.

toby12

HSC
ha good one pal...

rach - sorry but i thought i saved it on my computer, but i cant find it anywhere! i think it was like a statement about journalists defining something, or something weird like that.. but i wouldnt worry about it if i was you, cause they will most likely change it this year and im sure you will do fine anyway!

LAMBERS16

HSC
Hi Rachel :)

I am a second year Journo student at CSU. Firstly, let me tell you that I thought of the same questions as you when I was in year 12. To be honest, I didn't think I would get in because sooo many people kept telling me it was too competitive. But nonetheless, you have to have a little bit of hope! You never know what happens!

Regarding UAI/ATAR, I heard that there isn't really a HUGE focus on it....but the course coordinator told my journo group last year that generally, you should get between the high/mid 70s....they prefer people in the 80s, he said. I got the high 80s, (89.20) if that helps at all.... but i know people who got in with marks in the high 90s....just depends i guess!

The most important part is the essay/questionnaire......be original in the essay. That's all i can say! Don't say things like "i love writing" etc....but it just depends on what essay question you get as well....my question was different, more about why i wanted to be a journalist sorta question!

Work experience is also a big advantage or something that looks favourable on your application. Sure, its not mandatory, but it shows you have genuine initiative and interest in journalism! Makes your application stand out from every other yr 12 student applying :) I had quite a bit of work experience for mine - local newspaper, news limited journalism work experience program etc....but it doesn't matter where you went for work experience, any work experience looks good!

Hope that helps!
Good luck!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)