Debit cards (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Fair enough :)

As I said in the PM to your friend, I wasn't doubting how you got it or anything- I just know that if you are under 24, you need to be on like $60k+ income (I know this because I asked at one of those stands in the shops).

gna

HSC
Lol, no you don't mate. I hold 4 Credit Cards..

Visa Mini, Visa Velocity, Mastercard Vertigo and AMEX with Rewards.

bustinjustin

HSC
My friend got approved for a credit card when he was still in high school just after his 18th, with a limit of 1800 (i think). At the time he was earning barely a 100 a week. I got mine this year, earning over 200 a week, but still only got 1500. So it's pretty easy to get approved for a credit card, but if you don't have any self-discipline, you'll struggle badly, so a Debit card is best in such cases.

spillargroove

HSC
well when you go in to open an account, bring a drivers liscence and passport or birth cert

also bring in some student identification so you can get a student freedom account which has less fees than the other accounts

that way all credit purchases have no fees, 10 withdraws a month (8 from an atm and 2 from the bank itself) for free.

when purchasing tickets online- it just goes through visa
Spot on - now you can buy things online without credit card hassle.

Janine

HSC
N/A
Ok, thanks again for your help guys.

I went along and set up an account/ordered a debit card today. Does anyone know how long it takes to get to you? The people at the bank said they will call me!

Reason being, I REALLY need it in about 10 days time!!!

doingHSC

HSC
Janine said:
Ok, thanks again for your help guys.

I went along and set up an account/ordered a debit card today. Does anyone know how long it takes to get to you? The people at the bank said they will call me!

Reason being, I REALLY need it in about 10 days time!!!
10 days should be long enough. I set up an account on Saturday morning and recieved my activation code in mail today. And it says on the letter I should get my card + pin no. (mailed seperately) in few days (I didnt do pick up..couldnt be bothered).

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i have teachers credit union visa debit... it's pretty mmmk

my only issue is it lets me overdraw so i pretty much can spend money i don't have and then half my pay (or considering i only worked 2 days last week, ALL my pay) goes towards bringing it back up

gahh

turtleface

HSC
whats with all these fancy st george/visa debit cards? Don't people seem to have ordinary non visa debit cards anymore?

Or maybe its a NSW thing. In VIC I think half the uni has like Commonwealth Bank Streamline Accounts with a Teal Key card

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Get a St george visa(multiaccess card)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
doingHSC said:
10 days should be long enough. I set up an account on Saturday morning and recieved my activation code in mail today. And it says on the letter I should get my card + pin no. (mailed seperately) in few days (I didnt do pick up..couldnt be bothered).
Yeh there's like 3 or 4 envelopes which come over the week or two. 10 days should be sufficient- but make sure you try it out before you use it!

bustinjustin

HSC
turtleface said:
whats with all these fancy st george/visa debit cards? Don't people seem to have ordinary non visa debit cards anymore?

Or maybe its a NSW thing. In VIC I think half the uni has like Commonwealth Bank Streamline Accounts with a Teal Key card
The Visa debit cards are different in that the card can be used like a credit card , but you spend your own money rather than the bank's, so with this you're able to buy and shop for things you'd normally need a credit card for with your own money instead (e.g: online and er, TV shopping)

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
I was going to get a StGeorge MultiAccess card (haha reminds me of Fifth Element ever time.. MULTIPASSSS) and yeh I needed an account for work (for pay and stuff, but pretty sure I shut my account with Commonwealth) and so I had to open an account tonight!!

but StGeorgggge were closed :/ so I opened one with the CreditUnion or something and it took the teller woman about 5 seconds to convince me to get a Debit Visa Card thingo and she said I should have it like within 2 weeks..

awesome, in heaps of time for my trip to Hong Kong :cool::cool:

ps the good thing with debit visas is as bustinjustin said (but in really confusing wording..) that you have all the advantages of a credit card and a normal card - being able to shop online, being able to select credit when shopping (there is a difference i swear, the woman explained, i think the fees are different depending on if its used like a debit or a credit card), but you dont have the temptation to spend what you dont have, because you cant (well the lady said you can but not excessively)!! so you won't rack up the debt as you could do with a credit card (i know i would accidently by not realising my debt)

so yeh theyre pretty hot. i cant wait to buy some threadless teer/other funky stuff off the net. yeehaw!!

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
bustinjustin said:
The Visa debit cards are different in that the card can be used like a credit card , but you spend your own money rather than the bank's, so with this you're able to buy and shop for things you'd normally need a credit card for with your own money instead (e.g: online and er, TV shopping)
jebbie said:
ps the good thing with debit visas is as bustinjustin said (but in really confusing wording..) that you have all the advantages of a credit card and a normal card - being able to shop online, being able to select credit when shopping (there is a difference i swear, the woman explained, i think the fees are different depending on if its used like a debit or a credit card), but you dont have the temptation to spend what you dont have, because you cant (well the lady said you can but not excessively)!! so you won't rack up the debt as you could do with a credit card (i know i would accidently by not realising my debt)
Oh!

thanks for the clarification. I see what you all mean now

doingHSC

HSC
hey just couple of questions for st.george visa debit card,
does checking ur account balance on internet banking classify as a fee-free transaction?
and how do u check how much fee-free transactions you've used/got left? not that im going over, just curious

thanks

doingHSC

HSC
Phone and Internet Banking means:
• Phone Banking transfer withdrawals
(includes BPAY transactions).
• Internet transfer withdrawals (includes
BPAY transactions).
nice dont think it does :)

doingHSC

HSC
“Phone and Internet Banking”
means any service we offer
from time to time through a
communication network (including
telephone and the Internet) to
enable you to receive information
from us and to transmit
instructions to us electronically,
in relation to an Account or other
matters we specify;
ah crap, they've got 2 definitions

lala2

Banned
HSC
With debit cards, I'm with NAB and my debit card is due to expire in February next year--do they automatically give you an exact replacement? Or will you need to reapply for one? I got my debit card way back in 2005 when there wasn't a Visa Debit card program I think, so I'm just wondering whether they'll give me a debit card just like my old one or get a Visa Debit one instead.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
lala2 said:
With debit cards, I'm with NAB and my debit card is due to expire in February next year--do they automatically give you an exact replacement? Or will you need to reapply for one? I got my debit card way back in 2005 when there wasn't a Visa Debit card program I think, so I'm just wondering whether they'll give me a debit card just like my old one or get a Visa Debit one instead.
They'll send you a normal debit card. You have to apply separately for a Visa debit card because Visa has its own requirements or something that it has to check. Talk to someone at a branch about it.

Generator

HSC
N/A
alita said:
I want to get a visa debit card. At the moment I have a teal coloured commonwealth bank debit card. Does commonwealth bank have a visa debit card as well? Does it have any fees?

---

*bump*
Get ready for it...

Now, what follows may seem difficult, but believe me, it really is quite easy.

1. go to google.
2. enter "commonwealth bank"
3. Go from there.

Wow! Who would have thought?! Easy peasy!

Next time don't wait two weeks for a response when the answer is just a couple of clicks away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)