dilemma: maths 2u or 3u [URGENT] (1 Viewer)

mudcake42

HSC
I would definitely do 3 unit. but be prepared to put an extra hard yard in. in my school, although it's techincally worth 1 unit more, its more like 2 units. or maybe thats cus of all the work I put in ...

but anywho, if u do it other subjects like chemistry and biology concepts seem quite simple and easy to understand.

plus it gives u the opportunity to do 4 unit in year 12 if u excel in it!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Don't do maths, period. You will get chlamydia.

and die.

:(

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
appreciate all your advice so far:wave:

undalay

HSC
Do 3 unit. Even if you drop down, you would of still gained some extra knowledge and have an advantage over the 2u math people.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
please tell me more (i have to leave at 5ish today) about the advantage.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
If you're getting 80% over in Maths at the moment, I advise you to DO IT! You're going to dread it if you find later on that 2u is too easy for you, and you'll probably be in a situation where you can't pick 3u up anymore.

IT's better that you're going to experience what it feels like rather than thinking of what it'd be like.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
what topics do you learn in 3u in year 11 & 12?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
3 Unit will definently be the smart choice. It's not that much harder than 2 unit, you just learn different ways or a bit more complex ways to solve a problem.

I do 3 Unit, it's quite easy if you listen in class. It also allows you to do the dreaded 4 Unit which (correct me if Im' wrong) will automatically get you a score of 100% in 2Unit (since if you're doing 4 unit, you only do 3 unit and 4 unit exams for the HSC, thus the 2 unit is deemed 100%).

I find if you're doing maths, you're better off doing 3unit than 2 unit at all.

HSC
tommykins said:
3 Unit will definently be the smart choice. It's not that much harder than 2 unit, you just learn different ways or a bit more complex ways to solve a problem.

I do 3 Unit, it's quite easy if you listen in class. It also allows you to do the dreaded 4 Unit which (correct me if Im' wrong) will automatically get you a score of 100% in 2Unit (since if you're doing 4 unit, you only do 3 unit and 4 unit exams for the HSC, thus the 2 unit is deemed 100%).

I find if you're doing maths, you're better off doing 3unit than 2 unit at all.
yes that is all true. if you're good at math that is.

to clairfy, if you do three unit and four unit it means that those will count for two units each and 2 unit marks effectively count for nothing.

it's a no brainer. if you're good at maths (80%+), you should do three unit. if you're average at maths but still want to do maths just do two unit. if you are below average and still want to do maths do general.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
d3vilz said:
yep, i go to north shore for my tutoring. i've only learnt a few topics of year 11 (algebra, trig, parabola, and a bit of coord. geo)
LOL ! .. ahah i knew it ! .. you are in my exact shoes ! For year 11, like term 1 and 2 at school, half the things you do will already be known to you and you will be comfortable in those topics - that is if you are quite comfortable atm with the way you are going in North Shore. ahah .. i still cant belive what a similiar situation you are in to me last year - its kinda like De Ja Vu. sp?

Kujah said:
Who came last in the Fairfield region?
Merrylands suprisingly. Oh wow. My school done pretty bad too. ahahah .. ><" Bossley done pretty good Kujah ! x(

Fairfield
Type ..... School .......................................................... Exams .................................. DA .......... % ........ Rank
Govt .....Sefton HS ........................................................ 913 ....................................... 163 ......... 17.85 ... 1
Priv ..... Cerdon College Merrylands ................................ 948 ....................................... 108 ......... 11.39 ... 2
Priv ..... Freeman Catholic College ................................. 1059 ..................................... 88 .......... 8.31 ...... 3
Priv ..... Mary MacKillop College .................................... 823 ....................................... 61 .......... 7.41 ..... 4
Priv ..... Patrician Brothers’ College ................................ 924 ....................................... 67 .......... 7.25 ..... 5
Govt .....St Johns Park HS ............................................. 929 ....................................... 44 .......... 4.74 ..... 6
Govt .....Fairvale HS ...................................................... 832 ....................................... 32 ........... 3.85 ..... 7
Govt .....Prairiewood HS ................................................ 811 ........................................ 31 .......... 3.82 ..... 8
Govt .....Canley Vale HS ................................................ 668 ....................................... 25 .......... 3.74 ..... 9
Govt .....Westfields Sports HS ....................................... 1065 ...................................... 37 .......... 3.47 ..... 10
Govt .....Bossley Park HS .............................................. 1031 ..................................... 30 .......... 2.91 ...... 11
Govt .....Cabramatta HS ................................................ 922 ........................................ 24 .......... 2.60 ..... 12
Govt .....Chester Hill HS ................................................ 661 ........................................ 13 .......... 1.97 ..... 13
Govt .....Fairfield HS ...................................................... 928 ....................................... 18 .......... 1.94 ...... 14
Govt .....Holroyd HS ...................................................... 379 ....................................... 5 ............ 1.32 ...... 15
Govt .....Bonnyrigg HS ................................................... 507 ....................................... 6 ............ 1.18 ..... 16
Govt .....Merrylands HS ................................................. 438 ....................................... 3 ............ 0.68 ...... 17
Total .......................................................................... 13838 .................................... 755

Source: Daily Telegraph. http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg...telegraph/comments/top_hsc_schools_by_region/

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Prairewood, Canley Vale and St. Johns beat us :eek:

becthelank

Study Avoider
HSC
i think you sound very capable of 3 unit maths, however you should know that it is a subject you shouldnt attempt unless you really enjoy maths because the course has a massive amount of content. you are expected to pick up the 2 unit work as soon as it is explained to you so that you can concentrate on the hard 3 unit work. i did 3 unit maths in year 11 because i was in the second top class in year 10 and it was a disaster. even girls who were fantastic at maths have dropped to 2 unit- because you spend so much time doing maths that you often find you dont have time for other subjects. i ended up giving up on maths in year 11 and dropped to 2 unit as soon as year 12 started and it changed my life. i am a way more calm, easy going person than i was in year 11. i think that to do well in 3u maths you must be organised and methodical and ready to take the subject seriously - dont make the same mistakes i did!
good luck!

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for everyone's advice:
I"M DOING 2U MATHS.
the reason behind this is i don't really see any point of doing 3u maths coz, i'm not planning to do anything related to chem/phys/bio + i dont want to do an extra 4/5 periods of maths. i'll concentrate on the social sciences.
i'm planning to do:
Maths -2u
English Adv. - 2u
Modern History -2u
Legal Studies - 2u
Society & Culture - 2u
Business Studies/Economic - 2u {new dilemma}

eco vs. bus. which one?????
a)eco - take the risk of a class that may be cut (some smart kids in that), 10ish students.
b) business - do the "easier" work & bludge, stuck with many morons/dumb cunts but a few smart students in the class but do ok/well in the HSC but may get dragged down

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Eco. Sounds more fun than Business studies :p

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
i'm 3rd or 4th in my commerce class (2 class). i think i'm equally good at both business and eco.
option a) business - do the easier work but stuck with morons
option b) economics - not enough for class i reckon, work more interesting/challenging

Black Hawker

HSC
Well, it really depends on your interest and future.

I did Business Studies because I want to start a business some time in the future.

I did Economics because I wanted to do a commerce/engineering double degree at uni.

I'm coming:

Ecomonics - 5/17
Business Studies - 6/27

So it is really up to an individual choice. Forget about scaling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)