different law schools (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
im thinking of studying at either uow, macq, uws or anu. what is the difference between these law schools, such as the course itself, subjects within the course, the order of the subjects and the fees.

and if anyone can tell me about the psychology that you can combine with law. that is psychology degree that you are recognised by the association. i also realise that uws does not offer this double degree.

the degree is
B Arts(psychology)/LLB or B Psychology/ LLB.

thanks.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
As a subjective opinion,
Macuqarie offers the best psychology.
ANU offers the best law.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
if you dont mind me asking...what are the starting salaries for each course at each of these prospective unis? cause also on top of choosing the right uni for its course, also for the better prospects...

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
I dont know how much the salary differs from uni to uni.

You should be warned though that law does gives a less than fantastic salary, unless you do very well. And it's damn hard to do very well in law.

Then again you may know that already.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
really i dont care about the salary of law. i want to study it and practice it but job prospects and salary averages could affect my decision. that is why i want to study to become a clinical psychologist as well :D

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:
im thinking of studying at either uow, macq, uws or anu. what is the difference between these law schools, such as the course itself, subjects within the course, the order of the subjects and the fees.

and if anyone can tell me about the psychology that you can combine with law. that is psychology degree that you are recognised by the association. i also realise that uws does not offer this double degree.

the degree is
B Arts(psychology)/LLB or B Psychology/ LLB.

thanks.
You don't have to do a B Psych to be recognised by the association. All you need is a major in psych. Hence you can do B Sci/B Laws and still be accredited. However as with both B Psych and B Sci majoring in psych you need either 2 years supervised in the industry post uni, or a PhD I believe.

Jonathan A

HSC
011 said:
As a subjective opinion,
Macuqarie offers the best psychology.
ANU offers the best law.

From the Opinion of the APS Journal of Psychology, UWS is the best psych uni in Australia. (Keep saying it but...) We have 20 Professors in Psych, Mac has none. UWS has the largest psych faculty in NSW, 2nd largest in Aus. UWS is the only Australian university in the APS top-ten unis in the world for psychology (ranked 7).

As for law, I have not come accross a law school which has never stated it has the best law school.

EDIT: just realised MoonlightSonata's comments were sufficient.

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
wrong_turn said:
if you dont mind me asking...what are the starting salaries for each course at each of these prospective unis? cause also on top of choosing the right uni for its course, also for the better prospects...

Standard salary for solicitor in 2003 by a Law Society Study was between $70-80K a year. This is the total average, including those who are new and experienced, and in most areas of practice.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
If you want the avg. salaries check the Good Uni Guide. 50% of ANU graduates don't or can't become lawyers. That is why its recommended to you choose another degree in conjunction with llb.
Starting avg. salaries:
Barristers: newly appointed barristers may struggle to make an acceptable operating profit (no figure given), with experience 40 - 120k
Solicitors: 32 - 42k, with experience 50 - 200k
(source: Graduate Opportunities 2005)

Jonathan A

HSC
wrong_turn said:
really i dont care about the salary of law. i want to study it and practice it but job prospects and salary averages could affect my decision. that is why i want to study to become a clinical psychologist as well :D

I would recommend UWS :)D)). I did a psychology unit last year and found our facilities are very advanced and specisations include clinical social and forensics.

If you do psych/law, you will need to a Grad Dip in Psych or Honours. Then you need to practice for 2 years under supervision and then I am meant to believe you are on your own (the process is just as hard as becomming a solicitor).

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
nuh i asked unsw whether you would be accredited and they said no. but wollongong major through arts does get accredited, and im assuming that macq do as well. but uws i cant do a combined degree of law and psychology.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Hey wrong_turn can i invade ur thread and ask which UNI's let you do a LLB/ Social Science (Criminology) ??? :)
UWS i believe?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well i thought you can do criminology as an elective at macq. i checked it after i got the info the other day.

but i primarily want to do psychology and law combined. and it seems that macq and wollongong are the better choices at the moment. uws is good except it takes so damn long. i was almost crying when the uws lady told me :(

= Jennifer =

HSC
melsc said:
Yep any other unis?

i was looking into this when i was picking my courses

the only other option besides uws is unsw where u do criminology first then law postgrad

in the end uws comes on top once again ;)

[n.b. i love unsw my second pref was criminology :uhhuh: ]

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
wrong_turn said:
well i thought you can do criminology as an elective at macq. i checked it after i got the info the other day.

but i primarily want to do psychology and law combined. and it seems that macq and wollongong are the better choices at the moment. uws is good except it takes so damn long. i was almost crying when the uws lady told me :(
I don't know why you'd choose MAQ over ANU for any reason but not wanting to study in Canberra.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well from the good uni guide it said that about 50% dont get jobs and yeh...the distance :D i live in the stgeorge area and then itd take 2-3 hrs by car, by train..im not sure ......

or else id have to live on campus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)