Dawn fill, Night fill, after school casual positions... (1 Viewer)

Jas315

HSC
N/A
Dawn fill, Night fill, after school casual positions - Coles...

I've recently taken the interest in working for Coles supermarkets & the alike... what I've wanted to know is, can anyone tell me the difference between Dawn fill & Night fill?... what are the assigned jobs to each of them?...

I have chosen to go Part-time, although whether I should be interested in Dawn fill & Night fill as the others such as StockHand & Checkout still remains in the "unsure" pile since I have no knowledge as to what I would be doing.

With the part-time choice, is the "After school casual" position still a valid option?... anyone ever try this poisition before throughout their career at Coles?...

Thanks in advance to anyone who's answered :)

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
Ummm.. Dawn fill and Night fill.. this is a GUESS..

Dawn fill are the ones that work till the very early hours.. I've heard of people staying until 3-4am in the morning..
So I guess night fill are those that work a night shift.. until the store closes.. which is most likely 10pm-12am..

Everyone who starts off at coles is a casual.. you dont get to choose.. only when you prove yourself.. eg, you're going to stay for a long time.. they're interested in keeping you permanently, etc.. THEN they ask.. or you can go ask if you want to become a permanent part timer..

I can tell you what Checkouts do. lol.

Um.. we don't do much ahahhaha.. nah.. the biggest thing is just learning to use the system.. which a lot of people fail at.. Basically after your instore induction you get to use a touchscreen computer with a tutorial system in it so you get to learn where all the buttons are, and what functions you'd need to know.. your main point of interest is just sales.. you dont have to deal with angry customers, refunds, etc.. those you can just shove in the supervisors' face.. Before I was supervisor I just directed anyone who's not purchasing anything to my superior.. now I have to deal with them.

Seriously, checkouts is not as bad as 99% of people make it to be.. although who you deal with is dependant on which area you work in.. my area is boganville.. and I deal with some sweetest people, some retarded [literally] people, some disabled people, some drug addicts, some cheapskates..

If you apply for Checkouts.. please be someone who knows how to count.. I've had to deal with training several new staff who seem to be better off facing shelves than dealing with money..

In a nutshell.. you greet customers..you just scan stuff.. count the money [correctly] you're given.. know how to round numbers off to the nearest 5c [you'd be surprised].. learn how to correctly pack bags [eg. dont put laundry powder and icecream in the same bag].. give them the correct change.. know how to calculate change if they give you loose change after the transaction was completed.. know how to perform a sales in EFTPOS.. if you sell cigarettes, it'll be an advantage if you can memorise what you sell and how many mgs each pack is worth.. I've had alot of people just say "brand-mgs".. and if you dont know it'd be a hassle..

Depending on if your store has delivery you'd need to learn how to write those forms as well.. hmm.. phone credit is for supervisors and above..

And if you have spare time, you give you register a wipe down.. and clear it of litter..

It sounds like alot.. but seriously, if you're not retarded you'd get the hang of it within 1wk.. then it becomes so natural you dont have to think at all..

Jas315

HSC
N/A
Wow, you've explained so much, it's weird how you put up with it til the end! thanks lol :)

Well... I was thinking about taking Part-Time (on the application form) but, you said everyone who starts off at Coles for the first time, is always Casual?... I live in Melbourne, Victoria... in a suburb resembling sort of, hmm... China town?... so hardly any Bogans, but hey.. same arrogance anywhere you go actually! lol... so I guess I'd have to check "Casual"?... maybe after I work Casual for a while, they'll ask me as well... I just like the whole "Secure" feel of part-time...

I'm pretty sure I can count money, I mean... I am good with money... saving it. But, hmmm, it depends how quick I'll have to do it, I guess I can compare it to me couting my money before I go to the shop counter after I pick out the product I've wanted to purchase? :) I do it quite well... I'm a guy though, so I dread the "Check out chick" label by the mates :p

I think Stockhands is like the tech term of Stockboy... putting stuff on shelves & stuff, I think that's pretty good... I like moving around, organizing, stuff like that... plus I might even get a workout while doing it too lol...

