Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

Ashabella

HSC
thank you so much, ill tell you how it goes whenever i end up going, lets just hope i dont try to avoid it like i have been for a while
oh and i just remembered, for anyone reading i found a really calming way to deal with bottled up emotions is to get a small diary or notepad, carry it with you everywhere with a pen, and whenever you need to, just sit down and write in it for a long time without stopping, saying whatever comes to your mind. it might be painful, but the feeling when you finally have nothing else to say is the most amazing feeling ever. when you feel ready, you can read back to yourself what youve written, or even show it to someone close to you, as its a way of letting it go and accepting how you feel. i did all of this and i found it really helped, though it seems im at the stage where i would benefit more from letting it all out to an actual person, a professional like a counsellor
so yeah, hope that helped anyone out there like me, and sorry for writing another essay length response again haha
thanks again ashabella, i dont even know you but you already mean alot to me

hmm yeah the writing thing can help a lot. I agree though, sometimes it gets to a point where you need a bit more than that. Sometimes it might be best to use both writing down how you feel, in conjunction with the support from those around you.

Hey, can I ask you a question? Have I seemed fake at all to you? Please be honest...

And yes, please do let us know how it goes! When are you planning on doing it?

Ash

Ashabella

HSC
Let me give you some tips to cope with depression:

- Get involved in some school & community activities so that you can feel more "valued".
- Be active and become more busy in life (but don't over-work yourself)
- Consult with teachers/parents/counsellors/etc, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE THIS CAN MAKE
- Make a priority list, be ahead of your work. Control your HSC, don't ever let it control you
- Get help from teachers/parents, HSC is a teamwork - triple alliance i call this - teachers, you and your parents.
All great advice - thanks!

I like what you said: "Control your HSC, don't ever let it control you"

That's an awesome way of looking at it. I'd never thought about that before.

Thanks again :)

ya face

HSC

hmm yeah the writing thing can help a lot. I agree though, sometimes it gets to a point where you need a bit more than that. Sometimes it might be best to use both writing down how you feel, in conjunction with the support from those around you.

Hey, can I ask you a question? Have I seemed fake at all to you? Please be honest...

And yes, please do let us know how it goes! When are you planning on doing it?

Ash
in full honesty, to me you seem as genuine and good hearted as anything
i dont know what that guy was talking about, saying you were being cheesy or whatever, because i know you arent, and you are just giving people the oppurtunity to share advice on a common topic like this
oh and i dont really know when im going.. after my second last half yearly me and my best friend wandered up to the admin office and he took a look at when the counsellors were available and i just felt so instantly terrified and hesitant about it, its going to be really hard at first when i actually do go.. i have no idea what will happen
but yeah anyway, one more thing, just so you dont associate me with the very mature nickname of 'ya face' (oh snap), my name is tim

Ashabella

HSC
in full honesty, to me you seem as genuine and good hearted as anything
i dont know what that guy was talking about, saying you were being cheesy or whatever, because i know you arent, and you are just giving people the oppurtunity to share advice on a common topic like this
oh and i dont really know when im going.. after my second last half yearly me and my best friend wandered up to the admin office and he took a look at when the counsellors were available and i just felt so instantly terrified and hesitant about it, its going to be really hard at first when i actually do go.. i have no idea what will happen
but yeah anyway, one more thing, just so you dont associate me with the very mature nickname of 'ya face' (oh snap), my name is tim
hahaha cool... i'm glad I know your name now. And yes, Ya Face is an extremely mature nick name.

Hmm yeah, it's pretty normal to feel scared. And to literally feel the fear rush through your body. But good news... the hardest part is getting yourself to the counsellors office, not the actual meeting with the counsellor. You just have to try and push on through the fear. Don't stand there trying to think of 'what to say' when you get in there, because you'll just make yourself more nervous. The counsellor will understand if you find it hard to voice what's going on, and they have strategies that they'll probably use to make it more comfortable for you. And the more you do it, the easier it gets. The 1st time is always the hardest, but it only gets easier from there, Tim... trust me.

I'm glad your friend is sticking to the plan. Hopefully he'll be able to keep you motivated to stick with it too.

Why don't you plan to go and see a counsellor after you've finished your exam week?

