Dilemma - Advance English (1 Viewer)

ShortSided

HSC
I started a thread before regarding if anyone has moved from Standard to Advance English at the beginning of Prelim. My teacher (who's also the head of the English Department) said that he's willing to move me tomorrow to Advance English but I'm worried it's a bit too much in terms of the work load... My other subjects are 3U Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and SOR.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
I don't see how it would be any longer in terms of workload. You still read/watch the text, analyse it, collaborate ideas and write an essay etc. or narrative. Nothing has really changed in terms of what you do, just how well you performs depends on your ability to grasp the text.

That being said, there are plenty of people who do the same or similar combination. Bit surprised that you do 3 sciences and not have maths 2U at the very least in your combo :)

ShortSided

HSC
I don't see how it would be any longer in terms of workload. You still read/watch the text, analyse it, collaborate ideas and write an essay etc. or narrative. Nothing has really changed in terms of what you do, just how well you performs depends on your ability to grasp the text.

That being said, there are plenty of people who do the same or similar combination. Bit surprised that you do 3 sciences and not have maths 2U at the very least in your combo :)
Thanks! So just give it a shot?

Oh, I forgot to add 3U Maths... LOL!

avhead

no-hope fighter pilot l0l
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
HSC
I was in the same position as you, I picked Standard, but I did well for my end of year report (Got an A, ranking doesn't really matter, shit school) and a Band 6 on my School Cert, and after a bit of thought and thinking that I'm more than capable of doing Advanced, I thought why not, and so I changed it yesterday to Advanced, I don't think that the workload will be too strenuous compared to Standard, but I can't really comment on that just yet. :D

Last edited:

ShortSided

HSC
I was in the same position as you, I picked Standard, but I did well for my end of year report (Got an A, ranking doesn't really matter, shit school) and a Band 6 on my School Cert, and after a bit of thought and thinking that I'm more than capable of doing Advanced, I thought why not, and so I changed it yesterday to Advanced, I don't think that the workload will be too strenuous compared to Standard, but I can't really comment on that just yet. :D
I got a B in the end report but I got a Band 6 as well! Ah, it's good(?) to know someone was in a similar position as me.

Lina3

HSC
Here is my advice...pick Advanced. If you want to get the best ATAR possible, Advanced is the one to do. Getting a band 6 in Standard is very hard. To give you an idea... I heard about 50 people got band 6 in Standard last year, in the Advanced course this number was well into the thousands. In truth, I have had a few classes already and at this stage it doesn't feel like I am doing anything 'advanced' at all!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you can get in, do it. It's worthwhile in the end.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
Do it, same subjects as me and I coped (except SOR)... You can always drop back down but I think it would be a better learning environment in there as well.

FTW

HSC
Ultimately it's your choice and you shouldn't let others opinions pressure you into doing something you don't want. However I do have experience with this so I'll tell you how it went for me.

I went to a small school (just over 40 in my year) and I chose to do Standard in year 11 after much deliberation. I went well and at the end of the year came second, but because a lot of the people doing standard did quite well, we were advised to move up to Advanced for year 12. Now I must say I wasn't the most dedicated to working, in particular English, but the workload was a big jump. I think this is because when I was in standard I felt I didn't have to try and the competition was relatively easy. Being frank, there is more work, but you are also driven to do more because of the tougher competition. I ended up coming right in the middle of the advanced class (after being in standard for yr 11) and ended up with an 85 in Advanced. This ended up being the best decision I made in school, and I don't regret it. It is much easier to get a higher mark in Advanced that Standard, that much is fact, but you do have to work for it.

Hope this helped.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I got a band 5 in English SC and I'm taking on Advanced + Extension 1 Eng so yeah...
Just do it! If you got a band 6 in SC English then you're off to a good start in comparison to me who is someone who got a band 5 in such a supposedly easy exam :/

Examine

same
HSC
I was dyslexic when I was young and I'm doing Ext. 1 English lol.

Coookies

HSC
I changed to Adv in prelim and my class basically finished the book/play "Othello" so I had to do it all myself(including understanding all the Shakespearean words!) in a few short weeks but still managed to beat lots of people :p

ShortSided

HSC
Thank you everyone for your input! Much appreciated. :)

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
From your subject selection, I'm guessing that you're Asian. JK. BUT if you want to change, I suggest you do it ASAP before your destined Adv English class finishes a topic. I'm also caught in a tangle between English Standard and English Advanced and considering my minimal commitment to English, I decided to do Standard.

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
I never understood the difference between Advanced and Standard.
Advanced Students have to compete with Extension Students whereas Standard students only compete with other Standard students in HSC - I think. <- **** wording

Also, arent the prescribed texts for standard much easier to analyse than advanced?

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
I never understood the difference between Advanced and Standard.
only difference is the ridiculous amount of effort to get a band 6 in std english due to its poor aligning.
Texts are a little more complex in advanced but not that bad overall.
I know because I moved up in year 12 to adv english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)