Demotivated. (1 Viewer)

ShadowLighte

HSC
It's not even really demotivated, it's more like not really caring anymore? I did not think it would happen to me- that's what everyone says though. When one of my teachers spoke about how stressful the HSC can be for most people I brushed it off as nothing I couldn't handle because I don't exactly live a carefree life.

Anyway, this is the first time it's really gotten to the point that I'm concerned about my future. Prior to this, sure, I have been too lazy to study and left homework and even assessments to the last minute (provided that I had everything planned beforehand) and I know I'm not the only one. But nowadays, actually the past few weeks, I feel like there's so much weight on my shoulders and it's making me unable to move forward. I still do classwork and all and try to pay attention but I'm slacking off. I guess it doesn't help that the people around me are doing the same and pretty much just talk all lesson. It's gone to the point where in some classes I simply blank out for most of the lesson or watch the clock tick, unable to focus or not do the essays that my teachers plan for my own good. The disappointment in their voice when they announce to the class that 'some people' didn't do the work and tell me to stay back after class just seems to drag me down further.

I just don't feel at all motivated. Question to you guys: I'm sure I'm not the only one who's felt demotivated so if you could lend some of your tips to help combat this, that would be great. Half yearlies are soon and I'm not bothered to even learn the content, let alone study.

Last edited:

lindsay9691

HSC
half yearlys are this week for me and ive been feeling like this all term!, it sucks

Kymren

HSC
I'm right in the middle of my half yearly's and I feel the same. I've got 2U Maths and music (performance, oral and composition) tomorrow, and I'm just over it.
I find it so hard to concentrate in class and I have to force my self to do the bear minimum. sometimes I feel like going to sleep or just sit there watching the clock.
But I don't worry to much, because worrying doesn't really help. I force myself to do my summaries and my study, and eventually get it done. I find it harder as well because I did nothing last year, and I'm a bit behind.
You just have to gin and bear it.
Remember the HSC isn't the end of the world, there are other ways to get where you want to go, it's just a short cut! :smile:

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." :smile:

Elise8842

HSC
N/A
Totally understand your feeling, you seem to be an organized person when you are in your normal condition since you said you "had things planned beforehand"

So it's only recently you've been slacking off...have you ever considered that this is you way of procrastinating ? Because you brain tells you this time it's something really important, so it's your way of avoiding pressure ?

For me, sometimes, when it comes to a really really important date, or something I would deliberately slow down my pace of breakfast or dressing up ... And try to stay at home until the very last minute to dash out and run to the station ...

~

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
It's not even really demotivated, it's more like not really caring anymore? I did not think it would happen to me- that's what everyone says though. When one of my teachers spoke about how stressful the HSC can be for most people I brushed it off as nothing I couldn't handle because I don't exactly live a carefree life.

Anyway, this is the first time it's really gotten to the point that I'm concerned about my future. Prior to this, sure, I have been too lazy to study and left homework and even assessments to the last minute (provided that I had everything planned beforehand) and I know I'm not the only one. But nowadays, actually the past few weeks, I feel like there's so much weight on my shoulders and it's making me unable to move forward. I still do classwork and all and try to pay attention but I'm slacking off. I guess it doesn't help that the people around me are doing the same and pretty much just talk all lesson. It's gone to the point where in some classes I simply blank out for most of the lesson or watch the clock tick, unable to focus or not do the essays that my teachers plan for my own good. The disappointment in their voice when they announce to the class that 'some people' didn't do the work and tell me to stay back after class just seems to drag me down further.

I just don't feel at all motivated. Question to you guys: I'm sure I'm not the only one who's felt demotivated so if you could lend some of your tips to help combat this, that would be great. Half yearlies are soon and I'm not bothered to even learn the content, let alone study.
You have to understand why you are doing this.

You want to get in to the course you desire at the uni you want, give it 100% effort and you'll make it. You don't want to look back at your final year of schooling (past 12 years just to get here) and feel as if you didn't give it your best shot.

"When I got here I dominated. They thought I was working a hundred hours a day. Now, no matter what time I get in, nobody questions my ability to get the job done. Get it through your head, first impressions last. You start behind the eight ball, you'll never get in front." - Harvey Specter

ShadowLighte

HSC
Yeup, it does suck. I never really thought of it as a way to avoid pressure but I suppose it very well could be.