Just set yourself a day and stick to it. Wake up in the morning on that day and promise yourself that no matter how scared you are, you're going to do it, because you need to. And please remember that it's not as scary as it feels when your standing out in the office waiting to meet him/her for the first time. I swear, it's not. xo

sarahaussiegirl

HSC
If you're mentally weak and inadequate you may let depression invade your life. But that's not me.
That is a terrible thing to say! Mental illness is not a weakness you silly ignorant person! Mental illness affects so many people and although it may be brought on by stress or a particular event or can happen for no reason at all. It is not their fault, often it is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and how you react to certain situations.

Some of the smartest people in history have suffered from Bipolar and other mental illnesses, it is NOT a reflection on your ability nor intellect

The thing I have found most people is to have a back up plan. Yes I want to get into Arts or Commerce/ Law, but I know that is probably not going to happen and I know that it is honestly not worth killing myself or extending myself to the extent that I am exhausted and burnt out. So I think if all else fails UWS has arts with a 70 UAI. It is so easy to transfer to different courses. Yes, you should to an extent be a little stressed, but think of all the good people and the good things in the world. Ash has done a fabulous thing by starting this thread and I applaude your efforts.

Another little tip, especially if you are close to tears before you start an exam, I find it is best, *not even joking this helps* is to take a huge breath and as you exhale count slowly to 5, and then the next breath to 6 and so on. It will help to slow your heart rate and concentrate more effectively.

*excuse the length, I got excited and am passionate about this stuff too*

good luck everyone.

Ashabella

HSC
If you're mentally weak and inadequate you may let depression invade your life. But that's not me.
Errr.... sorry, but that's not how depression works.

You don't get it because you're mentally inadequate, you get it either as a response to a stressful situation, or through your genetics. Or a combination of both.

Even though it affects how you feel, it's a physical thing. It's all to do with brain chemisty.

I hope you never have to get it either mate, but I don't think you can go around proclaiming that you are able to avoid an illness simply if you decide you don't want it. If that were possible, then I think you would probably win the nobel prize.

To be honest, I guess i'm wondering if maybe you're actually a bit worried that you might have developed depression? I know that seems like a funny thing to ask, but often trying to deny that it exists can be a reflection of denying feelings of depression in yourself. I could be totally wrong though. And you are probably just going to write me off for asking, but if you want to talk about anything, talk about it. You welcome to on this thread, and i'm also cool it you PM me.

Ash

clo-ree

HSC
I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety in year 10 so I have medication to help lower my anxiety and depresion levels. See a psychologist every fortnight and have special previsions for exams.

Ashabella

HSC
That is a terrible thing to say! Mental illness is not a weakness you silly ignorant person! Mental illness affects so many people and although it may be brought on by stress or a particular event or can happen for no reason at all. It is not their fault, often it is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and how you react to certain situations.

Some of the smartest people in history have suffered from Bipolar and other mental illnesses, it is NOT a reflection on your ability nor intellect

The thing I have found most people is to have a back up plan. Yes I want to get into Arts or Commerce/ Law, but I know that is probably not going to happen and I know that it is honestly not worth killing myself or extending myself to the extent that I am exhausted and burnt out. So I think if all else fails UWS has arts with a 70 UAI. It is so easy to transfer to different courses. Yes, you should to an extent be a little stressed, but think of all the good people and the good things in the world. Ash has done a fabulous thing by starting this thread and I applaude your efforts.

Another little tip, especially if you are close to tears before you start an exam, I find it is best, *not even joking this helps* is to take a huge breath and as you exhale count slowly to 5, and then the next breath to 6 and so on. It will help to slow your heart rate and concentrate more effectively.

*excuse the length, I got excited and am passionate about this stuff too*

good luck everyone.

That was well said. And the counting/breathing coping strategy. I'll be using that one for sure.

You're right. There's not point being hard on yourself and setting your expectations really high... that's not going to get you anywhere. There are other ways to do almost everything. It's really good you've got that in perspective.

Don't apologise about the length! Gee, how you seen how long some of my replies are? haha

I'm glad you're passionate about it too, by the way.

xo

Ashabella

HSC
I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety in year 10 so I have medication to help lower my anxiety and depresion levels. See a psychologist every fortnight and have special previsions for exams.
Awesome. Good job for getting the support. What kind of strategies do you implement in order to cope with it?

