DC motor assessment (1 Viewer)

Zero Infinite

HSC
Alright, I'm starting to stress about this model DC motor we have to build under exam conditions. It's a fair way off, in Week 5, but I'm not sure what to do right now.

I tried making a really simple motor, and that worked, but in the one they specify it has to have electromagnets. It just says use any quantity of iron, so what do I do?

I'm also a bit lost about what exactly has to be done. Does the DC motor need to be complex? What I mean is, I've seen those commercial ones and I don't think I can do that o_O It says it has to go in a box at the end of the exam, so it can't be one of those simple ones that can only stand up on a board (those things can collapse). Since it says that I have to bring whatever tools I want (while complying with the basic restrictions) do I have to create my own design for the motor?

I appreciate any assistance, especially from those who have already done the motor.

Zero Infinite

HSC
Anyone? Please? I'm sure anyone who's done the motor assessment before can help me out here. At the moment, I'm not sure what I should do.

Kaskai

HSC
LOL i did the same ass u did, you'll work out fine..i was shitting myself at the beginning as well. though i didn't have to use electromagnets. I still have my setup notes...

When you mean simple, How simple?
Did it have a commutor and armature at least?

Oh believe it or not, i had a fun time makin it with friends at the end...no sleep on the last day tryin to get it to turn continuously, and i got full marks!!

ZZ..it says connection error when i try to upload

Last edited:

Zero Infinite

HSC
Simple as in, those ones you can find instructions for on the Net, with the looped coil and some coal posts suspended by a foam board and a magnet underneath, connected to a battery. Obviously, my school is looking for something more complicated, as they have stressed the use of electromagnets, and it has to be able to be placed in a box, so since the coil one is too flimsy I doubt that qualifies.

The one I need to build has to be done in 2 hours, so it can't be too complicated, but it's definitely not easy either. I suppose they give you 2 hours for a good reason. At the moment, I don't know what to do for the electromagnet. I've seen those ones where the iron core, commutator, coils and electromagnet are all connected, but in those ones the armature is made of brass or something. You know, those commercial ones.

What I'm trying to say is, since I haven't done electronics, I don't know exactly what the school is looking for. Motors can be fairly complicated. They have just said 'model electric motor'... Seems pretty broad to me. I don't think I can build a really complex motor under exam conditions though.

Kaskai, since your one was built outside of school, I'm not sure how relevant it is to what I'm doing, but thanks anyway.

Anyway, since I've been working on Physics for most of the week, I'm going to take a break from it for a few days and cool off. This motor stuff is really stressing me out. I have time, it's in March so all help appreciated.

jeniii

HSC
kaskai's site cannot by found =[

can u tell me what u used for the commutator?

and the iron/electromagent .. did u use like a big piece of iron surrounding the motor and wrapped that in wire?? OR did u make 2 electromagnets (north and south) and placed one on either side?

wats the brush made out of? graphite/carbon.. according to text books. so .. carbon paper? .. wont foil work?

and zero infinite.. as long as it works? like as long as the wire thing spins conintuously and u have the 4 (comutator/selfstarting/electromagnet/coil) things working ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)