Okay, so the main reason -well it should be pretty much the only reason- we're doing the HSC is to get into the course that we want which will eventually lead us to the career that we desire. I don't have a desired uni or course or career. So essentially I'm at school 'just 'cause' it's what is recommended and so that 'i can get the highest mark possible to get into the best course available to me'. But what if I end up not wanting to do any of the courses? I feel like I'm one of the very few people who don't have what they're doing or where they're going in life. Life out of school freaks me out because I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like. Blank.

I mean, if I did want to go to a particular uni and get accepted into a course, that would motivate me to do well in order to get in but I have nothing to motivate me towards.

ShadowLighte

HSC
Maybe you should start thinking about what you are going to do in university then. After all, in the grand scheme of things, it actually is not that far away. Consider what areas you are interested in or what you would like to do in the future. Surely there must be something that interests, impassions or inspires you.

As for thinking that you are one of the very few individuals who don't know where they are going in life, I have heard that a countless amount of times from other people who have also approached me with the same problem. The lesson being here is: a lot of people don't know where they're going in life, especially at your age. Not everyone is going to know what they want to become in ten years time when they're 17 or 18, nor would they have had personal experiences to enrich such an ambition. And that's okay.

But believe me when I say you're really not in the minority. More like the majority. Just because most individuals end up selecting some specific course for university does not mean they actually know where they're going with it.
Okay, let me rephrase it then- one of the few people who have absolutely no idea in where they're headed. Pretty much everyone that I know of knows what they're going to do, what career they're aiming for- even if it's just for the next 5 or 10 years. I mean, at least it's something y'know? I know that it isn't concrete but just for the time being.

"Maybe I should start thinking about what I want to do in uni", haha I have. For the longest time. And I'm starting to freak out because I need to apply for a course soon. Alright so I suppose there are ideas but they're pretty different from each other. I want to do counselling and be a school counsellor or some kind of therapist and help people with the mental/ emotional issues (which I find funny coming from me) but I don't think I'd be able to handle it only because I'd probably get attached to the people I try to help which isn't a good thing. If volunteer work was paid and I could somehow make a career out of it, I'd definitely do it. It would be the first thing I do. I want to help people directly and for those who need it most. Something humanitarian. On the other hand, I like the idea of being a librarian because of the environment of libraries is appealing to me and I love reading but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'd do well as a librarian. I also want to work with animals too but not a vet because I'm squirmish and I'd be devastated if I'd tried to help an animal but couldn't save it or did something wrong.

-sighs- I guess there kind of is correlation between them all. They're not totally different like wanting to work in politics and being a dancer or something LOL And then the questions goes on to thinking about income and employment. I honestly don't want luxury which may sound ridiculous to some (like my parents) but just want to live a simple, comfortable life with a cat and small library without too much worry. That's probably my dream as simple as it sounds. Nothing fancy schmancy like wanting a boat or to travel the world and go on holidays to foreign places.

Last edited:

MasterEnglish

HSC

My friend, you need to build up your own determination. Watch some motivational videos, make some goals. Remember what frightens us most is not that we can't achieve something, it's how much potential we as human beings have to achieve. Also think about the millions of kids around the world who dream of having the opportunity you have now. Check this out-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmVOuLgFB0

You can do it. :jedi: As a Human being, your potential is so vast that it can not be measured.

britaker

HSC
Dude I'm sure it's fairly normal to feel demotivated at this stage...I know I did, my half yearlies were last week and it honestly took so much God dang effort to study at all.
With that said, it may be useful to just remember this is it, and we've got less than 8 months to go until the end!! :D idk that usually works amazingly well on me. :lol:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Surely, the fear of not getting into your preferred uni course is enough motivation? Imagine the moment when you begin regretting having spent your last 12 years of education only to not get into your course. If this isn't the case, really have a deep look and realign your goals, you are probably aiming to enter into a course that wouldn't suit you. Sure you could be the smartest kid in the state, but if you enter into a profession with a lack of passion/interest, I wish you luck with your rather bleak future, that you won't enjoy.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I think you need to think about the root of the reason as to why you're doing the HSC (not because its like a legal thing, but more intrinsic) and what you want out of it. Ask yourself, why do I want to do well in the HSC? (I know it's obvious at times, but its really important to ask yourself these questions so you can get down to the real reasoning as to why you want to do well) Is it because you have potential you can fulfil and you want to see that potential filled as a milestone in your life? Disregard your extrinsic factors, i.e. parents, school, societal pressure, and look within yourself to find a really good reason to do well for the HSC, and use that as motivation for the year.