:)

clo-ree

HSC
I write the stuff that goes through my head down and attempt to do this mindfulness skills stuff.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
you 09ers are so serious, at least some of the people from 08 were fun

namu doesnt count since he is special

haha yer what you need to realise is that you arent the only person going through the hsc so just talk to someone and if all else fails get smashed :drink:

Ashabella

HSC
you 09ers are so serious, at least some of the people from 08 were fun

namu doesnt count since he is special

haha yer what you need to realise is that you arent the only person going through the hsc so just talk to someone and if all else fails get smashed :drink:

We're not all REALLY serious. I think we are just talking about something serious.

sarahaussiegirl

HSC
I have Post-traumattic stress disorder following an incident at school involving a lot of blood and hospitals. I have been seing a psychologist since then (year 7) but now just stick to my school counsellor, who has done wonders by the way. Every year, only on its anniversary, I become highly anxious and often struggle with panic attacks and stress and oh my, it is just awful with the flash backs and what have you. I also am bound to be depressed with almost everyone on both sides of the family sufferinig from one mental illness or another. I was really worried because this year I had an exam on the anniversary. I was so stressed adn anxious about having a panic attack in the middle of the exam. I didn't tell my teachers though but during the assembly right before I got so worked up and by the end I was shaking and I knew I was not in the right state of mind to do an exam. I went to my year coordinator who was so understanding. I was kept in the office and the staff room to calm down and I did the exam later that day, or I could have gone home and done it the following day.

Moral to the story: Never doubt the usefullness of school staff. They have seen it all before and I am sure there have been others in your school that have suffered from the same things so it honestly cannot hurt to tell them and figure out a plan of action.

huhwotsthis- if you are so bored, why bother commenting?

akrinis

HSC
why choose to be depressed
Are you joking me? People don't CHOOSE to be depressed. A combination of environmental factors go together to make a person depressed. I remember back when I was in my earlier junior years of HS. There were many family problems and a number of other factors and I wasn't coping well at school. I felt like no one understood how I felt, and I had to battle with depression for a long time, even before high school.

You shouldn't demean anyone who's depressed or gone through depression. We know how serious this is and many people have been victimized because of it.

The worst thing is that teachers don't understand, no matter how much they try or pretend to. They don't see how big of a deal it is. And not all depression is caused by the HSC. Family problems, relationship problems, image problems, lifestyle problems... the list goes on and on.

But then I spoke to my school counselor and people outside of school, called helplines and went away for a holiday just to clear my mind, and ever since year 10, everything's been going well for me. It helps to vent your feelings out with someone you can trust won't breach your confidentiality - and sometimes, some things are best not heard by friends.

I will say this; we can choose to come to terms with depression and beat it or at least learn to cope with it - because let's face it, many of us have been depressed at one point or another - but we can choose to let it control us. But no one chooses to be depressed; I want to make that point clear. Everyone wants to be and deserves to be living a happy life.

At the same time, I can recognize that it isn't as easy as most people say it is about controlling the depression - some things are out of our control, so we have to work and make the most of what we can.

Last edited:

Ashabella

HSC
Are you joking me? People don't CHOOSE to be depressed. A combination of environmental factors go together to make a person depressed. I remember back when I was in my earlier junior years of HS. There were many family problems and a number of other factors and I wasn't coping well at school. I felt like no one understood how I felt, and I had to battle with depression for a long time, even before high school.

You shouldn't demean anyone who's depressed or gone through depression. We know how serious this is and many people have been victimized because of it.

The worst thing is that teachers don't understand, no matter how much they try or pretend to. They don't see how big of a deal it is. And not all depression is caused by the HSC. Family problems, relationship problems, image problems, lifestyle problems... the list goes on and on.

But then I spoke to my school counselor and people outside of school, called helplines and went away for a holiday just to clear my mind, and ever since year 10, everything's been going well for me. It helps to vent your feelings out with someone you can trust won't breach your confidentiality - and sometimes, some things are best not heard by friends.

I will say this; we can choose to come to terms with depression and beat it or at least learn to cope with it - because let's face it, many of us have been depressed at one point or another - but we can choose to let it control us. But no one chooses to be depressed; I want to make that point clear. Everyone wants to be and deserves to be living a happy life.

At the same time, I can recognize that it isn't as easy as most people say it is about controlling the depression - some things are out of our control, so we have to work and make the most of what we can.

