Did You Make It To Selective Schools? (1 Viewer)

Did You Make It To Selective Schools?

• Yes

Votes: 117 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • I didn't apply

Votes: 38 20.5%

• Total voters

v.odka

HSC
yeah made it into baulko and hornsby.

chose baulko coz it's closer to where I live. and slightly better ranked.

Numbers

Banned
HSC
nope, i didn't make it into a selective school because i never applied. i'm pretty happy in my school though. :D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
Made it reserve in Year 6.
Haven't applied since. Regretting not applying in Year 10 though- so many students who I thought were uncapable got in :(
What school?

til2010

Admittedly Amateur
HSC
Didn't make it although i had pretty good reports by my old schools standards.
My parents decided public schools in newcastle are terrible so i was sent to
private when we moved up here.
Facilities are better but uniform code is SHITHOUSE.
And I find we're being spoonfed the curriculum, too.

Nonetheless the competition in some private schools is equal to that of some selective schools (scholarship students I'm assuming)

cHoke-meh

HSC
Can i change my vote? :D Was reserve for James Ruse, but then a vacancy opened up and I got it. Woot xD

theviet

HSC
cHoke-meh said:
Can i change my vote? :D Was reserve for James Ruse, but then a vacancy opened up and I got it. Woot xD
lol... when did you find out?

you took the spot of a guy from girraween

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
the-derivative said:
Made it reserve in Year 6.
Haven't applied since. Regretting not applying in Year 10 though- so many students who I thought were uncapable got in :(
You did that to be ironic...right?

nessarhino

HSC
Made it in Year 6.
Declined.
Never applied again.
Heh. :|

I'm okay with my decisions however a lot of my friends got accepted this year which made me feel slightly regretful about my choice of not applying but what can you do. My school is pretty good for the subjects I want to do in Senior school anyway.

ttrinix

HSC
v.odka said:
yeah made it into baulko and hornsby.

chose baulko coz it's closer to where I live. and slightly better ranked.
cool, but u'll be one yr above me

Aznmichael92

HSC
i dont think its too big of a deal if u dont make it to selective. I meann you can still do well outside of a selective school. As for selective schools, I think most of them are the same but for me, conveniency is the most important thing. Gonna be sort of incovenient for me to trvel when I move houses... :(

hn92

HSC
do you guys think that there is a big difference between selective and non-selective schools?

hmm.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
hn92 said:
do you guys think that there is a big difference between selective and non-selective schools?

hmm.
Yes. Alot of things are different, ranging from the attitudes of people towards study to the type of people there as well. When I say the latter, I'm not referring to the stereotype that everybody are nerds - a large majority of selective people lead balanced lives. Only idiots who don't know what they're talking about think everyone from selective school are nerds. Yep yep. :uhhuh:

speedofsound

HSC
hn92 said:

hmm.
Absolutely not. I think the whole thing is over hyped, to be honest.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
made it to ruse in y6, never applied since and never looked back.

nessarhino

HSC
hn92 said:

hmm.
A difference? Yes.
A big difference? No.

In my opinion, the difference with selective schools is the social environment which surrounds you as there are more people in the school who are academic. However this would vary between schools. Also, opportunities to accelerate within the school are also a difference.

Performance-wise, I think it is an individual performance and the school you attend would not affect your personal application to school work and study. I think it depends on the individual if they choose to apply themselves to school well or not - which gives off the better performance in examinations.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
speedofsound said:
Absolutely not. I think the whole thing is over hyped, to be honest.
nessarhino said:
A difference? Yes.
A big difference? No.

In my opinion, the difference with selective schools is the social environment which surrounds you as there are more people in the school who are academic. However this would vary between schools. Also, opportunities to accelerate within the school are also a difference.

Performance-wise, I think it is an individual performance and the school you attend would not affect your personal application to school work and study. I think it depends on the individual if they choose to apply themselves to school well or not - which gives off the better performance in examinations.
Have you guys been to both? If not, it might be best to reserve your judgement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)