I have briefly skimmed in your above posts and even though you don't have any clear goals for the future, use HSC as an opportunity to widen these doors for yourself, and think, ok well if I get X ATAR, I have so and so opportunities I can pursue, whilst I'm still trying to figure things out. I really recommend you go to open days, talk to career advisors and go to info nights about career paths that tickle your fancy. That way you can narrow things down, cut things out or expand on further opportunities as to what you want to do after school. You may not even want to go to university, and instead, do diplomas, etc., at TAFE or college.

Look at your hobbies and passions and look at what career paths can come from that. I've watched a lot of Ted Talks recently and there's all these amazing and innovative people who didn't pursue the traditional pathway and still end up successful by doing things they're genuinely passionate about. Honestly, if you've got a will, you've got a way and I hope you can find it within yourself to find your passion and intrinsic motivation, because those things will keep you going for this year :) Best of luck!

asdfghjklmz

HSC
I have a test tomorrow and I'm so not bothered
History just ain't my thing

fatassmcfat

HSC
I think maybe you dont feel motivated cause you feel like your efforts wont be appreciated e.g. the stinky teacher in class always picks on you for not doing homework. Since you talked about the humanitarian jobs I think you really value/like humans and relationships so even though normally you are meant to 'study for yourself' its actually easier to do work when you are doing it to help someone else or to gain their appreciation etc....especially since you also dont want to live in luxury so I think youre searching for a selfless and meaningful reason for studying other than stereotypical blah blah get a job earn a million dollars a year.......So You can perhaps study to make your teachers proud, to show you value what they are doing, like just walk into class and force yourself to spend the entire lesson paying attention, not talking and doing your work. I bet your teacher will notice and when you feel the appreciation you become more motivated to work hard. Or try to see studying as a way of helping/tutoring your friends, since HSC is about your entire school grade (theres a nice quote by Rumi 'Try to be the least in need for simply doing that is giving). And of course, like you said you want to help people and do humanitarian things, just always remember that it is only a matter of studying a few hours a day or forcing yourself to concentrate a bit that might end up saving peoples lifes....would you want to attribute mere laziness or lack of motivation to something as beautiful as that? (sorry if that sounds harsh but that is the way I think of it myself)

ANYWAY GOODLUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) bye

fatassmcfat

HSC
I think maybe you dont feel motivated cause you feel like your efforts wont be appreciated e.g. the stinky teacher in class always picks on you for not doing homework. Since you talked about the humanitarian jobs I think you really value/like humans and relationships so even though normally you are meant to 'study for yourself' its actually easier to do work when you are doing it to help someone else or to gain their appreciation etc....especially since you also dont want to live in luxury so I think youre searching for a selfless and meaningful reason for studying other than stereotypical blah blah get a job earn a million dollars a year.......So You can perhaps study to make your teachers proud, to show you value what they are doing, like just walk into class and force yourself to spend the entire lesson paying attention, not talking and doing your work. I bet your teacher will notice and when you feel the appreciation you become more motivated to work hard. Or try to see studying as a way of helping/tutoring your friends, since HSC is about your entire school grade (theres a nice quote by Rumi 'Try to be the least in need for simply doing that is giving). And of course, like you said you want to help people and do humanitarian things, just always remember that it is only a matter of studying a few hours a day or forcing yourself to concentrate a bit that might end up saving peoples lifes....would you want to attribute mere laziness or lack of motivation to something as beautiful as that? (sorry if that sounds harsh but that is the way I think of it myself)

ANYWAY GOODLUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) bye

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Please do not give up, I was heart broken when one of my friends decided to give up at the last stretch of her HSC, she couldn't cope with the stress and like you, felt extremely demotivated and subsequently her options have become extremely limited. Always remember this, if you are too tired or feel burn out, remove yourself from study workload and talk to someone you trust about your problems-and then objectively make a schedule to complete these tasks in small, manageable chunks. Don't overwhelm yourself and please never give up-the HSC opens many doors for you, although it may not be the only way to open these doors, it is often the easiest way:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)