Curve sketching practice questions? (1 Viewer)

Shakugan

HSC
I am currently trying to revise curve sketching, as it seems to be an area in which I could gain a significant amount of easy marks.

The problem is that there are practically no curve sketching questions in the text books that I have that are similar to the HSC curve sketching questions. By this I mean that there are no questions that supply a graph of an undisclosed function and then ask for graphs of [f(x)]^2, f'(x), F(x) etc.

I have no idea why these question types would not be included, as they seem to constitute almost all curve sketching questions in the HSC papers that I have seen.

Does anyone have any links to questions of this type? I do not wish to pluck them out of past exam papers as I wish to do the papers in test conditions.

SSejychan

HSC
yeah... you can never find questions like that, eh?

well... in this link, there's one question like that.
http://www.geocities.com/mathematicsplus/y12_hsc_maths_ext2__worksheet_graphs5.pdf

i got it from this website: http://www.geocities.com/mathematicsplus/resources.html - there's a bunch of worksheets on curve sketching, but only 1 question (the one i included in the first link) which is the type of question you're looking for.

yeah, sorry i couldn't help much, cos i'd also like more of this type of question.

Last edited:

ssglain

HSC
There's not a great lot of that out there.

I suppose you could always draw a crazy convoluted squiggle yourself and then do graphs of [f(x)]², [f(x)]³, √f(x), 1/f(x), ln[f(x)], etc. :)

If you want to check your answers, then it might be better to start off with a known function and then just use graphing software to find out what on earth e^2f(x) looks like...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)