Devastating results in mathematics yearly exam... drop to general??? (1 Viewer)

Iccehy

HSC
What should i do?? I did really badly in the end of year mathematics exam in year 11!
I was going through a rough time during my exam week from stress i got from complicated family issues :( and it really showed in my maths mark. It is really upsetting because i know if I were'nt so stressed i would of done better.
This test really plummeted my confidence levels with maths and continuing the course...
My teacher recommended it would be easier if i do general maths.

The pros with general maths is it's easy and i would do better...
For mathematics it'll be challenging but it can help me get into uni courses...
So i need to consider whether i should challenge myself in mathematics or go for an easy option...

I struggled alot with understanding the concepts of trig, functions and relations and found quadratic polynomials and parabolas and locus
kinda challenging...
So are those topics pretty dominant in year 12 mathematics?

Please share your advice :)

brianchau3

HSC
Hi,

I would suggest that you stay with mathematics, simply because its just so hard to get a mark thats worthy of an atar in the HSC, I'd personally say that it would be better off trying in mathematics then just going through general mathematics, as I believe you'd be more motivated to go hard on mathematics. I'm doing accelerated mathematics, but not too great, but calculus is a pretty new topic in year 12, expect like 30-40% if not even 50% of your HSC mathematics to be integration and differentiation. As long as you have a good mindset to studying for maths, as it will be an upwards hill, you'll do fine in mathematics.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What were previous marks/ranks in assessments?
School rank? Previous cohorts performance in HSC?

However you will have to work/catch up on general mathematics preliminary course which you should be able to do...
Just a warning don't get too complacent/ not do any work or you'll end up like some of the people who dropped who were getting 70s but are now barely passing/getting the exact same marks...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)