Did you enjoy Emma by Jane Austen? (1 Viewer)

Did you?

• Total voters

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
bawd said:
She writes formally and does not engage in the idealistic explorations as her 18th century counterparts seem to do (Dickens etc) and always see rhetorical balance as the primary purpose. Jane Austen writes brilliantly, just do some research on her style and you'll understand why.
That is incorrect.

If anything her work is underpinned by the tension between social idealism (which btw, Dickens does not propound in his seminal literature, he is one of the great English realists) as she incorporates epiphanies freely and traditionally fairy-tale 'happy endings'; and social satire which critiques the sentimental novel a la Richardson's Pamela and the economic realities of her time.

While she writes 'formally' (free indirect discourse and use of irony), this does not contribute to the integrity of her body of work. Rather it is an intimate detail that Janeites comment upon, to understand more deeply the mysteries behind 'dear aunt Jane'.

Oh btw her counterparts were 19thC writers, as her first canonical novel was published in 1811.

Emma is quite good though (didn't vote in poll) :)

bawd

HSC
Bobness said:
That is incorrect.

If anything her work is underpinned by the tension between social idealism (which btw, Dickens does not propound in his seminal literature, he is one of the great English realists) as she incorporates epiphanies freely and traditionally fairy-tale 'happy endings'; and social satire which critiques the sentimental novel a la Richardson's Pamela and the economic realities of her time.

While she writes 'formally' (free indirect discourse and use of irony), this does not contribute to the integrity of her body of work. Rather it is an intimate detail that Janeites comment upon, to understand more deeply the mysteries behind 'dear aunt Jane'.

Oh btw her counterparts were 19thC writers, as her first canonical novel was published in 1811.

Emma is quite good though (didn't vote in poll) :)
Ah, thank you for correcting me on my inaccuracies.

But, what I meant about Jane Austen not exploring was that she did not write about things she didn't know or know much of and her writing is mostly about everyday life (eg. Dickens writes about the French Revolution in Tale of Two Cities). Just to clear up the disparity whereas you are talking about textual integrity, I was referring to story content.

MoonWildFlower

HSC
haha i cannot stand jane austen.
i never actually got around to finishing emma...i just get other people's notes off the internet.
it seems to work quite well for me.
i absolutely LOVE reading, but i've never been able to get into any of jane austen's books.
i don't entirely hate most of the storylines, i just feel her books would be better as short stories, without all the useless nothingness that fills most of the pages.
i quite enjoy the movies of all her books though.
which is strange for me, because i basically always like books better than movies...

Last edited:

MrLuvable

HSC
The storyline isnt too bad, its just getting through it and staying awake which was my biggest problem.

If i did read it, i think i wouldn't mind it. But overall its not something I'd want to do again. :)

kaiyam1

HSC
I couldn't even finnish it, watched the movie and almost threw up, and no one dies! what's the point in reading a book without the slightest bit of violence? :mad1:

jennieTalia

HSC
I adored it. Though all her novels are sort of conventional love stories, so you can sort of predict the ending.
I love how you can decipher the character of each person solely through their dialogue. Now THAT is skilled writing :)

Abbyhatch

HSC
NO.
I think it was another one of those things though, where you only really despise something because you are forced to read it. Well, kinda read it. I got 107 pages through it, and still managed to scrape 75% in my exam.
To be honest, I just think it drags on a bit. WRITE SHORTER SENTENCES.

SpoonSamba

HSC
mrs elton made me laugh a lot, was v well written character and reminded me of a lot of ppl u know

the rest was fucking boring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)