Demonstrating Magnetic Levitation Prac (1 Viewer)

Shire-miss

Can anyone give me info on this prac from Ideas to Implementation in the superconduction part?
'Perform an investigation to demonstrate magnetic levitation' or its something along those lines.....
How are we supposed to demonstrate it???

ReaveR

HSC
We got a scientist from CSIRO to come in and do it for us...I've got pictures somewhere if you want.

Basically just make the turn the compound into a superconductor by lowering it below supercritical temperature and put a small magnet on top. It'll float.

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
ive used the one in the jacaranda book...
pouring liquid nitogen into a styrofoam cup, place superconductor disc, levitate rare-earth magnet.

Rahul

Dead Member
yep we did the the liquid nitro+magnet one.

then smashed up fruit and other stuff with the rest of the nitro

Shoey

Our physics teacher did it himself.

Then we played with the liquid nitrogen. Looks really cool when tiny clumps of nitrogen goes running off the desk really quickly, but never quite reaches the floor.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Yeh... our teacher is an idiot...

He froze eggs and smashed them! It went all over the place!

Stupid ass! :rofl:

N

ND

I don't think you have to use a superconductor, it only says to demonstrate megnetic levitiation. You can just get a glass tube, drop a bar magnet in there, then drop another bar magnet down with the same poles togther.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
we did it.. but i couldn't really see what was happening... but i know that there was liquid nitro involved.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by ND
I don't think you have to use a superconductor, it only says to demonstrate megnetic levitiation. You can just get a glass tube, drop a bar magnet in there, then drop another bar magnet down with the same poles togther.
lol, we did a similar thing, but we didn't even have a glass tube :(
the teacher had to improvise

However, this doesn't really show the messiner effect

N

ND

Yeh but the dotpoint doesn't say anything about the meissner effect.

ghoolz

HSC
Our teacher tried to use a LARGE measuring cylinda with two rare earth magnets or it could have been that with onenormal bar magnet...anyway there was such a strong attraction forces on the opposite poles that the magnet flipped inside the tube smashing one of the big measuring cylinda's everywhere.

We also have a small thingy that has four small round dics type magnets with a hole drilled in each centre, they are on piece of wire that has been bent to form an arch and they repel off each other. Thats the way we have done it.

We did have some liquid nitrogen but the junior years used it all and we didn't have any superconducting material.

Off the school now for a study session just on all the pracs ... the teacher should be setting them up know.

tegs

HA, like our school could afford to do any of those superconductivity tests!
We are so poor, they said they didn't have money to buy new basketballs for the 1sts.
I wish I was in sydney...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)