Dalai lama unfazed by pm snub (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
DALAI LAMA UNFAZED BY PM SNUB

The Dalai Lama gave so little thought to the prospect of a meeting with Australia's prime minister he didn't even know she was a "she".

Asked on Tuesday whether he was disappointed Julia Gillard had followed Labor tradition by declining a meeting, the Tibetan spiritual leader was blunt: "No."

The 75-year-old Buddhist - who recently relinquished control of the Tibetan government in exile - said the goal of his visit was to promote values and religious harmony.

"If your prime minister has some kind of spiritual interest then of course my meeting would be useful," he told reporters at Parliament House in Canberra.

"Otherwise, I have nothing to ask him. Also, you see, there's no point to seek advice from him."

One of the Dalai Lama's aides quietly corrected His Holiness: "Her".

"Oh, from her," he said with a laugh.

Ms Gillard later defended her decision to dodge a meeting.

"The Dalai Lama is a frequent visitor to Australia," she told reporters.

"I think he's been here four times in the last five years. On some occasions he has met with prime minister, on others he hasn't."

Ms Gillard said China played no role in her decision: "I make my own decisions and the government makes its own decisions about meetings that we hold."

The government sent Environment Minister Peter Garrett to meet privately with the Nobel Peace Prize winner in Ms Gillard's stead.

The Dalai Lama also met with Opposition Leader Tony Abbott, Nationals Leader Warren Truss and Australian Greens Leader Bob Brown.

Mr Abbott described it as a "good and constructive meeting".

Asked what he got out of it, Mr Abbott said: "I think an added consciousness of the importance of the spiritual dimension to life and a sense of his commitment to the welfare of the Tibetan people."

The Australia Tibet Council expressed disappointment with Ms Gillard's decision, pointing out no Labor prime minister had met the Dalai Lama since Paul Keating in 1992.

"Strangely, the prime minister can find time to fly to Sydney to meet Oprah Winfrey and meets regularly with Chinese officials and heads of industry, yet cannot find 10 minutes to meet the Dalai Lama in Parliament House," said the council's Paul Bourke.

Labor backbencher Michael Danby, who helped organise the visit, said he had hoped for a warmer welcome from senior government members.

"I hoped in light of recent developments in China, related to the Jasmine Revolution, that at least Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd would seek the Dalai Lama's insights," he said.

John Howard met with the Dalai Lama in 1996 and 2007 but Mr Rudd declined meetings in 2008 and 2009, sparking accusations he was kowtowing to China.

The Dalai Lama's travels often spark tensions between host countries and China, which regards him as a separatist.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/9636660/dalai-lama-unfazed-by-pm-snub/
Facebook page to go with it: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Julia-Gillard-is-a-Man-Dalai-Lama/232130186797599

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
The Dalai Lama wants to enslave Tibet after setting it free good move by Labor imo

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
dalai shrugging it off like an alpha, should have just said something like "oh sorry i saw her and she looks like a dude"

Jaymay

HSC
Who gives a flying fuck if she met him or not. Her responsibility is to run Australia is it not?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Who gives a flying fuck if she met him or not. Her responsibility is to run Australia is it not?
If given the choice to meet the Dalai Lama or some fat offish dumb cunt who only came here on a business venture, id choose the DL.

Gillard just doesnt want China going "Herp Derp, no more buying your minerals!"

HSC
"Strangely, the prime minister can find time to fly to Sydney to meet Oprah Winfrey and meets regularly with Chinese officials and heads of industry, yet cannot find 10 minutes to meet the Dalai Lama in Parliament House,"

wow what an ugly racist lizard

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
yeh it must be a race thing cos shes meetin with orientals all the time but refuses to meet with another oriental

LonelyWolf

HSC
"strangely, the prime minister can find time to fly to sydney to meet oprah winfrey and meets regularly with chinese officials and heads of industry, yet cannot find 10 minutes to meet the dalai lama in parliament house,"

wow what an ugly racist lizard
not racist m8

Lentern

HSC
If given the choice to meet the Dalai Lama or some fat offish dumb cunt who only came here on a business venture, id choose the DL.

Gillard just doesnt want China going "Herp Derp, no more buying your minerals!"
If anyone in Canberra seriously thinks Beijing cares about Aussies meeting the Dalai Lama, just god help us. Some clerk in the mail room would draft an official condemnation on behalf of the CCP and that would be the last anyone would hear of it.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I honestly don't get it. Who cares about the Dalai Lama

he can spiritually suck my dick pff

Lentern

HSC
I honestly don't get it. Who cares about the Dalai Lama

he can spiritually suck my dick pff
You're the onewho thinks NRL players are all misunderstood angels right?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
If anyone in Canberra seriously thinks Beijing cares about Aussies meeting the Dalai Lama, just god help us. Some clerk in the mail room would draft an official condemnation on behalf of the CCP and that would be the last anyone would hear of it.
You basically typed what was in my brain.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
PM did the right thing!

The Dalai lama is a wolf in sheep skin - lavishly fed by his CIA masters. He claims he support democracy, when he himself is not a democratically elected leader (the way he is 'elected' is most absurd - look it up if you care to know). Under the Dalai lama Tibet was a feudal state with majority of Tibetans working as serfs for the aristocrats.

HSC
Uni Grad
PM did the right thing!

The Dalai lama is a wolf in sheep skin - lavishly fed by his CIA masters. He claims he support democracy, when he himself is not a democratically elected leader (the way he is 'elected' is most absurd - look it up if you care to know). Under the Dalai lama Tibet was a feudal state with majority of Tibetans working as serfs for the aristocrats.
I hate the Dalai Lama, just as much I hate the current PM. His ideas are fake, just like many other politicians and influential people nowadays =_=

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
fake because hes asian

if youve ever bought some designer clothes or software from some asians on a side street in hong kong youll know what i mean

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)