So, no one can do Checkouts for a day or two, and then switch to Stockhand for a while, and maybe go back later?... or is it just one assigned job, and that's it... but nonetheless, you've explained ALOT... and I appreciate it HEAPS... it's good to finally discuss it with someone who's actually worked at Coles before :)

CieL

HSC
Meh.. I have too much spare time on my hands =]

Just check part time and casual.. can't you choose more than one? I'm pretty sure I checked both.. but it depends on what they offer at your store I guess.. But put part time if this is what you really want.. you'd be getting around $2/hr less.. but trust me, if they give you the shifts, it evens out in the end [with the paid sick leaves and all that]..

I don't know how some people do it.. but we have a fair few staff that do more than one thing.. There's this grocery guy that mainly stocks up on fresh produce, but when it gets busy, I can call him to the checkouts because he's been trained to use the registers.. plus yesterday I was teaching another stock person how to use the registers [fail]..

Sometimes when it's quiet, my store manager occassionally tells me to do some facing up [putting products neatly at the edge of the shelf for visibility and easier for customers to take].. trolley collection [we're not a big place and dont have people to do it for us].. and sometimes I just wander around filling up confectionary and drinks in the fridges next to the checkouts and stuff..

My role is pretty fixed unless someone tells me to do something else when it's not so busy.. or we have enough front end staff to cover misc. tasks.

Jas315

HSC
N/A
Ohh true, well, I guess you've gotten used to it, then I might as well try to as well... I've put the both Casual & Part-time options as preferences... I'll let them decide :)

Oh & I've put all the Stockhand & Checkout as preferences as well.. so I'll probably pick which ever is up for grabs first =)

Well I guess I'm all set... hah, never knew it'd be so quick :p... thanks for directing me towards the right thoughts, I think I might still be struggling by now without ya! lol.

Take care, you've been great... I hope we talk sometime again!! Awesome help! xx

smelly111

HSC
hello
I work at coles carlingford. I work on the checkouts. When it gets quiet i either clean or i do loose stock.

Pace_T

HSC
working as a checkout chick is the WORST job in the world, dude

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
nah theres plenty worse. Nightfill is pretty good, but the best cop out is working long life/grocery in the afternoon. Almost no1 is there so you dont get some supervisor breathing down your neck and all you have to do is take a few trollys of overstock out and try to fit it on the shelves, take calls from checkouts and help out customers. If you are a male you sometimes might have to bring some stock up, but thats about it.

codydhu

AdherentFollower
HSC
Re: Dawn fill, Night fill, after school casual positions - Coles...

Jas315 said:
I've recently taken the interest in working for Coles supermarkets & the alike... what I've wanted to know is, can anyone tell me the difference between Dawn fill & Night fill?... what are the assigned jobs to each of them?...

I have chosen to go Part-time, although whether I should be interested in Dawn fill & Night fill as the others such as StockHand & Checkout still remains in the "unsure" pile since I have no knowledge as to what I would be doing.

With the part-time choice, is the "After school casual" position still a valid option?... anyone ever try this poisition before throughout their career at Coles?...

Thanks in advance to anyone who's answered :)
I do nightfill (casual) at coles. differences between nightfill and dawnfill are;
-Nightfill work during the night (obviously) they usually do the load (what the truck brings in on the night) Thats about it.
-Dawnfill work in the day and usually just do the boxes that are up on the top shelves (capping). Problem for these people is, its day time and aisles can be full of customers who can be rude/dumb.

Sometimes they get dawnfill ppl to do nightfill and nightfill people to do dawnfill. I guess it really just depends on if your a morning person or not (i am not)

When i started, there were about 8 other new nightfill - they must not have caught on quick enough because im the only one out of all of them who gets shifts anymore. They would be lucky to get one in a month while ive worked every night this week. So yeah, just make sure the managers get a good impression of you.

Casual rates are higher than part time. Sometimes i get over $600/week after tax

CieL

HSC
Pace_T said:
working as a checkout chick is the WORST job in the world, dude
It's not that bad.

Rather do that than waitressing.. or cleaning toilets.. or working in a food court..

Like seriously.. you get paid to smile, stand in one spot and move your arms..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)