Decision time! (1 Viewer)

Yasser Arafat

Banned
HSC
N/A
they are all very good cars with very similar prices safety and features! pick one that you like the look of and is comfortable

or

just get an 2001-2008 corolla

rozymisty

HSC
Ok so ive got it down to 2 cars.

I was very very close to putting a deposit down on a 08 Corolla. Then i found a 08 barina.

Comparision

Barina:
08 model, TK MY09.
GOOD POINTS: Its got ABS, audio controls. good size boot. its only got 8 300km on the dial coz it was a GM corporate car. Its got side air bags in the seat. maybe a bit easier to see out of.

BAD POINTS: I felt it took longer to respond to braking. The boot didnt seem to open properly when we finished the test drive lol. It doesnt have blue tooth or a 6 stack cd player or cruise control which the corolla did. Looks a bit old. Rego is only until May. They do servicing every 12months /15 000 km and its about 250, but thats not fixed price. Doesnt have a lever to make the seat higher. It doesnt have a light in the sunshield thing or a lot of storage. Seats dont fold down completely.

PRICE: 15990 reduced from 17990

Corolla
08 Model, Ascent
GOOD POINTS: ABS, cruise control, 6 stacker. Got a sunnies storer thing in the roof, bluetooth....roadside assistance. Very good amount of boot space, lots of storage areas. Seats fold down completely flat.

BAD POINTS: Slightly harder to see out of the back, but got wider mirrors to accomodate that. Its got 53 080 km on it and it was a ex government car.

PRICE: 16990.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh avoid the Barina at all costs. Unproven reliability. Shit resale. And questionable safety credentials- the current model with extra airbags and whatnot was a bandaid solution to horrible press about the new Korean (aka daewoo rebadge) model which basically said that the new Barina had a very bad safety rating with a risk of fatality.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'd go the Corolla but are you sure it's worth that much with that much mileage on it already? Maybe I just got extremely lucky but the original asking price for my 5 door Toyota Yaris (2007) with 12,000kms on it was $14,500.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ I don't think that's ver helpful for the TC.

Seriously keep looking, search online, or whatever. Just avoid the Barina. You're better off buying a 10 year old German car than that in terms of safety.

rozymisty

HSC
Yeah didnt bother going back about the Barina

Signed a contract for a late 07 corolla which has tint windows, cruise control, 6stack, audio cotnrols.

And then when i was paying the deposit, was like oh fuck does that have ABS and EBD? And i dont think it does......FUCK!!!

The 08 model they had wwas similar kms, had a few bumps in back for $16990 but was an ex rental car. The other 08 one in the colour i wanted was for $17550 and was a ex rental as well, and on the website says that its got ABS and EBD and brake assist.

My brother knows a bit about cars and i rang him and he said city driving it should be fine without it.

Just wish i had dam well asked about the ABS rather than paying the extra for stupid things which arent going to save my life.......

rozymisty

HSC
God this thing about the ABS has got me worried.

Do you think its essential?

Can i get out of the contract? or at least swap to the 08 that has the ABS.

Coz now im worried that without getting the RACQ inspection coz the car yard has a mechanical inspetion already.

God now im worried coz its a lot of money.....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah didnt bother going back about the Barina

Signed a contract for a late 07 corolla which has tint windows, cruise control, 6stack, audio cotnrols.

And then when i was paying the deposit, was like oh fuck does that have ABS and EBD? And i dont think it does......FUCK!!!

The 08 model they had wwas similar kms, had a few bumps in back for $16990 but was an ex rental car. The other 08 one in the colour i wanted was for $17550 and was a ex rental as well, and on the website says that its got ABS and EBD and brake assist.

My brother knows a bit about cars and i rang him and he said city driving it should be fine without it.

Just wish i had dam well asked about the ABS rather than paying the extra for stupid things which arent going to save my life.......
Typically most cars have ABS from the past few years but according to Redbook, it depends what trim level of Corolla from 2007 you purchased (e.g. was it the Ascent, Ascent Sport, Conquest or Levin?). From what I can tell, Conquest and Levin featured it as standard however it was an option on the Ascent and Ascent Sport.

