differences in eruption of pompeii and herculaneum? (1 Viewer)

halcyon

HSC
N/A
i want to know if i did this right.

what are the two main differences of the affects of the eruption on herculaneum compared to pompeii. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Amy Lou

Academic
HSC
Well,
Herculaneum because of it's proximity was covered in a deeper layer of ash and mud, it didn't recieve the first ash and pumice of the eruption either.
There is also the difference in the deaths of people due to Pompeii's ash fall people were more likely to be asphyxiated whereas Herculaneum's inhabitants were flattened, suffocated and charred by the surges and flows.

J

jess36

Pompeii was devestated first, although it was first covered in a layer of pumice and lapilli, and herculaneum wasn't so much affected. But, Herculaneum was destroyed pretty much instantaneously from a pyroclastic flow, it just charred anything and everything. The remains at Herculaneum are preserved better than those in Pompeii, this was due to the fact that the volcanic material was lighter and allowed oxygen to reach the remains, whereas the remains at herculaneum were covered in a much more dense and muddier volcanic substance and kept everything preserved better.

i hope this helps someone.

also look at 'secrets of vesuvius' by pamela bradley. you can get the book at dymocks.:wave:

Shoelia

HSC
Yeh basically, the differences are that Pompeii received pumice and stuff due to the direction of the wind. But Herculaneum received the first two surges of pyroclastic flow that Pompeii didn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)