Difference between Aldosterone and Vasopressin/ADH (1 Viewer)

jannali rulz

HSC
Hey i was reading my notes and I'm not really getting these two hormones they seem to have the same effect

What i got:
Alsosterone comes from the adrenal cortex
- increaes reabsorbtion of sodium ions
- leads to increases reabsorption of water

Vasopressin/ADH produced by hypothalamus stored in pituary gland
- makes walls of tubules thinner causing increased water reabsorption
* now I'm guessing this would also increases salt reabsorption too because of rules of diffusion

so don't they both end up with the same result. i'm a bit confused as to in what situations the body would releases aldosterone or vasopressin.
Any help appreciated thankyou :)

danz90

HSC
jannali rulz said:
Hey i was reading my notes and I'm not really getting these two hormones they seem to have the same effect

What i got:
Alsosterone comes from the adrenal cortex
- increaes reabsorbtion of sodium ions
- leads to increases reabsorption of water

Vasopressin/ADH produced by hypothalamus stored in pituary gland
- makes walls of tubules thinner causing increased water reabsorption
* now I'm guessing this would also increases salt reabsorption too because of rules of diffusion

so don't they both end up with the same result. i'm a bit confused as to in what situations the body would releases aldosterone or vasopressin.
Any help appreciated thankyou :)
Don't over analyse them.

Just remember that ADH/Vassopresin increases the permeability of the loop of henle and distal tubule (even proximal tubule) to water molecules.

Aldosterone increases permeability of the ascending loop of henle and distal tubules to sodium ions.

Basically everything you have is right ;)

When you have had a lot of water intake, the body will reduce the amount of ADH present, so that more water is released to maintain osmotic balance.

When you are dehydrated and have been sweating after sport activity... the adrenal gland will release Aldosterone into the nephron, and the pituitary gland will release ADH into the bloodstream (which travels to the nephron), so that there is increased permeability of both salts AND water, to compensate for the water loss through sweating/dehydration, and the electrolytes/salts lost through sweating.

Last edited:

Razzah

HSC
I thought ADH/Vasopressin worked on the collecting duct?

frogbutt

Ugliest Member
HSC
it make more water absorb right through the nephron not just the tube

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)