Did Michelson Morley's experiment disprove the existence of aether?? (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Actually there was an interference pattern. They were looking for a change in the interference pattern.

mojako

HSC
Xayma said:
Actually there was an interference pattern. They were looking for a change in the interference pattern.
I was adapting to the writer's point of view :D

ok.. here the story goes... they rotate the apparatus 90 degrees and compare the interference pattern before and after its rotated

wind

HSC
Might also want to sprinkle in a little about how the null result was such a blow to the aether hypothesis, in particular and to theoretical phsyics in general, that the experiment was repeated by many scientists over more than 50 years. A null result has always been obtained.

And add a splash of performing the experiment at different times of the year and at various parts of the Earth :)

mozzie

HSC
AE86 said:
Question as above.

I got confused when i recalled my teacher saying that the experiment alone wasn't enough to disprove the theory of aether.

If it didn't disprove aether then what was its sole purpose?
it did not disprove the aether rather it found that there was no relative velocity of the earth through the aether. its purpose was to detemine the velocity of the aether wind

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)