CSU Vs. UTS (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma.

I'm studying Nursing at CSU Bathurst and absolultley love it. It offers the subjects I want, with an emphasis on rural health and allows me to elect my own pracs after Sem2 Year 2, which is very important to me. I know I want to work at Dubbo Base once I graduate and the disrict hospitals attached to the Maquarie Area Health Serivce, however I want to try Remote Area up near Fitzroy Crossing too, another option CSU offers in Pracs. The social life is great, I can play rugby through the Uni (which other Uni's don't seem to offer apart from Womens Rugby in Uni Games) and I'm generally enjoying myself.

My only problem is money - it's becoming more and more obvious I can not really afford to live on my own and I can't find a job. If I were to return to Sydney, I could find a job, and would have a roof over my head a food. But I'd loose the above.

So, how does UTS compare to CSU in regards to their social life? The emphasis on Rural Health? Whats Kuring-Gai like compared to City? I'd prefer City as it's alot easier to get to coming from St George.

Thanks!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I don't study nursing. But I can tell you that the social life at UTS would be less than at CSU Bathurst, esp since you are living on campus. We have sporting teams etc, but there isn't the same community atmmosphere that I assume there is at CSU Bathurst. Plus because it is the city, there is so much to do that campus life isn't people's main form of entertainment.

Have you tried applying for any scholarships? Youth Allowance? Those kinds of things might help. Do you have any experience in hospitality or anything? Maybe you could pick up work in Sydney during your holidays for a casual hospitality agency or something.... apply for positions as Christmas casuals now for over summer break.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Thought it might not have been as good. I'm on YA now, and have tried and tried to get work, but anyone who knows Bathurst knows just how easy it is...

Thanks for your reply Ash :)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
yeah the social life at uts is lacking at times, its up to you to make use of the time you have with friends

but i have heard kuringa is full of nice people and im always sure somewhere in sydney you can find a women's union team if u dont like the uts sporting services

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Thanks mate - actually looked at the clubs - Southern Districts doesn't have a team (apprently) unfortunatly. Sydney Uni does though, hopefully it's like the teams here, where you don't need to be attending the Uni to play ;)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I never thought I'd say this, but have you thought of going to UoW instead for nursing. Out of the universities close to St. George, UoW would be one of the only ones close to dealing with rural nursing. I'll say now that the Nursing degree at UoW doesn't look bad at all, and if you're into that thing ths social life is pretty good (guess who isn't into it).

Of course if you were to stay in Bathurst for your degree, that be much more desirable. Good luck with it. :)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I had a look at UoW and they said I'd have to do all my pracs in the Illawarra area. I started off at UoW last year (and droped out ;)) but it was a nice place, but takes as long to get to as UTS KG. I'll look into the rural health aspect though, cheers! :)

As for the pub team, wouldn't mind...dunno what pubs have teams though.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I know it is really hard to get jobs in Bathurst, I have had friends move up there.... it's because students make up such a large percentage of the town.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)