I am a firm believer/supporter of ABS. Having driven cars with and without, I really can see how it's a core feature which is a MUST HAVE. It will save your bacon numerous times and the money you save from not having small front-on collisions will probably cover the price difference.

ps. Refer to Car Prices - Search Car Prices & Values - Red Book

rozymisty

HSC
So you reckon try and break the contract and get the model with ABS, rather than get the one with the extra features.

Its the Ascent that ive got the contract for. I think its the upgrade one, but i know that its got EBD and brake assist....whats teh difference between those and ABS?

Coz i thought if you have EBD and BA they'd go together with the ABS???

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I would've thought that all corollas had ABS, particularly the most recent ones? Basically, it means if you stamp on the brake as hard as you can the wheels won't actually stop moving unless the car stops. MASSIVE plus - if you lock the back wheels the car will sort of drift to one side, and if you lock the front wheels you lose the ability to steer.

I've only needed it twice in 3 years of driving, both were when people had run out in front of my car. I'm with seremify on this one, you definitely want it where you can get it, and likewise wouldn't buy a car without it.

Last edited:

rozymisty

HSC
ok, well some of the car ads ive seen have said its got ABS listed but other ads, like mine didnt. Sadly the ad for mine has been taken off the dealers website, so I cant double check.

Grr have to wait till tomorrow now to find out.

God why didnt i dam well double check earlier!!!

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Just because it's not in the ad doesn't mean it doesn't have it. No doubt it doesn't advertise that is has a spare tire or a petrol cap either.

How many Ks does it have on it? Why didn't you get an independent inspection? You're not very good at cars.

Also your brother is dumb you need it just as much if not more in the city.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Guys, let's be careful before we confirm whether ABS is standard or not in the 2007 Corolla specified above. I'm basing my comment on which trim levels in the 2007 range have it from Car Prices - Search Car Prices & Values Online - Red Book which specifies the different trim levels. I think this is the safest way to confirm it as opposed to relying on reviews which may not specify which trim level and optional extras were fitted.

As for the remarks above, anti-lock braking system ('ABS') basically allows you to drive 'intuitively'. That is, when you need to brake suddenly, you slam your foot on the brake, and then the car stops. If the car didn't have ABS, the act of slamming your foot on the brake pedal would cause the brakes to 'lock up' (i.e. your car still keeps moving and carries momentum whilst the brakes are grabbing the brake disc and no longer spinning; i.e. the wheels/tyres are no longer gripping the road). Brake assist ('BA') in short compensates for when you slam your foot on the brake but not hard enough- the car recognises you meant to brake 100% and applies pressure for you. Finally, electronic brake-force distribution ('EBD') is supposed to recognise when the brake force is better sent to different brakes at varying degrees (i.e. the computer can tell each brake to brake to a different % based on terrain/environment/conditions/etc).

Note the thing which surprises me is that usually EBD/BA are only available on cars which feature ABS... so I'm inclined to think the Corolla must have ABS if it has these features but I can't guarantee it. Best to ask the seller.

Last edited:

rozymisty

HSC
I was going to get an RACQ inspection but they already do a more thorough one apparently. Its a big company im getting it through. Yes i konw i prob shouldve, but the car guy kept saying they dont get them often coz they already do the 100 point mechanical check anyway and offer a free 3yr mechanical warranty anyway

Im just hoping now that its not going to come back and bite me on the arse.

The car is a 07/07, but it was registered in 10/07, and so i got the new car warranty until September.

Its done now 53 889km on the dial, which I guess is an ok reading for a 3yr old car, compared to the 08 ones they had with 52 on the clock...the one i looked at was an AVIS car hence the high mileage. Well people i talk to reckon you do about 10-25 a year anyway.