You expressed that so well that I don't even know what to say.

But i'm really glad you're feeling better.

ya face

HSC

mate, you're my inspiration

sarahaussiegirl

HSC
hey tell us about the incident
You want to hear how a science experiement went wrong? How a beaker exploded into millions of slithers, their remnants in my hair, eyelashes and eyebrows? You want to hear that everytime I hear a door slam or a big *bang* I can still hear everyone screaming? See the face of a girl that looked straight at me and screamed because I had blood all over my face from the lacerations caused by the glass? I had glass all over my face. Large bits of glass under my eye which was there for about 5 weeks because the doctors missed it and I could feel its sharp edges under my skin. I had a staff infection from my neck scar for which I still bear today. I had so many surgeries in an attempt to reduce scarring on that bloody thing and it still serves as a daily reminder of what happened. I blacked out. Had to help a friend of mine, the only other person left in the lab becuase she went temporarily deaf from the sound of the explosion. We ran out the door. Ten of us, plus the teacher who cut an atery in her arm were sent to hospital. People had glass in their eyes, one girl was instructed to hold the bunsen burner and continued to while it exploded and had to undergo massive surgery on her thumb that was partially removed.

If that is a mental weakness and if I am insane because I can literally feel the glass go into my face every year at 10.30am on the fourth of march. Then so be it. I refuse to make excuses for my condition. It is there, I just have learnt to cope with it. It is not my fault.

Ashabella

HSC
I have Post-traumattic stress disorder following an incident at school involving a lot of blood and hospitals. I have been seing a psychologist since then (year 7) but now just stick to my school counsellor, who has done wonders by the way. Every year, only on its anniversary, I become highly anxious and often struggle with panic attacks and stress and oh my, it is just awful with the flash backs and what have you. I also am bound to be depressed with almost everyone on both sides of the family sufferinig from one mental illness or another. I was really worried because this year I had an exam on the anniversary. I was so stressed adn anxious about having a panic attack in the middle of the exam. I didn't tell my teachers though but during the assembly right before I got so worked up and by the end I was shaking and I knew I was not in the right state of mind to do an exam. I went to my year coordinator who was so understanding. I was kept in the office and the staff room to calm down and I did the exam later that day, or I could have gone home and done it the following day.

Moral to the story: Never doubt the usefullness of school staff. They have seen it all before and I am sure there have been others in your school that have suffered from the same things so it honestly cannot hurt to tell them and figure out a plan of action.

huhwotsthis- if you are so bored, why bother commenting?

You're right school staff can be so helpful. Flashbacks sure aren't fun, that much is certain. It can be even worse when you start to panic about having a panic attack... certainly doesn't help.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, by the way.

Cheers,

Ash

Ashabella

HSC
You want to hear how a science experiement went wrong? How a beaker exploded into millions of slithers, their remnants in my hair, eyelashes and eyebrows? You want to hear that everytime I hear a door slam or a big *bang* I can still hear everyone screaming? See the face of a girl that looked straight at me and screamed because I had blood all over my face from the lacerations caused by the glass? I had glass all over my face. Large bits of glass under my eye which was there for about 5 weeks because the doctors missed it and I could feel its sharp edges under my skin. I had a staff infection from my neck scar for which I still bear today. I had so many surgeries in an attempt to reduce scarring on that bloody thing and it still serves as a daily reminder of what happened. I blacked out. Had to help a friend of mine, the only other person left in the lab becuase she went temporarily deaf from the sound of the explosion. We ran out the door. Ten of us, plus the teacher who cut an atery in her arm were sent to hospital. People had glass in their eyes, one girl was instructed to hold the bunsen burner and continued to while it exploded and had to undergo massive surgery on her thumb that was partially removed.

If that is a mental weakness and if I am insane because I can literally feel the glass go into my face every year at 10.30am on the fourth of march. Then so be it. I refuse to make excuses for my condition. It is there, I just have learnt to cope with it. It is not my fault.
That doesn't make you crazy at all. You're right, it's absolutely NOT your fault. I can't even imagine what that must have been like... fuck. I can totally understand why those memories would haunt you, in fact, i'd probably be confused if they didn't.

Don't listen to the people being rude on this thread. I'm sure you know as well as I do that they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

;)

xoxoxoxo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)