Difference between Bachelor of Medical Science and Pharmacy? (1 Viewer)

pi-ka-chew

HSC
I'm interested in doing pharmacy but i was just wondering what the difference will be if i chose medical science (doing pharmacology in third year)? medical science sounds more interesting so i mean if i want to do pharmacy, would med science be more appropriate for me? or should i just stick with pharmacy?

thanks!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Logic says if you're interested in pharmacy then go for a pharmacy degree.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
theres no jobs in medical/biomedical science

edit: pharmacology is the effect drugs have on the body from a biological perspective its not the same as pharmacy.

stinmo

HSC

edit: pharmacology is the effect drugs have on the body from a biological perspective its not the same as pharmacy.
actually, there r some job for medical science!! LOL such as pharmacologist (heard its salary is about $80,000-$95,000p.a.) also u can b teacher after qualification (takes 1 year) or work in hospital (i dunno what they really do though), but there arnt that many, so many ppl go for postgraduate for medicine, dentistry or yeah

however pharmacologist and pharmacy are totally different as pharmacologist is a job for research and making of new medicine while pharmacy sales the products.

I dont think pharmacologist can open a drug shop

P.S.- by the way, u can be a pharmacologist or other jobs from medical science after B science, but medical science is harder, so, if u r not planning to go for dentistry or medicine, just science will be better,

Last edited:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Most people doing Med Sci are intending to do graduate Medicine. To become a registered pharmacist you have to have a Pharmacy degree, not a Med Sci degree.

pi-ka-chew

HSC
thanks for all the replies! i know which course to go for now. =)

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
How wrong you are. There are two pathways from these degrees. A lot will go on to do research and end up working in a Health Institute or perhaps even for the University (which sort of entices me) or going off into Medicine (which is also really nice). The Medical Science and Biomedical degrees are great stepping stones.

To the OP: Take Pharmacy, it seems like you want to do that. But yes, Pharmacy =/= Pharmacology.

pi-ka-chew

HSC
@aquawhite: yes, pharmacy is the course that i want to do. i was confused before, thinking that pharmacy = pharmacology.

@studentleader: thanks for the advice. i guess most are disappointed because it's difficult to get a job? problem is, even if I don't go into the biomedical sector, it's going to be hard to find employment anyway. there are too many graduates in nearly every field nowadays.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
@studentleader: thanks for the advice. i guess most are disappointed because it's difficult to get a job? problem is, even if I don't go into the biomedical sector, it's going to be hard to find employment anyway. there are too many graduates in nearly every field nowadays.
My girlfriend has just graduated with a degree in Biomedical Sciences - most of the jobs shes applying for you could do with a cert IV.

Check this out though:
Approximately 60 percent of the increase in the number of college graduates from 1992 to 2008 worked in jobs that the BLS considers relatively low skilled—occupations where many participants have only high school diplomas and often even less.
http://collegeaffordability.blogspot.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)