Weird thing is about the ABS is that my friend has a 02 conquest and its got ABS. And yeah I had assumed that if you got BA and EBD you'd have ABS as well.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I was going to get an RACQ inspection but they already do a more thorough one apparently. Its a big company im getting it through. Yes i konw i prob shouldve, but the car guy kept saying they dont get them often coz they already do the 100 point mechanical check anyway and offer a free 3yr mechanical warranty anyway

Im just hoping now that its not going to come back and bite me on the arse.

The car is a 07/07, but it was registered in 10/07, and so i got the new car warranty until September.

Its done now 53 889km on the dial, which I guess is an ok reading for a 3yr old car, compared to the 08 ones they had with 52 on the clock...the one i looked at was an AVIS car hence the high mileage. Well people i talk to reckon you do about 10-25 a year anyway.

Weird thing is about the ABS is that my friend has a 02 conquest and its got ABS. And yeah I had assumed that if you got BA and EBD you'd have ABS as well.
Fingers crossed it does have it- I mean, by all means it should, but only the seller can guarantee it. Since it sounds like you are buying from a reputable dealer, it doesn't hurt to ask now. Typically you should be able to see an amber coloured light come on in your dash marked "ABS" when turning on the ignition if it is present (try turning your car key but not starting the engine; this will keep the dash fully lit up)... Another idea would be to get the VIN (the vehicle identification number) and call Toyota customer support (or even your warranty guys) to ask them.

In conclusion, if it does have it, great, if not, don't brake too hard in emergency situations.

On the plus side, at least your Corolla will still maintain it's value with it's rock solid reliability and it'll still be considerably safer than a lot of other cars you could've ended up with. Hope you enjoy it and it all goes well!

ps. If you are still looking for more detail on ABS, refer to ABS Frequently Asked Questions for a bit of background on how it works, etc...

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You are in QLD?

There's a cooling off period of 1 business day, not including sundays, on all contracts signed with car dealers in QLD.

Can I cancel the contract when I bought from a used car dealer?

You may cancel an agreement with a licensed dealer during the cooling off period of one full business day.

A business day cannot be a Sunday or a public holiday. A cooling off period will usually expire at the close of business on the following business day. If the dealer is not open for a full day on the following day, then the cooling off period expires on the close of business on the day after.

You may not cancel the agreement if you have taken possession of the car within that time for any reason other than a test drive or an inspection of the car.

The cancellation must be in writing.

The dealer may retain a deposit of up to $100.

The used car dealer may not sell a car offered as a trade-in until the end of the cooling off period.
So if you decide you don't want the car, you should have no trouble getting out of the contract if you are in QLD and you act tomorrow.

Buying a car

In NSW you probably won't be able to get out of the contract.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You are in QLD?

There's a cooling off period of 1 business day, not including sundays, on all contracts signed with car dealers in QLD.

So if you decide you don't want the car, you should have no trouble getting out of the contract if you are in QLD and you act tomorrow.

Buying a car

In NSW you probably won't be able to get out of the contract.
Very good point you raised- I remember reading about this on forums before.

For NSW, the rules are a bit different and depend on other factors. To prevent misunderstanding I will simply reference the NSW Office of Fair Trading website;

There is a 'cooling-off period' that applies if you purchase a car from a dealership and the dealership:

arranges your loan for the car, or
supplies application forms for, or a referral to, a credit provider. This is called a linked credit arrangement.
Under these circumstances only, there is a 'cooling-off period' giving you 1 day to change your mind. The cooling off period begins when the contract is entered into and generally closes at 5pm on the next day that the dealer is open for business.

Note that the cooling off period does not apply to motor cycle purchases.

During the cooling off period the purchaser can cancel the contract by signed, written notice given to the dealer. The purchaser will be liable to pay the dealer $250, or 2% of the purchase price, whichever is the lesser amount.
URL: Before you buy a car - NSW Office of Fair Trading

On another note, if you are interested in reading about your rights as a purchaser of a used vehicle I recommend reading the Fair Trading website @ http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/About_us/Publications/Shopping_and_credit/ftc07buyingausedcar.html . It seems quite useful to be armed with this knowledge!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)