Developments in understanding acid/base reactions (1 Viewer)

Heart.O.Gold

HSC
I have an assignment were one of the points is;

Trace developments in understanding and describing acid/base reactions
I understand that one point would be the (acid + base ---> salt + water) are there any other theories?

Who was the chemist who first describe it?

Thanks a bundle

~Give Peace A Chance~

Also- post if i didn't provide enough information about the assignment...

HSC
Maybe you could add in something about the scientists Bronsted-Lowry who discovered the relationship between an acid and its conjugate base and a base and its conjugate acid....

tristambrown

HSC
if u go by the sullabus it wants u to detail

lavoisier - "all acids contain oxygen"

davy "acids dont necessarily all contain oxygen "[he identified HCL's components i believe]

arrhenius "acids ionise in water to form H+ ions and bases ionise to form OH-ions"

Bronstead /Lowry "acids are proton donors bases/alkalis are proton acceptors & this action is dependant on what they are reacting with ... eg water can be an acid or a base - look up CO2 equilibrium"

ossephj

HSC
Yeh, the syllabus dotpoint asks you to TRACE DEVELOPMENTS, and they refer to the four scientists as mentioned above

one correction:

Davy- Proposed that acids contain REPLACABLE HYDROGEN, he noticed Lavoisier was wrong who claimed all acids contain oxygyen, which is false, as he identified HCl, H2S were all acids, but do not contain oxygen.

Arrhenius- Also add it explains weak acids in AQUEOUS SOLUTIONS ONLY

B/L theory- Its the only theory that includes the solvent as a determinant to whether the solution is a base or acid, proton (H+) acceptors or donors.

Also mention that Arrhenius definition explains the strong/weakness of acids and bases.

Eg, HCl is a strong base because in AQUEOUS solution, it ionises fully

HCl+ H2O ----> H3O+ + Cl-

Ethanoic acid is a weak acid

CH3COOH + H2O----> H3O+ + CH3COO-

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)