Degree in History (1 Viewer)

not.addie

HSC
Hi,
I was wondering if there is an degree, where I would be able to either minor or major in British History? I've already looked at all the Arts degrees but I haven't really found anything.
I'm starting to wonder if such a thing even exists...

X

xeuyrawp

not.addie said:
Hi,
I was wondering if there is an degree, where I would be able to either minor or major in British History? I've already looked at all the Arts degrees but I haven't really found anything.
Heya,

No not really; usually majors around history are divided into modern / ancient history, or just history generally.

You'll find that some unis which have decent history programs might have majors in more specific things (Macquarie for example has majors in World History, Egyptology, Australian History, etc, ANU has majors in Classical History, anthropology, archaeology, etc etc), but most don't make as fine distinctions simply because their history programs aren't as bulky.

What area specifically of British history are you interested in? Have you gone to any of the Open Days? Have you looked at any unis in particular?

lionking1191

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Heya,

No not really; usually majors around history are divided into modern / ancient history, or just history generally.

You'll find that some unis which have decent history programs might have majors in more specific things (Macquarie for example has majors in World History, Egyptology, Australian History, etc, ANU has majors in Classical History, anthropology, archaeology, etc etc), but most don't make as fine distinctions simply because their history programs aren't as bulky.

What area specifically of British history are you interested in? Have you gone to any of the Open Days? Have you looked at any unis in particular?
im pretty sure unsw arts at least has more options including asian histories and the such. check out the uni handbook

not.addie

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Heya,

Yeah, I noticed with that the uni's- especially macq- have such a huge variety of majors but none of them really focus on what i want to do. One course in macq that might have something to do with it, is the Coming of Modernity: Europe Since 1550, and the Medieval World: Europe to 1550.
I find all B. History interesting, but specifically; the Reformations and the rule under George IV. The bad thing is that I was interstate during the macq open day, but I did go to Sydney...and didn't really find anything :S.
I found this perfect course...but it was in the UK. Well, shit.

X

xeuyrawp

lionking1191 said:
im pretty sure unsw arts at least has more options including asian histories and the such. check out the uni handbook
As per my post, UNSW offers what I'd call a 'decent history program'. If you want to make a comprehensive list of who does and doesn't offer said majors, be my guest. If my memory serves me correctly, UNSW offers three relevant majors: World History, Transnational History, and European History.

not.addie said:
Yeah, I noticed with that the uni's- especially macq- have such a huge variety of majors but none of them really focus on what i want to do. One course in macq that might have something to do with it, is the Coming of Modernity: Europe Since 1550, and the Medieval World: Europe to 1550.
I find all B. History interesting, but specifically; the Reformations and the rule under George IV. The bad thing is that I was interstate during the macq open day, but I did go to Sydney...and didn't really find anything :S.
Yeah Macquarie has got a few significant people when it comes to colonial history, but to be honest I'm not that familiar with it enough.

To be honest, I don't want to mentor you from possibly hundreds of kilometres away, but your area of interest is very specific. There are two problems with this: Firstly, as you've discovered, you probably won't be able to study just what you want as there's simply not many degrees in the world like it. Secondly, which you will discover once you get to uni, this specific area may not be for you.

With regards to the second point, this is why most unis offer general BAs in the first year for students, so they can try other things that they may like. At Macquarie in my first year, for example, only half of my subjects were Egyptology-related. One quarter wasn't even ancient history. In hindsight, I'm really glad this is the case because it allowed me to do some other awesome subjects which I otherwise would have thought were crap.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
not.addie said:
Hi,
You can focus on European History at UNSW, but not British. See:

http://www.arts.unsw.edu.au/ces/2007 program.html

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
not.addie said:
Funny that, british history in the UK....

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
The other thing is, most (I know there are exceptions, always) universities won't let you get that incredibly specific in undergrad. What you're probably best off doing is the closest to your interest you can find (for example European History), enjoy the broad range of subjects you can choose from, and you'll have to wait until honours/masters before you get to do it in the detail you appear to desire.

(That's if you're into further study, of course).

Also, I am jealous of people who know exactly what they want to study. I know I want to do honours and probably further study, but damned if I can actually pick. I want to do everything!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)